The Odd Oiler Out

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
You're obviously correct, I don't think any serious actor would move Klefbom for potential right now. Seth Jones will probably be great, but as you point out he is playing behind Weber and Josi, I wouldn't risk any potential for him before seeing how he cuts it against top opposition. The only way Klefbom is moved would be for proven and experienced players.

Then again, you have to realize that Aerchon probably considers Klefbom's value to be waaay lower than you do. For example, I would have done that trade last season if Klefbom would be replaced by Marincin. I guess that is the value of Klefbom according to Aerchon, but he can correct me if I am wrong.

I dont think you find a soul outside of Edmonton who doesnt think Jones isnt head and shoulders better than Klefbom right now.

Double the games played in the NHL double the points triple the goals...

More experienced, better now, younger, and with much higher potential. This board can go over board on the homerism.

Unless he is struggling right now, which I have not heard outside of McDeath. Not saying it isn't true, just never heard it before.

Has much more to do with how good Jones is compared to how I value Klefbom.

Playing behind two of the NHLs best is not a good counter argument. Weber and Josi are ammazing. Did anyone see Josi's last goal. The day Klefbom does something that ammazing ill certainly put him up a notch or two.

The only thing Klefbom has going for him over Jones is his contract.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I dont think you find a soul outside of Edmonton who doesnt think Jones isnt head and shoulders better than Klefbom right now.

More experienced, better now, younger, and with much higher potential. This board can go over board on the homerism.

Unless he is struggling right now, which I have not heard outside of McDeath. Not saying it isn't true, just never heard it before.

Playing behind two of the NHLs best is not a good counter argument. Weber and Josi are ammazing. Did anyone see Josi's last goal. The day Klefbom does something that ammazing ill certainly put him up a notch or two.

Last one for the record, Jones plays over 20 minutes a night, even with the depth of Nashville defense.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Last one for the record, Jones plays over 20 minutes a night, even with the depth of Nashville defense.

Just for the record. Did you watch the game? Did he play better or worse than Klefbom? Honest questions.

Klefbom plays 21 minutes a night on average with very little depth. I am afraid if you are basing your argument on ice time its pretty thin.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Just for the record. Did you watch the game? Did he play better or worse than Klefbom? Honest questions.

Klefbom plays 21 minutes a night on average with very little depth. I am afraid if you are basing your argument on ice time its pretty thin.

I thought Kelfbom was terrible against Chicago. Wasn't he on the ice for 3 of the goals??

Anyway, it is tough to compare given the difference in team makeup. Look at our goalies, they all look great elsewhere, then SURPRISE ... they look terrible behind the Edmonton defence.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I thought Kelfbom was terrible against Chicago. Wasn't he on the ice for 3 of the goals??

Anyway, it is tough to compare given the difference in team makeup. Look at our goalies, they all look great elsewhere, then SURPRISE ... they look terrible behind the Edmonton defence.

Klefbom was terrible. I mentioned it in the PGT. Strange to me how he avoided criticism and Fayne got most of it.

Klefbom simply isnt ready to be a top 4 dman but its the Oiler way to force defencemen into roles they aren't ready for.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Marincin is one of the most overrated players on the Oilers message board. He's getting healthy scratched in Toronto, for crying out loud. What does that tell you about Marincin?

The leaf fans were very happy with him to start with.

I watched a couple games and he looked terrible. Slow and out of position. Two things that almost were never the case in his time on the Oilers... Or in the Olymics.

No idea whats going on with him now.

Hope he turns it around but since he isn't an Oiler I won't follow it or really care.

Klefbom has not been good his last ten games. Probably not coincidence thats similar timeline to when Schultz got injured.

Whether its missing chemistry or Shultz carried him more than we thought, its clear Klefbom has not played well this year. Not omfg terrible but not good either.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
The leaf fans were very happy with him to start with.

I watched a couple games and he looked terrible. Slow and out of position. Two things that almost were never the case in his time on the Oilers... Or in the Olymics.

No idea whats going on with him now.

Hope he turns it around but since he isn't an Oiler I won't follow it or really care.

Klefbom has not been good his last ten games. Probably not coincidence thats similar timeline to when Schultz got injured.

Whether its missing chemistry or Shultz carried him more than we thought, its clear Klefbom has not played well this year. Not omfg terrible but not good either.
Something that keeps getting missed with Klefbom is he got injured in pre-season and missed a chunk of training camp as a result. Missing training camp hurts players more than people realize.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Yes it is.

I never said that Klefbom is better than Jones or that he has more potential.

Still, I think it is generally unadvisable to trade potential for potential in this case. That is the point. You give me a Klefbom for proven D man and I will consider it, if you want to trade our 22 year old for a 21 year old, albeit with higher potential, I am not in.

By the way, to be clear for you and the NSH poster: you said Klefbom + Yakupov + protected 1st pick = dream scenario. We are not talking about Klefbom for Jones. I think that your trade is really bad for EDM, but I can understand it if you assume that the value of Klefbom is equal to the value of Marincin (as a relevant example to us).

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com

I was adding to your quote, not arguing with your point, sorry. Although Jones isn't playing top minutes because of depth he's still playing a very respectable 20+ minutes a night. The fact that he's helping to reduce the total number of minutes Weber and Josi play show how well he's progressing.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I was adding to your quote, not arguing with your point, sorry. Although Jones isn't playing top minutes because of depth he's still playing a very respectable 20+ minutes a night. The fact that he's helping to reduce the total number of minutes Weber and Josi play show how well he's progressing.
No need to apologize. That was clear for most readers.
Anyway, as a Preds fan, how do you like the Klefbom, Slepyshev and a 1st for Jones offer?
Would you take Yakupov? Cause I think its pretty clear he is going to be the "odd Oiler out".

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
No need to apologize. That was clear for most readers.
Anyway, as a Preds fan, how do you like the Klefbom, Slepyshev and a 1st for Jones offer?
Would you take Yakupov? Cause I think its pretty clear he is going to be the "odd Oiler out".

We really need a top line center, without getting that, I'd rather keep Jones. I'd prefer to do both

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Ah I see thanks, sorry for the misunderstandings.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
Something has to give with the jets, blues, and preds. Personally tho, faulk in Carolina is who I would pursue. I think he's the only dman out there where a center isn't the deal breaker

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Something has to give with the jets, blues, and preds. Personally tho, faulk in Carolina is who I would pursue. I think he's the only dman out there where a center isn't the deal breaker

But like OEL, he is vital to their defence treading water. No way I see Carolina giving him up.

Also to add to the Jones is being undervalued here, I would add that hes played top pair in Nashville last season due to injuries and looked great doing it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
But like OEL, he is vital to their defence treading water. No way I see Carolina giving him up.

Also to add to the Jones is being undervalued here, I would add that hes played top pair in Nashville last season due to injuries and looked great doing it.

Toughest division in hockey as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

While I like both, wing isn't a high need right now. Also, Yak is better than he has shown, don't give up on him yet.
We have been saying that about Yak for years.

Moving him isn't giving up, its moving an excess for a need.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I am not sure that he is really. Seems to me that people are misinterpreting some of what has been written. The discussion about Jones came from a Klefbom+Yakupov+protected 1st in 2016 for Jones which was described as a dream scenario.

That's a 1st round D who is starting to find his way (to be conservative we can say that he is playing at least as good as can be expected for a 22 year old 19th overall pick) , a 1st overall leading his draft class in scoring but is not living up to the conventional 1st overall pick performance, and, right now, a top 5 pick in 2016.

If that is undervaluing Jones then I live in upside-down land.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I know one thing, u can take Draisaitl off this list. He isn't going anywhere.

And, it's ok to give up on Yak. Without McD feeding him easy tap-ins, he is useless.

Yak will finish his career in the K.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad