The off-season goalie megathread

BigBush*

I think Murrays been doing great job in Buffalo. They'll for sure be a lot better this year.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's worth noting that there was a time when both Lindback and Markstrom were considered can't miss goaltending prospects. If you go back a couple of years, you'll also recall that the hockey world had Malcolm Subban's name etched on the Vezina multiple times already. Goalie prospects seem to rise and fall faster than boy bands.

I'll admit to being a big Lehner fan boy as recently as a year ago. My sense, though, is that the team has soured on him as much for character issues as anything else. Rumblings are that he is not the most popular guy in the room, hence the reason why players were so quick to praise and embrace Hammond. ("Hey, a goalie who isn't surly and remote all the time!") Obviously Lehner has a ton of athleticism and potential, and trading him does have the potential to come back and bite us, but there's also a good chance that he ends up as just another guy who flashed talent but couldn't deliver consistently.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's worth noting that there was a time when both Lindback and Markstrom were considered can't miss goaltending prospects. If you go back a couple of years, you'll also recall that the hockey world had Malcolm Subban's name etched on the Vezina multiple times already. Goalie prospects seem to rise and fall faster than boy bands.

Yeah, crazy to think Lindback at one point was traded for the 37th and 50th pick in 2012 along with a third.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Lehner 47 votes 34.31%
Anderson 44 votes 32.12%
Hammond 42 votes 30.66%

Jeez...

To me, Lehner is clearly the one to go...

sens4life

May 15, 2007
Reality
Lehner v Andy - who do you want to see traded?

Interested in what the fanbase thinks. Of course, the return matters, but who would you rather trade? Andy or Lehner?

Mods, kill if this poll has been posted before.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I don't want to see them traded but if I'm picking one to keep - I'd rather keep the more proven Anderson. We're talking about goalies so age isn't quite as big a deal as it is for a skater.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I don't really want Lehner to play here anymore... And I believe Anderson has been our MVP for large chunks of his time here.

I will be really mad if Anderson is dealt. If he is hopefully Hammond and Lehner are up for 82 games and several playoff rounds.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Lehner might be worse right now but he won't be for long. He's due to breakout while Anderson is due for a regression. Besides it's not like we're going to be contending next year, we're still 2-3 years away at least, and by that time Anderson may not be a capable starting goaltender anymore.

If Anderson can return more than Lehner, the choice is obvious - move the older, more expensive goaltender and get more in return.

In other words, sell high - buy low.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
whoever gets us the best return

For me. (And this is just me). I could care less about the return. I don't think we are better off if Anderson returns Eberle or ROR straight up. No established reliable veteran starter is an incredible risk to take as our window is opening on being a contender... Or even elite if we spend to the cap and buy talent wisely. Even if it looks good on paper... Doesn't make use better if we don't get top line goaltending like Anderson has provided for us. Anderson WILL be solid. Lehner/Hammond MIGHT be solid.

And if we only get a late draft pick for Lehner... I don't care. To me 3 goalies is bad news and now Lehner is in the group if contracts we want rid of with Greening and the others most always mention.

Just my opinion. I want to believe that Anderson is not even up for trade but maybe he is. Maybe Lehner is great next year? I just don't see it. But I am not GM and obviously management knows more then I do. I just don't see trading Anderson as a viable move.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lehner is probably the guy who is going to be traded since we really have no idea what we have in Hammond as of yet. He could turn out to be great & he also may not, no one knows for sure. The same applies for every other goalie in our system. Anderson at the least has won one round for us but there are questions with him as well.

However, saying that Ottawa could be in a situation in a yr or two when they are in a position to go for it but their goaltending made not be up to the task & they will need a #1 goalie. I've never been really sure whether Anderson can take this team all the way or not, I have my doubts. Of course, Lehner has also had his chance to take the #1 job & did not, whereas, at least Hammond had that one great run that the other two have never had. Tough decision! Maybe going with the best return is not a bad idea at all.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Depends.. If Murray is able to do some moves that add to the defense to make us better right now i'd rather trade Lehner. If Murray cant make moves to add to the defense i'd rather trade Anderson.

Anderson to me = compete now but with this crappy defense i see zero chance we can win a cup or get past the second round.

Lehner to me = compete for the future

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Trading Anderson may put Ottawa back a little bit as their fate will now depend on hopes that Lehner get better in a hurry.

On the flip side, you get to keep Lehner and get back more on a trade.

Which direction is this team going? More rebuild? Or contend to go past round 1?

The Jangle Meister*

For me. (And this is just me). I could care less about the return. I don't think we are better off if Anderson returns Eberle or ROR straight up. No established reliable veteran starter is an incredible risk to take as our window is opening on being a contender... Or even elite if we spend to the cap and buy talent wisely. Even if it looks good on paper... Doesn't make use better if we don't get top line goaltending like Anderson has provided for us. Anderson WILL be solid. Lehner/Hammond MIGHT be solid.

And if we only get a late draft pick for Lehner... I don't care. To me 3 goalies is bad news and now Lehner is in the group if contracts we want rid of with Greening and the others most always mention.

Just my opinion. I want to believe that Anderson is not even up for trade but maybe he is. Maybe Lehner is great next year? I just don't see it. But I am not GM and obviously management knows more then I do. I just don't see trading Anderson as a viable move.

I dont think Anderson is a sure bet for the regular season like some think, He is a great goalie but if we go on a terrible losing streak just because we dont have Anderson that should give us some big question marks for our roster. If we improve our roster enough we shouldnt need elite goaltending to make the playoffs, just solid, imo one of Lehner or Hammond should be able to give us that.

To me its the best return, keeping Anderson is good because you know what youre getting - but if we are not going to compete for the cup within three years then you can make the argument for Lehner, especially if Anderson is gonna net you a bigger piece for our team. IM fine with either one being traded, im not fine with a poor return.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
Where's the Hammond option? Flip him while he's "hot." Anderson is too valuable to the short term success, and while I still feel Lehner needed more AHL time, but he's the goalie of the future. Hammond is gonna come back down to earth in the first 20 games of the season.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I can't choose either... It sucks that one of them has to go. I'm guessing Lehner is the odd one out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I love Andy but if we're thinking about the future here he's the one.

Unless Murray ponies up and acquires a top end talent like Pavelski we aint gonna be competing for cup next year and by then we'd have seen enough of Lehner/Hammond to perhaps bring in other help for a 2nd round pick.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Lehner was perhaps the worst goalie in the NHL last season. He was really not good. Before that he was pretty good, but never was consistent enough to even threaten taking the starting job.

I don't know how so many overlook how truly bad Lehner was last season. I would get thinking that way if you just ignore last season... But how do you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad