Post-Game Talk: The offensive black hole gets bigger

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Do you guys think if we had dats/Z from 06-09 playing on our current team that we would be contenders? Or would our defense still hold is back? I'm guessing it would.
I think we'd be contenders easily. The defense would hold us back from being as dominant as we were back then, but we'd still be a legit top team.

I mean, you can't ignore that Datsyuk isn't even on the level he was last year. Turning the clock back to 06-09 changes the impact that Z and Dats have not only on the scoreboard, but on everything. Physically, defensively, in terms of the minutes they could play and how much they could carry other players.

Heck with the goaltending Mrazek gives us and the things Larkin is doing, I think we'd look scary with prime Dats and Z.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
with prime Z and D they would be like '06 canes or 08-09 pens. good goaltending (though pens didn't get that in 09), couple of best forwards in the NHL, very good depth at forward but medicore defense.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
I think we'd be contenders easily. The defense would hold us back from being as dominant as we were back then, but we'd still be a legit top team.

I mean, you can't ignore that Datsyuk isn't even on the level he was last year. Turning the clock back to 06-09 changes the impact that Z and Dats have not only on the scoreboard, but on everything. Physically, defensively, in terms of the minutes they could play and how much they could carry other players.

Heck with the goaltending Mrazek gives us and the things Larkin is doing, I think we'd look scary with prime Dats and Z.

Agreed. As for the current situation, Dats has been heating up lately and has the points to show for it. It is vital for out offensive woes that he and Z start producing on a clip they are supposed to.

Actual Thought*

Put Jurco on the slow boat to China and I would love these lines. This team misses Miller.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Ehhh i'm not sure i totally agree with that. 4.75 million to put up 50-55 points seems pretty reasonable. Also with the life of contract taking place entirely in his 20's makes it more valuable. I agree that Nyquist isn't going to drive the play on most nights, but his offensive instincts are legitimately good.

I don't think it's fair to criticize him for not being on pace for 50-55 points when his primary center is Riley Sheahan. It's too bad too, really expected more from Sheahan this season. Not 50 points, but not less than what he put up last year.

He's proving he's not a core player. He's only as good as the players around him, and he's being paid as a core winger.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

I guess Kronner is out? Or not practicing?

He's not on either unit + Smith is in?

nvm

I hope this means Green is on the first unit though. Would make more sense to just have Smith sub in there if the intention was to keep Kronner on the 1st, right?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Green on the first would be nice. Won't complain about testing Smith on the 2nd instead of Kronner either.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
New lines, ohoy!

:handclap:

All those things are awesome. Larkin over Helm. Helm finally on the 4th line. I think he and Jurco could do decently together. Jurco's picked it up a bit lately and with a speedster who excels in the bottom six like Helm they might do some damage. Pulks hopefully gets some good passes from Richards and Sheahan and they get to play 3rd line. Tats and Gus need to knock it up another notch and the team could be golden.

And Marchy is back. YAY.

Only thing I'm meh about is no way to find Sheahan a spot on either PP unit? Dude is money in front of the net. I think Larkin is better as a roamer anyway. He's got a nice shot, he's fast. I think you're kinda wasting him as a net front guy.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Im willing to give these lines a shot, but am I the only who thinks that third line won't be very impactful in the offensive zone?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
He's proving he's not a core player. He's only as good as the players around him, and he's being paid as a core winger.

Agree with the first point - he's not a core player. As of now, neither he or Tatar are looking like they're going to be able to Drive The Bus (TM) in the future.

But he's not being paid like a core winger, by about $2-3M (or $5M if you're a core winger in Chicago).

Like the new lines tho :)

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

I agree that he isn't a core player, but with the length and term of the contract, it doesn't look like he is being paid "core player" money.

If he puts up close to 50 points this season with Sheahan as his primary center, i would consider that an excellent season.

Do you think Gator would put up 40 points if his center was Sheahan?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Didn't know where to post this, but:

The Players Tribune: 'A School Known to All' by Justin Abdelkader
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/justin-abdelkader-college-hockey-red-wings/

My last assignment was a 22-page research paper on the emergence of advanced analytics in hockey, which was really interesting, because I was able to use statistics to prove some of my gut reactions about the players I go up against in real life. I used metrics like High Danger Zone Scoring Chance and CORSI Differential to get a deeper look at some of my NHL colleagues.

watch the games, nerd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad