Prospect Info: The Official 2013 Draft Thread, Part III: 17th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
If there is a player they really like which i'm guessing there is, gotta try.

Let's say Brian Murray loooves Monahan and thinks he will be a #1 center for the long term. We get an offer on the 5th overall pick, the offer is Cowen + 17th overall + Puempel

Do you make that deal? In a deep draft like thins one, there's a good chance that whatever player we get at 17 will be very good as well....is the difference between say, Monahan, and 17th REALLY worth Cowen + Puempel?

I doubt it. In fact, i'd bet money to the contrary.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
TSN has talked about Toronto talking about Gardiner+21st for the 5th so how is the above package not enough? Am I overrating Cowen? I would think Cowen+17th is a better deal for them.

Like i posted before, if you can trade him and pick for monahan and morin or nurse and gauthier/mantha/rychel go for it. Those 2 dmen look to be able to think the game quicker and move quicker (very important). It's not like they'd be giving cowen away for nothing and not getting a very good or better prospect back.
And i'm not saying cowen sucks.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Like i posted before, if you can trade him and pick for monahan and morin or nurse and gauthier/mantha/rychel go for it. Those 2 dmen look to be able to think the game quicker and move quicker (very important). It's not like they'd be giving cowen away for nothing and not getting a very good or better prospect back.
And i'm not saying cowen sucks.

Well apparently there is no "and".

How much do you know about morin and nurse?

That they could possibly be better than Cowen, or worse. Either way it's going to take a few years to find out.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Monahan and Lindholm are likely to be mainstays of NHL teams too. I'd like that to be us.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
agreed. Cowen will be a mainstay of an NHL team, I want that team to be the Ottawa Senators.

Monahan and Lindholm are likely to be mainstays of NHL teams too. I'd like that to be us.

That's the difference though!

How do I get the stream on TSN.ca? I can't seem to find the link on the website. Or will it come on at 2pm?

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
I hope we dont trade cowen. He is a player that will make you kick yourself for trading when he wins the cup... ala chara.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
If it was Cowen straight up for the 5th overall I would do that in a heartbeat.

I love Cowen, and he is going to be an amazing defenceman, but I would easily do that trade.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
If it was Cowen straight up for the 5th overall I would do that in a heartbeat.

I love Cowen, and he is going to be an amazing defenceman, but I would easily do that trade.

you guys are all nuts.

Trading Cowen who has 4 years of development to be replaced by?

And to leave a big hole in defense? It's a recipe for failure.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Cowen will never be as good as Chara. Also people have to remember we let Chara go for nothing. We didn't trade him for Backstrom or Toews otherwise we'd be looking back on that whole situation a lot differently.

If the 5th or 6th is available for Cowen it'd be hard to turn down. Not saying we have to do it, or that we would, but it's something that is more than fair value and would probably benefit us down the road.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Cowen is not Chara and the 5th, 6th whatever isn't Backstrom or Toews.

Each player is unique, you can look at probability all you want but I guarantee you no actual hockey person gives one rats ass.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Sometimes people are too attached to their own players. I love Cowen and wouldn't just give him away, but if we could trade him straight for the 5th overall, thats a good trade.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Sometimes people are too attached to their own players. I love Cowen and wouldn't just give him away, but if we could trade him straight for the 5th overall, thats a good trade.

Trading Cowen for the #5 would be insane. Every year at draft day people get caught up with the potential of players and grossly overvalue them.

There is no way Cowen for the 5th straight up is a good deal for the Sens. It would set the team back years as we wait for yet another young player to develop, and we are already one short in the top 4.

If we do make a play for a higher pick we need to deal from a position of strength. That means prospects, Cs, or a mix of both. If that does not get it done then a very good player will be available at 17 who could help us out down the road.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Sometimes people are too attached to high draft picks. I love the 5th overall and wouldn't just give it away, but if we could trade it straight for a real NHL player with a high ceiling like Cowen, thats a good trade.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
So we trade Cowen for 5th overall and draft a forward? Is that the plan then? Who is going to be playing defence...

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Some way, somehow, I want Nichushkin ! , there's probably 0.000000000000005% chance, but a guy can dream right?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
No chance Cowen is moved simply for a pick, you just don't move this type of player especially since he is a dman in a league where dman are valued so high, unless its a massive overpayment.... 5th overall isn't close imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad