The Odd Oiler Out

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Jones definitely has a higher upside for sure, don't disagree there. Jones just hasn't been great as he usually is this year and has been pushed down the lineup. Also he has been on an incredible defensive team so he will look better defensively then he is.

I'm all for moving guys for Jones, just don't think moving Klefbom for another defender is that great of an idea right now, especially with his contract.

To each their own.

One thing to think about tho is how awesome having Nurse/Reinhart on the left side and Jones/Sekera on the right side as our top four in a couple years would be. I see that as a massive upgrade over any combination of potential top 4 candidates we currently can mash together.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I think three scoring lines could be an option.

XXX-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Draisaitl-XXX

Pouliot could switch between the first and second line depending on which works better. I guess it depends exactly who would fill in the last two spots... if it's going to be Purcell or a fourth liner like Klinkhammer then it's probably not worth it.

I think that your suggestion is way to go. We just need to go out and trade for some veteran players who have heart and soul characters to put into XXX places. This team is skilled but too young.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I wish we had signed Frolik and been able to trade Yak + the 2nd rounder for Reinhart while drafting Barzal.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wish we had signed Frolik and been able to trade Yak + the 2nd rounder for Reinhart while drafting Barzal.

I think I needed to see Yak to where he is now before being able to agree with you. Hindsight and you are 20/20 in this situation.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

You realize if it wasn't for the Oilers game Frolik would have 0 goals and 8 assists in 15 games. The guy is a no show he makes Semin look like he puts in more effort and that's saying alot.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
You realize if it wasn't for the Oilers game Frolik would have 0 goals and 8 assists in 15 games. The guy is a no show he makes Semin look like he puts in more effort and that's saying alot.

8 assists in 15 games is pretty impressive... Maybe that's just me.

edit: Impressive is the wrong word, "not bad" would be better.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I didn't read the whole article. I stopped when the corsi's were announced for Nuge and Hall with Drai. Why? Because Nuge and Hall were previously playing without Ebs, but with Sleppy, Percy, Hendy and some other smatterings of players here and there.

But we do know what Ebs can do from previous viewings by most of us.

And people are still unsure if Yaks was a 1 off good player with McDavid. That's still hard to pin point because the rest of the time Yaks has been saddled with the poor play of Lander. But we don't know if it's Lander or Purcell, who seems to drag everyone down.

All I know is that there has to be some changes in certain positions. I'm really trying to post this without pointing fingers at any individual player, but it's really difficult to do.

I won't even mention the hemmed in D, as that is a whole new thread on its own. And it hasn't even been 20 games yet. I'm both patient and frustrated, maybe I'll just cheer for the Flames to lose and be happy.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
First and foremost I want to say I rarely disagree with you from what ive seen of your posts.

But this has me scratching my head.

Klefbom started out doing OK but has struggled in his own zone over the last ten games. The Klefbom love is pretty low right now and rightly so. He has potential but not Jones potential.

I have not watched a Nashville game this year but I typically watch at least 5-6 a year. Been a follower of Nashville fan for a long time.

From previous years Jones looks head and shoulders better than Klefbom has overall. Its not close. So unless you actually have watched a few Nashville games and can tell me he has taken a significant step back. I don't see how you can compare the two. Go to the main boards and put Klefbom = Jones and see how well that goes down.

Jones Imo should have gone first overall his year. Most put Jones as superior to Ekblad in thier respective draft years.

Those kind of guys are just at a different level then Klefbom.

Klefboms contract is the only thing that "could" make him a better choice but a lot has to happen for that to take place.
You thought Jones should have gone over MacKinnon? Yikes, I can't take that seriously.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Picking up cheap vets means cap room, which is the greatest asset a team could have. It also means the team doesn't use assets to fill those roles and can use them on defense.

Basically, cap space + extra assets = defense.
Keeping all those guys is all our assets. Trading just picks won't get us defensemen.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
8 assists in 15 games is pretty impressive... Maybe that's just me.

edit: Impressive is the wrong word, "not bad" would be better.

well over a year he's a 40 point guy he's on average a 40 point guy but i know when he was in Winnipeg he has to be given prime time minutes.

I think fans would be disappointed if he's on a third line because he's non existent, and a first line that production is a disappointment.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Nope no ones the odd man out

Yea its to often an expression guys are only odd man out if they make to much and underperform, or perform well but can be replaced immediately with someone who can take there place, but that usually coincides with them being unadaptable to other situations...i.e one dimensional

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You thought Jones should have gone over MacKinnon? Yikes, I can't take that seriously.

Leading up to the draft that was the consensus.

If he does become the #1 most agree he is likely to become, yeah, he should have gone #1 overall.

McKinnion is good, but personally I dont think he is as good as say Hall. Or a bonified #1 dman.

Barkov and Drouin were stretches over Jones for sure.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Leading up to the draft that was the consensus.

If he does become the #1 most agree he is likely to become, yeah, he should have gone #1 overall.

McKinnion is good, but personally I dont think he is as good as say Hall. Or a bonified #1 dman.

Barkov and Drouin were stretches over Jones for sure.

MacKinnon was #1 untill the WJ and then Jones took over and then at the memorial cup MacKinnon took back over.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Move Fayne for Hartnell, then package Klefbom, Slepyshev and a 1st for Jones.

NSH gets a young, cost-controlled D-man they can work with, a cheap offensive prospect with an upside, and a high 1st round pick they can use to select a forward.

Sekera - Jones
Reinhart - Schultz
Nurse - Gryba
Davidson

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Eberle has shown the ability to play with anyone really and still look good offensively and average defensively. Yak has a lot of highs and a lot if lows.

I still think Montreal, Washington or Detroit could work for him.

Definitely trade him out of conference for sure. As much as I would love Yakupov tearing the Oilers apart

Gambl0r83*

without reading anything Yak will be the odd man out unless he starts clicking with Nuge or Leon

Yak still has the highest value he's ever had. The time is now because his stock will definitely plummet without McDangles. Yak for a top 4 certified Defenceman before it's too late

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Jones definitely has a higher upside for sure, don't disagree there. Jones just hasn't been great as he usually is this year and has been pushed down the lineup. Also he has been on an incredible defensive team so he will look better defensively then he is.

I'm all for moving guys for Jones, just don't think moving Klefbom for another defender is that great of an idea right now, especially with his contract.

You're obviously correct, I don't think any serious actor would move Klefbom for potential right now. Seth Jones will probably be great, but as you point out he is playing behind Weber and Josi, I wouldn't risk any potential for him before seeing how he cuts it against top opposition. The only way Klefbom is moved would be for proven and experienced players.

Then again, you have to realize that Aerchon probably considers Klefbom's value to be waaay lower than you do. For example, I would have done that trade last season if Klefbom would be replaced by Marincin. I guess that is the value of Klefbom according to Aerchon, but he can correct me if I am wrong.

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
I think three scoring lines could be an option.

XXX-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Draisaitl-XXX

Pouliot could switch between the first and second line depending on which works better. I guess it depends exactly who would fill in the last two spots... if it's going to be Purcell or a fourth liner like Klinkhammer then it's probably not worth it.

Hendricks/RNH/Eberle
Pouliot/McDavid/Yak
Hall/Draisaitl/Korp
Lander/Letestu/Purcell
Klink

Run the top three lines heavy. The fourth line plays very little as a unit, but you use guys up the lineup where needed. Letestu for big faceoffs, Purcell/Lander sub for Hendricks (who at his pace shouldn't be playing 17 minutes/night), PK, etc.

Man on paper that's a dangerous lineup... Make no mistake though, this team is going nowhere without a true too pairing D man.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

This is wrong. In some games this season Jones has been our best defenseman. His defensive zone play has been leaps above what it's ever been and he's transitioning the puck much better. He's 3rd on TOI/g, ESTOI/g and PKTOI/g (just a few seconds from 2nd).

Offensively he hasn't scored but he's had some great rushes and does have 7 points in 14 games.

Yes, he is a number 3, but on the Predators so are about 95% of all other NHL defensemen.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Is Yakupov a bust as #1? Probably. Take one look at the 2012 draft and there are now at least 4 players that have jumped him. Any of: Galchenyuk, Reily, Lindholm and possibly Murray look to be better players. But that said, I want to see what he does over a full year with a new coach before they look into trades. The season's probably over, and from here forward, all these guys are playing for are their jobs, so it should give us a good idea if he has any value at all. Right now he's playing for his future NHL career. If he doesn't start putting up numbers soon, I don't think he's ever going to be a top money-earner in the league, and most likely will be a tier below the Hall's and the Eberle's of the world (still decent, but not in that top six bracket). I hope he gets it together though, at 22 there's no reason for him to fade into obscurity. I point to Hemsky as a comparable. His first two years in the NHL, he was a 30 point kind of guy and then went on to be the kind of guy that could get you between 50-70 points a year.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Is Yakupov a bust as #1? Probably. Take one look at the 2012 draft and there are now at least 4 players that have jumped him. Any of: Galchenyuk, Reily, Lindholm and possibly Murray look to be better players. But that said, I want to see what he does over a full year with a new coach before they look into trades. The season's probably over, and from here forward, all these guys are playing for are their jobs, so it should give us a good idea if he has any value at all. Right now he's playing for his future NHL career. If he doesn't start putting up numbers soon, I don't think he's ever going to be a top money-earner in the league, and most likely will be a tier below the Hall's and the Eberle's of the world (still decent, but not in that top six bracket). I hope he gets it together though, at 22 there's no reason for him to fade into obscurity. I point to Hemsky as a comparable. His first two years in the NHL, he was a 30 point kind of guy and then went on to be the kind of guy that could get you between 50-70 points a year.

That was an incredibly weak draft year and to say that anyone of those four players have themselves been 'spectacular' is just not true. For instance, Galchenyuk has been playing on one of the best teams in the NHL yet is just slightly ahead of Yakupov in points (though I would take Gal over Yak, it is a slight upgrade ... not like going from bust to first as you suggest). Murray ... right now he is playing well in Columbus ... but this kid is injury prone and still a big risk. He has yet to play 100 games. Reily is the cream of the crop of those four you mentioned, but i doubt would even go top 4 in any of the past 5 drafts save for 2012.

Yak is a 20 to 25 goal - 40 to 50 point man. Not a great 1st overall selection, but he isn't a complete bust.

BelowTheIce

Aug 27, 2015
I didn't read the whole article. I stopped when the corsi's were announced for Nuge and Hall with Drai. Why? Because Nuge and Hall were previously playing without Ebs, but with Sleppy, Percy, Hendy and some other smatterings of players here and there.

But we do know what Ebs can do from previous viewings by most of us.

And people are still unsure if Yaks was a 1 off good player with McDavid. That's still hard to pin point because the rest of the time Yaks has been saddled with the poor play of Lander. But we don't know if it's Lander or Purcell, who seems to drag everyone down.

All I know is that there has to be some changes in certain positions. I'm really trying to post this without pointing fingers at any individual player, but it's really difficult to do.

I won't even mention the hemmed in D, as that is a whole new thread on its own. And it hasn't even been 20 games yet. I'm both patient and frustrated, maybe I'll just cheer for the Flames to lose and be happy.

Well then obviously you know everything else I said and understand the context. But the point was Drai makes that line very good. I probably should of went and found numbers from when the two played with Ebs, thats my bad.

But you gotta give some to get some, so Ebs should be the odd man out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad