THE OFFICIAL BUYOUT THREAD: Bourque or Kaberle?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kaberle.

Our top 6 looks ugly enough as it is WITH Bourque.. without Bourque it's just drop dead embarrassing.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Bourque is a good power forward which we have always wanted and the guy can fight and protect his teammates. I really don't understand why we would move him after barely giving him a chance

He is poor excuse for a power forward. Doesn't play a big man's game, hardly fights and, more recently, doesn't score either.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
All 3 amigos and give Kaberle the standard buyout (as long as Markov is healthy all year).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Other teams are saddled with deals that extend into the 22nd century (Luongo, Lecavalier, Redden and many others). These teams are getting let of a much larger, more painful hook than the Habs.

Redden's deal ends in 2014, just like Gomez's.

Doubt Luongo is bought out. He'll become the Leafs version of Gomez before long. :sarcasm:

Lecavalier could be, especially if you can still re-sign with your team.

Back on topic, my preference is to buyout Bourque. The last 2 years of his deal will leave us :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead if he's still around. I don't think it'll be much of an issue finding a replacement either.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Yes but he was a solid player for the Flames. Maybe the trade shocked him or he didn't feel comfortable after the trade but he has proved he can play and score in this league. I would personally hang on

He was ok, but does he fit with this team? I guess a new coach changes everything. I really liked Mike, maybe I'm just still living in denial.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
why buy out Bourque? So we can spend another 3.3 million a player of similar calibre?

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Another observation: In the rush to rid the team of Gomez and his absurd salary, Habs' fans have not really noticed that the 2-buyout provision of the new CBA actually hurts the Habs more than it helps.

Gomez' deal, however difficult to stomach, is by far the team's worst contract. It expires at the end of next season.

Other teams are saddled with deals that extend into the 22nd century (Luongo, Lecavalier, Redden and many others). These teams are getting let of a much larger, more painful hook than the Habs.

How does that harm the Habs? Some teams have nothing to get rid of.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Tampa Bay would be crazy to not buyout Lecavalier.
  • $7.7M cap hit until 2020!
  • Will be 33-years old soon.
  • Last big season was 5 years ago.
  • TB second-line center.

Need any more reasons?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Because he's already 31 years old and we have him on the books through 2016. Bourque at ages 34-35 could not even be a top 9 forward if his 2011-12 decline continues.

his cap hit represents less than 5% of the current cap. With no depth on wings what is Bourque preventing the Canadiens from doing?

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
so 38 games is enough to judge a player?

Judge a player, yes. Get the whole picture, no. He has to be better, that is why I said we will need to see how he does with this shortened season. He has to be better. A lot better or I would buy him out.

his cap hit represents less than 5% of the current cap. With no depth on wings what is Bourque preventing the Canadiens from doing?

Winning. More seriously, 5% is too much for 1 of 23 roster players who doesn't perform. I have no defense for him and I am not sure why you are. I guess I am being negative, but I doubt he puts it together in a habs jersey. He could put it together, but also he can be the same Bourque as last season. In the end we will have to wait and see.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
It'll be performance based. Both guys have an opportunity to show they belong on the team. If both stink up the joint, I'd put my money on buying out Bourque based on contract length. That, and puck moving defenceman are always popular at the trade-deadline when there isn't any real salary obligation.

SeriousHabs

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Tampa Bay would be crazy to not buyout Lecavalier.
  • $7.7M cap hit until 2020!
  • Will be 33-years old soon.
  • Last big season was 5 years ago.
  • TB second-line center.

Need any more reasons?

You do realize that teams still have the pay the bought out player, right? Can TB afford to pay 20M$+ in buyouts on top of new players to replace Vinny?

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
Buy out Bourque. Next year is Kaberle last year on his contract, Bourque has 3 more years.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Judge a player, yes. Get the whole picture, no. He has to be better, that is why I said we will need to see how he does with this shortened season. He has to be better. A lot better or I would buy him out.

Winning.

Yeah because getting rid of Bourque will magically make the team win.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
How many Caps functions and player events will this guy be invited to this year? :laugh:
hamrlik_roman640_640.jpg

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
I agree with you, it doesn't hurt the habs, but other teams may have more of an advantage, which is why he says it hurts the habs.

Exactly. I repeat: Gomez is off the books in any event at the end of next season. With a buyout, we save 1-year of his cap hit. That's all.

Go down the list of teams--I'm sure most have long-term contracts that they are thrilled to dump. Vancouver and TB are doing cartwheels at the moment.

Tendresse

Capitaine Gorges
Dec 23, 2006
Montréal
I think Kaberle should be bought out before Bourque. Not that I was exactly impressed with the latter's performance last year, but I think an offensively unproductive Bourque brings a lot more than an offensively unproductive Kaberle. We could certainly use the muscle and grit that Bourque has (minus the bad penalties), whereas a cold Kaberle is a commodity we have tons of (FSD, Diaz, Bouillon).

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Yeah because getting rid of Bourque will magically make the team win.

I am not quite certain why you are defending him. Do you really think he will be able to get back to 25-25 and get a lot of dirty rebound goals? I'm pessimistic, but it is nice to see someone has faith.

I don't think we win by getting rid of him, but replacing him with someone else who I think can do better is a start.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I think Kaberle should be bought out before Bourque. Not that I was exactly impressed with the latter's performance last year, but I think an offensively unproductive Bourque brings a lot more than an offensively unproductive Kaberle. We could certainly use the muscle and grit that Bourque has (minus the bad penalties), whereas a cold Kaberle is a commodity we have tons of (FSD, Diaz, Bouillon).

I don't know which Bourque you are talking about. The only Bourque I saw last year was not useful in any end and he isn't really that physical. He may hit a bit, but not that much. I may be biased, but I really don't see what Bourque brings to the team if he isn't scoring from the slot.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I am not quite certain why you are defending him. Do you really think he will be able to get back to 25-25 and get a lot of dirty rebound goals? I'm pessimistic, but it is nice to see someone has faith.

I don't think we win by getting rid of him, but replacing him with someone else who I think can do better is a start.

He played 38 games. He gets paid less than 5% of the cap, it's so insignificant. The team has zero depth on the wings. There is no one to replace him with right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad