OT: The Official 2013 WJC Thread

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
WM20_36.jpg

How come there`s no WJC thread yet?

Team Sweden:

Forwards: Viktor Arvidsson, Jeremy Boyce, Sebastian Collberg, Jacob de la Rose, Filip Forsberg, Linus Fröberg, Max Görtz, William Karlsson, Elias Lindholm, Emil Molin, Rickard Rakell, Victor Rask, Nick Sörensen, Alexander Wennberg

Defencemen: Linus Arnesson, Rasmus Bengtsson, Christian Djoos, Emil Djuse, Hampus Lindholm, Tom Nilsson, Jesper Pettersson, Mikael Vikstrand

Goalkeepers: Oscar Dansk, Joel Lassinantti, Niklas Lundström

Team Russia:

Forwards: Mikhail Grigorenko, Kirill Kapustin, Alexander Khokhlachyov, Yaroslav Kosov, Nikita Kucherov, Yevgeni Mozer, Valeri Nichushkin, Danil Romantsev, Maxim Shalunov, Anton Shenfeld, Andrei Sigaryov, Anton Slepyshev, Vladimir Tkachyov, Bogdan Yakimov, Nail Yakupov, Danil Zharkov, Anton Zlobin

Defencemen: Kirill Dyakov, Yaroslav Dyblenko, Pavel Koledov, Andrei Mironov, Mikhail Naumenkov, Nikita Nesterov, Artyom Sergeyev, Nikita Tryamkin, Alexei Vasilevski, Albert Yarullin

Goalkeepers: Andrei Makarov, Igor Ustinski, Andrei Vasilevski

Team Canada:

Forwards: Anthony Camara, Phillip Danault, Jonathan Drouin, Jonathan Huberdeau, Charles Hudon, Boone Jenner, J.C. Lipon, Nathan MacKinnon, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Ty Rattie, Brett Ritchie, Mark Scheifele, Ryan Strome

Defencemen: Dougie Hamilton, Scott Harrington, Ryan Murphy, Xavier Ouellet, Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly, Tyler Wotherspoon

Goalkeepers: Jordan Binnington, Jake Paterson, Malcolm Subban

Team Finland:

Forwards: Miro Aaltonen, Joel Armia, Aleksander Barkov, Markus Granlund, Henrik Haapala, Markus Hännikäinen, Henri Ikonen, Juuso Ikonen, Ville Järveläinen, Matti Lamberg, Artturi Lehkonen, Robert Leino, Thomas Nykopp, Saku Salminen, Miikka Salomäki, Teuvo Teräväinen

Defencemen: Henri Auvinen, Petteri Lindbohm, Esa Lindell, Olli Määttä, Ville Pokka, Juuso Riikola, Rasmus Ristolainen, Juuso Vainio, Mikko Vainonen, Joonas Valkonen

Goalkeepers: Janne Juvonen, Joonas Korpisalo, Eetu Laurikainen

Team USA:

Forwards: Riley Barber, Cole Bardreau, Tyler Biggs, Alex Galchenyuk, John Gaudreau, Rocco Grimaldi, Ryan Hartman, Sean Kuraly, Mario Lucia, Stefan Matteau, J.T. Miller, Blake Pietila, Vince Trocheck, Jim Vesey

Defencemen: Shayne Gostisbehere, Matt Grzelcyk, Seth Jones, Jake McCabe, Connor Murphy, Mike Reilly, Patrick Sieloff, Brady Skjei, Jacob Trouba

Goalkeepers: John Gibson, Jon Gillies, Garret Sparks

Team Czech Republic:

Forwards: Matej Beran, Petr Beranek, Radek Faksa, Martin Frk, Tomas Hertl, Tomas Hyka, Dmitrij Jaskin, Petr Koblasa, Erik Nemec, Tomas Rousek, Lukas Sedlak, Dominik Simon, Michal Svihalek, Vojtech Tomecek, Jakub Vrana

Defencemen: Milan Doudera, Marek Hrbas, Tomas Kvapil, David Musil, Tomas Pavelka, Jan Stencel, Vojtech Zadrazil, Petr Sidlik, Patrik Urbanec

Goalkeepers: Patrik Bartosak, Jan Lukas, Matej Machovsky

Schedule:
http://www.iihf.com/channels1213/wm20/schedule.html

Let`s go Slovakia! :p:

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
I always go into this tournament expecting average games between Canada/USA and Canada/Russia yet they never disappoint.

JerseySideOfTheRiver

Geaux Devils
Feb 5, 2011
Baton Rouge, LA
so this game going on now against sweden is just an exhibition right? my dad cancelled nhl network so im watching a ****** stream. i thought i read that they were going to stream the games on nhl.com?

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
Pietila looks really good. Had a great shorthanded chance just a bit ago. Good wheels and solid two-way player...

Just what I was thinking too. Seems like they really trust him on the bp too, been out there quite a bit.

Like what I'm seeing from Sweden too, can definitely keep up with the US and passing the puck nicely. Maybe too neat at times, need to shoot the puck more.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Why isn't Larsson playing in this?

Eligibility for this year is being born on/after January 1, 1993. Larsson (and Landeskog/Couturier) were born in late 1992. Because of that, they were the same draft year as RNH, Huberdeau, etc but aren't eligible for this year's WJC as a result.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What is RNH gaining?

Just a chance to play with some friends, on a more important stage than the AHL.

Larsson got to represent Sweden twice at the WJC. This is at least a new experience for RNH. Canadians in particular seem to relish the chance to suit up for the WJC, so if anything Edmonton is earning some level of brownie points with RNH. I forget which columnists wrote about it, but apparently Duncan Keith is still pissed that he got cut during his WJC years.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Larsson got to represent Sweden twice at the WJC. This is at least a new experience for RNH. Canadians in particular seem to relish the chance to suit up for the WJC, so if anything Edmonton is earning some level of brownie points with RNH. I forget which columnists wrote about it, but apparently Duncan Keith is still pissed that he got cut during his WJC years.

Do you think that had to do with him playing at Michigan State instead of major junior? Although I know after his sophomore year he transferred to play with the Kelowna rockets, not sure how old he was then.

I never understood how playing either for college or major junior would influence the WJC rosters. I mean obviously a majority of the USA team has collegiate players and Canada major junior players, but I think it's a little unfair to not pick a kid cause of where he plays.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I never understood how playing either for college or major junior would influence the WJC rosters. I mean obviously a majority of the USA team has collegiate players and Canada major junior players, but I think it's a little unfair to not pick a kid cause of where he plays.

Politics and entrenched beliefs are definitely playing into it. The perception is that the NCAA is the weaker development path, and that's why they often pass up players from there that should go.

And it's not limited to just Canada. I seem to remember Urbom getting cut from the Swedish team simply because he offended the powers that be in Swedish hockey by leaving the Swedish junior league to play in the WHL. The coach gave some nonsense excuse about him being too much of an offensive defenceman, but we all knew the real reason.

apice3*

Politics and entrenched beliefs are definitely playing into it. The perception is that the NCAA is the weaker development path, and that's why they often pass up players from there that should go.

And it's not limited to just Canada. I seem to remember Urbom getting cut from the Swedish team simply because he offended the powers that be in Swedish hockey by leaving the Swedish junior league to play in the WHL. The coach gave some nonsense excuse about him being too much of an offensive defenceman, but we all knew the real reason.

Didn't Landeskog do the same thing?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Didn't Landeskog do the same thing?

Yes, but Landeskog is a forward, and he was a lock for the the team. There was no way they could keep him off, but reportedly Swedish hockey's bigwigs have never been pleased that he left for North America so early. They prefer their kids to stay there in nearly every case.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

- Can't wait to see what Matteau will bring when facing real adversity when the tournament will get underway and if he'll be able to control himself... the kid looks like a firecracker waiting to explode.

- Joel Armia looked like a giant yesterday against the Canadians and was brushing off his checkers like he was playing against 5 year old kids.

- Malcom Subban looks real average in nets so far (including the prospect camp). He had the worst save% and GAA from all 3 netminders at camp and that 3rd goal Finland scored on the short side, glove side, was a stinker.

- Jonathan Drouin is going to be a beast... book it. Who ever picks him in this years draft is going to have a franchise player for many years to come.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
- Can't wait to see what Matteau will bring when facing real adversity when the tournament will get underway and if he'll be able to control himself... the kid looks like a firecracker waiting to explode.

- Joel Armia looked like a giant yesterday against the Canadians and was brushing off his checkers like he was playing against 5 year old kids.

- Malcom Subban looks real average in nets so far (including the prospect camp). He had the worst save% and GAA from all 3 netminders at camp and that 3rd goal Finland scored on the short side, glove side, was a stinker.

- Jonathan Drouin is going to be a beast... book it. Who ever picks him in this years draft is going to have a franchise player for many years to come.
My favorite Finn in 2011 and 2012. I was really surprised when Buffalo got him at #16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad