The Odd Oiler Out

McDeathbyCheerios*

He's been back two games. I wonder if in another 5-6 if he, or someone else will look like the odd man out. I suspect Eberle along side McDavid, may be the 1st line this team needs.
I fully expect our top 2 lines to be
Hall - RNH - Draisaitl
Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle

Yak was great with McDavid true, but Eberle is an easy guy to play with and is a very good goal scorer, I see Yak, Schultz and Fayne being moved around the deadline.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think Yakupov will be the odd one out.

Much as I want to believe there's a player there. He's been unproductive since McDavid has been out.

Hall-RNH-Draisitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle

That would drop yak to the bottom 6. Never to score again.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think Yakupov will be the odd one out.

Much as I want to believe there's a player there. He's been unproductive since McDavid has been out.

Hall-RNH-Draisitl
Pouliot-McDavid-Eberle

That would drop yak to the bottom 6. Never to score again.

The league isn't stupid though, they're not going to give up anything for Yak if his production falls off a cliff now that McDavid is out.

McDeathbyCheerios*

without reading anything Yak will be the odd man out unless he starts clicking with Nuge or Leon
Eberle has shown the ability to play with anyone really and still look good offensively and average defensively. Yak has a lot of highs and a lot if lows.

I still think Montreal, Washington or Detroit could work for him.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
I think three scoring lines could be an option.

XXX-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Draisaitl-XXX

Pouliot could switch between the first and second line depending on which works better. I guess it depends exactly who would fill in the last two spots... if it's going to be Purcell or a fourth liner like Klinkhammer then it's probably not worth it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Eberle has shown the ability to play with anyone really and still look good offensively and average defensively. Yak has a lot of highs and a lot if lows.

I still think Montreal, Washington or Detroit could work for him.

Thats really the crux of the issue with Yak...he is simply not a versatile player. He needs specific players to play with otherwise he struggles. Very high maintenance.
Eberle on the other hand helps create offense regardless of what players he plays with.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think three scoring lines could be an option.

XXX-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-McDavid-Yak
Hall-Draisaitl-XXX

Pouliot could switch between the first and second line depending on which works better. I guess it depends exactly who would fill in the last two spots... if it's going to be Purcell or a fourth liner like Klinkhammer then it's probably not worth it.
We don't have the players to fill those empty spots and to get them it means trades and that would damage the d core more as that's where we would have to trade from.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yak has improved by leaps and bounds between the end of last year and the beginning of this in his overall game.

But he is still a one dimensional, low hockey IQ, complementary scorer.

He can not drive a line by himself. He just doesn't think the game well enough to break down opposing NHL teams systems/goaltending. He doesn't have elite skating, passing, IQ, vision, and even his shot is not even close to elite. The early comparisons for his shooting to guys like Stamkos and Ovie is looking just ridiculous right now. You can't even put Yaks name in the same breath as those guys.

To the surprise of no one really Yak has struggled since McDavid left.

Even with McDavid this "elite" shooter only has two goals on the year.

The simple truth, barring a miraculous turn around, is that as first overalls go Yak is a bust.

He can still be a very valuable part of this team if he continues to improve as he has but really he is progressing so terribly for someone of his draft standing.

On this team he will always be the odd man out because of our glut of small one dimensional forwards.

For his career, he would be much better served by being traded to an offensively starved team like the Devils.

If we do trade him however he will not get us anything of real value unless part of a package.

Klefbom, Yak, and our first round protected pick this year for Jones. Just dreaming of course but that would be an awesome trade for us.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Sure we do.

Korpi - Nuge - Ebs
Poo - McDavid - Yak
Hall - Drai - Purcell
Hendricks - Letestu - Lander
Puck dies on Purcell stick every time and would kill the lines chemistry and Korpi MIGHT work on that line but probably not, we need a more skilled Hendricks up there.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yak has improved by leaps and bounds between the end of last year and the beginning of this in his overall game.

But he is still a one dimensional, low hockey IQ, complementary scorer.

He can not drive a line by himself. He just doesn't think the game well enough to break down opposing NHL teams systems/goaltending. He doesn't have elite skating, passing, IQ, vision, and even his shot is not even close to elite. The early comparisons for his shooting to guys like Stamkos and Ovie is looking just ridiculous right now. You can't even put Yaks name in the same breath as those guys.

To the surprise of no one really Yak has struggled since McDavid left.

Even with McDavid this "elite" shooter only has two goals on the year.

The simple truth, barring a miraculous turn around, is that as first overalls go Yak is a bust.

He can still be a very valuable part of this team if he continues to improve as he has but really he is progressing so terribly for someone of his draft standing.

On this team he will always be the odd man out because of our glut of small one dimensional forwards.

For his career, he would be much better served by being traded to an offensively starved team like the Devils.

If we do trade him however he will not get us anything of real value unless part of a package.

Klefbom, Yak, and our first round protected pick this year for Jones. Just dreaming of course but that would be an awesome trade for us.
That's a bad trade for us as Jones is what, a third pairing guy on Nashville right now?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That's a bad trade for us as Jones is what, a third pairing guy on Nashville right now?

Most people I've heard talk about Jones say he "should" easily end up being a true #1 guy.

I have not followed Nashville this year so can't say how good he has been or not but by all accounts giving up a mid pairing guy, a second line one dimensional scorer, and a protected first round selection for a "can't miss #1 d-man" is an absolute steal.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Most people I've heard talk about Jones say he "should" easily end up being a true #1 guy.

I have not followed Nashville this year so can't say how good he has been or not but by all accounts giving up a mid pairing guy, a second line one dimensional scorer, and a protected first round selection for a "can't miss #1 d-man" is an absolute steal.
He isn't a can't miss guy. He is a good player but still isn't proven. Klefbom has been as good as Jones this year from what I have seen so that is a massive overpay.

Jones coming here would suffer from Hamilton syndrome, looked much better then they are.

Jones right now is a middle pairing guy. Trading a middle pairing guy+ for him makes the team worse right now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
So this article is based on skill falling to the 3rd line and thus being the odd man out.
Oh such horror. A 3rd liner with elite skill.

Have we not learned anything since McDavid went down? We lack scoring depth from bottom 6. If Draisaitl has to center the 3rd line so be it !

Trading Yak for a dime and a nickel isnt an answer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Puck dies on Purcell stick every time and would kill the lines chemistry and Korpi MIGHT work on that line but probably not, we need a more skilled Hendricks up there.

Purcell isn't ideal there, but you're always going to have guys you want to upgrade. Plus, his contract is up this summer, so we can look at a guy like say Trevor Lewis to replace him. I think Korpi would work well on that line

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He isn't a can't miss guy. He is a good player but still isn't proven. Klefbom has been as good as Jones this year from what I have seen so that is a massive overpay.

Jones coming here would suffer from Hamilton syndrome, looked much better then they are.

Jones right now is a middle pairing guy. Trading a middle pairing guy+ for him makes the team worse right now.

First and foremost I want to say I rarely disagree with you from what ive seen of your posts.

But this has me scratching my head.

Klefbom started out doing OK but has struggled in his own zone over the last ten games. The Klefbom love is pretty low right now and rightly so. He has potential but not Jones potential.

I have not watched a Nashville game this year but I typically watch at least 5-6 a year. Been a follower of Nashville fan for a long time.

From previous years Jones looks head and shoulders better than Klefbom has overall. Its not close. So unless you actually have watched a few Nashville games and can tell me he has taken a significant step back. I don't see how you can compare the two. Go to the main boards and put Klefbom = Jones and see how well that goes down.

Jones Imo should have gone first overall his year. Most put Jones as superior to Ekblad in thier respective draft years.

Those kind of guys are just at a different level then Klefbom.

Klefboms contract is the only thing that "could" make him a better choice but a lot has to happen for that to take place.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
The league isn't stupid though, they're not going to give up anything for Yak if his production falls off a cliff now that McDavid is out.

:handclap: That's why I said in another thread the odd guys out are RNH or Eberle. Oiler fans have to look at it as if you want value around the league every G.M. who is smart knows who is valuable and who you are trying to push off on them. I can see Eberle gone, and then eventually RNH.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
We don't have the players to fill those empty spots and to get them it means trades and that would damage the d core more as that's where we would have to trade from.

This season they don't, but once they get rid of some dead weight they can go out and sign cheap veteran UFAs next summer to fill those roles.

McDeathbyCheerios*

First and foremost I want to say I rarely disagree with you from what ive seen of your posts.

But this has me scratching my head.

Klefbom started out doing OK but has struggled in his own zone over the last ten games. The Klefbom love is pretty low right now and rightly so. He has potential but not Jones potential.

I have not watched a Nashville game this year but I typically watch at least 5-6 a year. Been a follower of Nashville fan for a long time.

From previous years Jones looks head and shoulders better than Klefbom has overall. Its not close. So unless you actually have watched a few Nashville games and can tell me he has taken a significant step back. I don't see how you can compare the two. Go to the main boards and put Klefbom = Jones and see how well that goes down.

Jones Imo should have gone first overall his year. Most put Jones as superior to Ekblad in thier respective draft years.

Those kind of guys are just at a different level then Klefbom.

Klefboms contract is the only thing that "could" make him a better choice but a lot has to happen for that to take place.
Jones definitely has a higher upside for sure, don't disagree there. Jones just hasn't been great as he usually is this year and has been pushed down the lineup. Also he has been on an incredible defensive team so he will look better defensively then he is.

I'm all for moving guys for Jones, just don't think moving Klefbom for another defender is that great of an idea right now, especially with his contract.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This season they don't, but once they get rid of some dead weight they can go out and sign cheap veteran UFAs next summer to fill those roles.
It gives us nothing of value to acquire defense though, that's our biggest issue.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It gives us nothing of value to acquire defense though, that's our biggest issue.

Picking up cheap vets means cap room, which is the greatest asset a team could have. It also means the team doesn't use assets to fill those roles and can use them on defense.

Basically, cap space + extra assets = defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00