The off-season goalie megathread

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The Yashin trade was Johnson's finest moment. But there were other things besides the Tugnutt trade I didn't like about that regime. The one I really remember is them trading Andre Roy for Juha Ylonen. It may have been an ok move on paper since Roy was purely a tough guy. But when your team is constantly being bullied and your skill players can't freely play their game (as was happening to the Sens in the 2001/2002 season) then you definitely DON'T make that situation worse by trading away your tough guy for a wimpy 4th line center.

Who knows what the whole story was there. Roy may have been a bad influence in the locker room or whatever. But it doesn't matter. Marshall Johnson did not take the proper pulse of his team. He didn't look for the right mix. He just added more of what they already had. If they had included a little more physicality in that forward group they could have done better in those years and especially against the Leafs.

That was the one (and only) thing Muckler was good at. Recognizing that the team had a passive, heartless culture and doing something about it..... sometimes intangibles do count for something............

Except Muckler never actually dealt with it. We all knew what we needed, everyone did, and he failed to get it year after year...

Gary Friggin' Roberts.... It's a running joke for sure, but absolutely true.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011

BigBush*

Here's another Sens goalie article relevant to the thread. It sounds like GM Murray wants to keep Anderson and trade Lehner?!? Makes no sense to me especially when they gave up on Bishop and he takes over the #1 goalie duties for the Stanley Cup finalists/runnersup team. Why would you risk another screwup by thinking Lehner won't pan out? He's only 23, right?!?

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/18/murray-senators-will-talk-goalie-trade-right-up-to-draft-day
This is new news to you? From the sounds of it, Lehner has been shopped for a while now.

I don't want to trade Andy right now. Most fans think he's a top 10 goalie when healthy

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
This is new news to you? From the sounds of it, Lehner has been shopped for a while now.

I don't want to trade Andy right now. Most fans think he's a top 10 goalie when healthy

On top of that, I think it was pretty telling with the post game interviews during the streak with Hammond. Players were saying they loved playing for a guy like Hammond and reading between the lines, I think the players kind of got frustrated with Robin's post goal reactions. A few years ago I was 100% on board the Lehner bandwagon but I think he is going to be traded and its going to be better for all involved.

SenatorArmy*

Here's another Sens goalie article relevant to the thread. It sounds like GM Murray wants to keep Anderson and trade Lehner?!? Makes no sense to me especially when they gave up on Bishop and he takes over the #1 goalie duties for the Stanley Cup finalists/runnersup team. Why would you risk another screwup by thinking Lehner won't pan out? He's only 23, right?!?

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/18/murray-senators-will-talk-goalie-trade-right-up-to-draft-day

What has Lehner done to deserve the same sort of accolades as Bishop? Bishop benefits from backstopping a on a powerhouse Tampa team that doesn't need extraordinary goaltending. I'm not saying Lehner won't be a good goalie one day but he's years away IMO. Anderson is the only sure thing right now & right now I have more faith in Hammond than I do in Lehner. But we're blessed to have so much depth in goal that you can't really go wrong one way or another but I'm sure that won't stop people from saying we did go wrong no matter what we do.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
trading a contract with a goalie

so based on the press conference earlier his week, seems Murray is trying to package a bad contact with whatever goalie he gets rid of even if doing that results in less of a return. I think I have just calmed down enough from hearing that to post about it. It isn't like we are up against the cap, we have all kinds of space to sign the players that need contracts.

I was really hoping that all of the increased TV revenue would result in something other than a shoe string budget but I guess not.

WhiteLight*

I don't think it's 100% due to the budget. It's about having a gazillion forwards under contract

Plus seeing Greening and Legwand go is addition by subtraction. Far from a bad thing.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
so based on the press conference earlier his week, seems Murray is trying to package a bad contact with whatever goalie he gets rid of even if doing that results in less of a return. I think I have just calmed down enough from hearing that to post about it. It isn't like we are up against the cap, we have all kinds of space to sign the players that need contracts.

I was really hoping that all of the increased TV revenue would result in something other than a shoe string budget but I guess not.

If you continue to listen through that same interview you will hear Murray acknowledge that we have a budget and that we will not spend to the cap. The cap is irrelevant, but the budget is. We are essentially looking at using an asset (goaltender) to save cash in the budget, which can then be used to sign RFAs, re-sign Condra, or go after the top 6 forward that BM has been after forever.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
We have too many players on this team. There are guys like Prince and Puempel who should be getting a chance but worst players are in their way because of contracts.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Using a goalie to offload a bad contract is not necessarily the worst thing in the world for this team. That extra cash could be used to make a splash in another way, such as having the resources to pay for the top 6 BM has been after.

Having said this, I thought the same thing about the Spezza trade. The extra resources we used were put into signing Legwand, so....

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Using a goalie to offload a bad contract is not necessarily the worst thing in the world for this team. That extra cash could be used to make a splash in another way, such as having the resources to pay for the top 6 BM has been after.

Having said this, I thought the same thing about the Spezza trade. The extra resources we used were put into signing Legwand, so....

I think the bolded should be stressed. I am still apprehensive about including an anchor contract in the goalie deal for fear of not getting the best asset coming back this way, however if they are unloaded for picks etc. the saved cash goes to another signing, so the trade would indirectly contribute to getting a better asset in the long run. We might be underwhelmed with the initial return on the impending trade, but at the end of the day it's about allocating dollars in the right areas.

But it's eventually signing/trading for the right player that then becomes the issue.. no more "potential top 6" Chia's and Cory's.

BigBush*

Still predicting Lehner and some cap dumps to Buffalo. I can see a deal being made around the 31st draft pick

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Ya.. I'm not down with supplying two of our division rivals with their starting goaltenders.

The preference would be to trade him to Edmonton, but if the deal is much better (including a contract can be much better) from Buffalo than you do it.

I'm just not a Bishop fan and I don't believe he will be a starting goalie very much longer. This isn't because he was traded from the Sens which will immediately get stated, I just don't see a technically sound goalie there.

We can have the Lehner debate, he is a technically sound goalie but goalies rise and they fall all the time, only the really good ones remain consistent over a long period of time. Does Sens management feel Lehner can become consistent, that's the question they are asking, not if he starts in Buffalo. I'll say it again, even if it's not directed at you, you never NOT make a trade because you think the traded player "might" do well elsewhere.

BigBush*

The preference would be to trade him to Edmonton, but if the deal is much better (including a contract can be much better) from Buffalo than you do it.

I'm just not a Bishop fan and I don't believe he will be a starting goalie very much longer. This isn't because he was traded from the Sens which will immediately get stated, I just don't see a technically sound goalie there.

We can have the Lehner debate, he is a technically sound goalie but goalies rise and they fall all the time, only the really good ones remain consistent over a long period of time. Does Sens management feel Lehner can become consistent, that's the question they are asking, not if he starts in Buffalo. I'll say it again, even if it's not directed at you, you never NOT make a trade because you think the traded player "might" do well elsewhere.

Ya, I agree. It really just comes up to what is being offered for Lehner, and I think Tim will play the most, by quite a bit.

Really disagree with Bishop though. Not technically sound but really athletic. and **** me you cant teach being 6'7

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya.. I'm not down with supplying two of our division rivals with their starting goaltenders.

Don't worry. To me, it doesn't feel like Buffalo is being rebuilt the proper way at all. Too many kids, no direction, no defense, no goaltending. Feels like Edmonton 2.0.

Lehner may be a potential franchise goalie, but he'll never have a chance to reach that ceiling in Buffalo.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Don't worry. To me, it doesn't feel like Buffalo is being rebuilt the proper way at all. Too many kids, no direction, no defense, no goaltending. Feels like Edmonton 2.0.

Lehner may be a potential franchise goalie, but he'll never have a chance to reach that ceiling in Buffalo.
they've got some young defensemen, great future depth down the middle, bunch of veterans to help lead, a very strong winger in Kane. it's shaping up although obviously a long way to go.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad