OT: The Official 2013 WJC Thread

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Not that I'm particularly upset about it, but I think a certain someone is missing from this list :p:

null-2.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Larsson is too old for this year's tourney.

NHL.com feed doesn't appear to be working (for me at least). All I have is a choppy Justin.tv stream. I sometimes worry about myself getting up at 5am while sick to watch this....

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Larsson is too old for this year's tourney.

NHL.com feed doesn't appear to be working (for me at least). All I have is a choppy Justin.tv stream. I sometimes worry about myself getting up at 5am while sick to watch this....

TG tweeted a few days ago that he is eligible, but no Swedish officials inquired to Lou, but then corrected himself and I missed that. I retract my vitriol.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
TG tweeted a few days ago that he is eligible, but no Swedish officials inquired to Lou.

TG has his info wrong in that case. Larsson is a '92 birthday and '93s are the oldest allowed. This is why Sean Couturier (amongst other '92s) isn't on Team Canada or Gabriel Landeskog isn't on Team Sweden.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
What a crazy outcome of this WJC if USA grabs the gold and Canada goes without a medal... I really wanted them to beat RUS, but still...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Couldn't have been a better-timed year for the US to win this, with the added attention towards the tournament (thanks to no NHL), bitterness by hockey fans toward the lockout and the Gold Medal game being on a weekend morning.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yup I can see why Lou liked this kid enough to draft him. Sounds like a Devil to me.

Honestly he reminds me a lot of Zharkov. Lots of speed, very good defensively, tenacious on the forecheck, and little offensive finish. I think Zharkov has a higher offensive IQ and is a significantly better passer, but for the most part they seem very similar.

FirmestPiano

May 22, 2011
I'd say it's harsh to say that Pietila hasn't got any finish. It's a short tournament and his line weren't really getting that many chances. He does have 10 goals for Michigan Tech this year after all, in 17 games. I thought his passing was one of his assets the games I saw.

How Forsberg was included in the all star team and voted one of Swedens best players is beyond me. He was horrible throughout the tournament. Never uses his line mates, trying to make fancy moves every shift and losing the puck. Not a leader on the ice either. Lots of other players more deserving.

Gaudreau wasn't really anything special either (easy goals, anonymous in all other aspects), but guess there weren't really that many top performances from forwards this year.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Just watched a DVR of the USA WJRs taking the gold. Way to go Boys!!!

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Was busy ALL day, so just now watching the replay, and amazingly managed to avoid the score all-day in the internet age (probably would have been impossible in Canada).

Did anyone notice after the ENG there was not 1, but TWO additional "backwards USA flag" fouls?

To be fair, while everyone here decries these people as idiots, in a moment of excitement I can 100% understand how this could happen.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Overall, I'll say 4th is the true place of this Canadian squad this year.

The Devils HFBoard has the fewest number of obnoxiously arrogant "Canada is the bestest everz and everyone else sucks" ice hockey posters (if ANY), so I almost feel bad saying this.... but you know how whenever Canada loses one of these things the excuse is ALWAYS "our best players werent there"? Well...this year their best players pretty much WERE there, and they went home empty-handed. I imagine this will not be taken well north of the 49th parallel.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
That Swedish kid they just showed laying up against the boards dejected and angry, but NOT crying, watching every minute of the gold medal presentation?

I have no idea who he is or if he's even one of the Swedish players NHL capable, but THAT'S who I want on my team. The kid that HATES losing SO much that it looks like he wants to pay ANOTHER 60 minutes IMMEDIATELY (wish I caught the back of the jersey to remember the name, he might be somebody someday).

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It was a final between the two best and the two most likable teams in the tournament. Is what I think.

It was a great game.

Sweden was lucky to survive the 1st period.

The second period and first 5 or 10 minutes of the 3rd were even, then Sweden took it to Team USA for the last 10 minutes.

You really cant ask for much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad