Online Series: The OA

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Anyone watching The OA on Netflix? It's about a young woman who is blind that goes missing for seven years and then resurfaces with her sight restored and some kind of "mystical" agenda Caught the first couple of eps. Pretty intriguing, although a bit inconsistent in execution.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Two episodes in and find in very intriguing. Reading up on it, many critics are saying it's the best original content from Netflix since Stranger Things.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Two episodes in and find in very intriguing. Reading up on it, many critics are saying it's the best original content from Netflix since Stranger Things.

You have to really suspend disbelief with a lot of what goes on with this show, but the premise is entertaining. It kind of reminds me me of The Usual Suspects in a way.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
It's written/created by Brit Marling, who is quite brilliant and has done some very compelling and unique sci-fi projects (Another Earth, I origins).

I'm about 5 episodes in...the show does absolutely grab you. It has some superficial resemblance to Stranger Things and even shows like Twin Peaks or certain Black Mirror episodes, but overall it's nothing like I've ever seen before. Very cool.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've watched the first 6 episodes.

I'd say overall pretty good so far. Has had ups and downs in quality episode by episode and within each episode.

It seems like it is going to depend on the payoff at the end of the season to determine if the show is something special or just "meh" for me

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It's written/created by Brit Marling, who is quite brilliant and has done some very compelling and unique sci-fi projects (Another Earth, I origins).

I'm about 5 episodes in...the show does absolutely grab you. It has some superficial resemblance to Stranger Things and even shows like Twin Peaks or certain Black Mirror episodes, but overall it's nothing like I've ever seen before. Very cool.

She is also starring in it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I watched the first episode last night. Was interesting enough to keep watching, particularly towards the end of the episode

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
So I finished season one. At first I thought wtf is this, but after reading some of the theories on Reddit and thinking back at what transpired, I have to watch it a second time.

Keep in mind that the story she tells, is her story. But we are viewing it through the imagination of the people that are listening to it. Which she explained before she ever starts.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I finished up all 8 episodes and I'll say this about the show:

The story definitely progresses nicely to create a compelling television show. Whether or not the ultimate payoff is there in the end can be a strong debate and depend on who you are, I'm not totally sure how I feel myself, but I would say this is worth watching and enjoyable

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So I finished season one. At first I thought wtf is this, but after reading some of the theories on Reddit and thinking back at what transpired, I have to watch it a second time.

Keep in mind that the story she tells, is her story. But we are viewing it through the imagination of the people that are listening to it. Which she explained before she ever starts.

[spoil] if I had to guess there is nothing super natural going on with her. The only thing really is her regaining her eye sight which could be attributed to getting hit on the head. [/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just finished. I'm not sure what to think yet, but all I know for me personally...

[spoil]I have a very hard time watching school shootings[/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
After sleeping on it:

[spoil]I don't think she made it up at all. Before we have any inclination of the books under her bed, she searches for Homer on the internet.

Also, at the end, you here the 'whoosh' noise that Hap was talking about when OA is in the ambulance.
[/spoil]

Anyway, I loved the originality of it all.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Flash mob distracts the shooter...lol

Such a bizarre conclusion. Interesting premise through three episodes....but then went off a cliff with execution.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
After sleeping on it:

[spoil]I don't think she made it up at all. Before we have any inclination of the books under her bed, she searches for Homer on the internet.

Also, at the end, you here the 'whoosh' noise that Hap was talking about when OA is in the ambulance.
[/spoil]

Anyway, I loved the originality of it all.

[Spoil]I would say she looked up videos on YouTube and happened to find the character Homer to use. Also why was her therapist in her house? Did he stash those books, and the violin case that everyone missed?[/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
[Spoil]I would say she looked up videos on YouTube and happened to find the character Homer to use. Also why was her therapist in her house? Did he stash those books, and the violin case that everyone missed?[/spoil]

Yeah, that's a good point... I've been seeing on Reddit that:

[spoil]People believe that she is an unreliable narrator, so everything that we see from OA's POV can't be trusted. And you have to wonder, when the kids were looking up the other trapped people, that they would look for Homer, but they never do.[/spoil]

Also, just had a random thought that I don't really have any basis of factual evidence on, but I wonder if:

[spoil]OA's story is true, but she wasn't trapped there with four other people, she was trapped there alone, and in a fragile psychological state, made up her fellow cellmates when in reality, it was all her and only her...[/spoil]

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Yeah, that's a good point... I've been seeing on Reddit that:

[spoil]People believe that she is an unreliable narrator, so everything that we see from OA's POV can't be trusted. And you have to wonder, when the kids were looking up the other trapped people, that they would look for Homer, but they never do.[/spoil]

Also, just had a random thought that I don't really have any basis of factual evidence on, but I wonder if:

[spoil]OA's story is true, but she wasn't trapped there with four other people, she was trapped there alone, and in a fragile psychological state, made up her fellow cellmates when in reality, it was all her and only her...[/spoil]

[Spoil]We don't see anything from her POV, it's the people listening to her story who are imagining it. Did you notice the audience for her tale parallel the characters in it?

And she never mentioned it but somehow someone is imagining those plants growing.[/spoil]

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
[Spoil]We don't see anything from her POV, it's the people listening to her story who are imagining it. Did you notice the audience for her tale parallel the characters in it?

And she never mentioned it but somehow someone is imagining those plants growing.[/spoil]

We do see her searching for Homer on her computer in her POV.

I don't really see the connection between the five hearing the tale and the five in the tale, to be honest....

[spoil]Homer could possibly = French. But there are no junkies to match Scott. There are no artists to match Rachel (maybe Buck?) Who's BBA or Jesse or Steve?[/spoil]

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
We do see her searching for Homer on her computer in her POV.

I don't really see the connection between the five hearing the tale and the five in the tale, to be honest....

[spoil]Homer could possibly = French. But there are no junkies to match Scott. There are no artists to match Rachel (maybe Buck?) Who's BBA or Jesse or Steve?[/spoil]

I have to think about it but off the top of my head the kid who takes care of his mom is the junkie(French). And Homer is a jock, who are known to be bullies like Steve.

Edit: her searching for Homer is present time.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I have to think about it but off the top of my head the kid who takes care of his mom is the junkie(French). And Homer is a jock, who are known to be bullies like Steve.

Edit: her searching for Homer is present time.

Right. Present time, before the story-telling begins. Before the five hearing the tale begin questioning her and looking for answers. It shows them trying to find Hap or Scott online, but we never see them searching for Homer.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Right. Present time, before the story-telling begins. Before the five hearing the tale begin questioning her and looking for answers. It shows them trying to find Hap or Scott online, but we never see them searching for Homer.

Yeah but that just goes to show she was looking for ideas for her story. Also when she vanished it was from a station where she was playing her violin. But later we see the case in her closet. From Reddit I saw that one of those books was published during the time of her disappearance so she could not have owned them before. They were also in an Amazon shipping box. A relatively new thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad