News Article: The Numbers are In! Buff/Ladd/Trouba 152 Mill?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
So do Chipman and Heizinger who are the more likely culprits. A little heat being applied and what is our owner's recent track record for blowing his cool. Someone ask the mayor. I have always speculated that Zinger was the one feeding Lawless. There seemed to be similarities between what Zinger said in interviews and what Useless wrote in the Freep. Plus who the hell puts an equipment guy in a job like NHL Team Dir. of Hockey Operations?
Someone who wants a yes man inside pushing buttons that's who.

Could very well be. In any case, nothing about the term "league sources" disqualifies someone from within the Jets org as being the leak.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why doesn't some other media person who interviews Campbell ask him directly if his sources were with the Winnipeg Jets' organization? It's kind of a big deal, and it should be cleared up publicly. Campbell should clarify.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Why doesn't some other media person who interviews Campbell ask him directly if his sources were with the Winnipeg Jets' organization? It's kind of a big deal, and it should be cleared up publicly. Campbell should clarify.

Not really a reporters job to reveal the identity of his sources or provide hints as to which party is providing info. If TNSE is confident that no one in their shop familiar with the negotiations provided Campbell with information, maybe they should clarify or make a public statement?

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not really a reporters job to reveal the identity of his sources or provide hints as to which party is providing info. If TNSE is confident that no one in their shop familiar with the negotiations provided Campbell with information, maybe they should clarify or make a public statement?

I disagree. Given the firestorm of speculation that has emerged and the significant ramifications for relationships if the Jets actually leaked this, at the very least Campbell should clarify if the information didn't come from the Jets. A denial from the Jets won't necessarily be believed by the public and the players.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Best thing the Jets management can do about this story is stay silent. Anything they say in the media will be used in negotiations.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I disagree. Given the firestorm of speculation that has emerged and the significant ramifications for relationships if the Jets actually leaked this, at the very least Campbell should clarify if the information didn't come from the Jets. A denial from the Jets won't necessarily be believed by the public and the players.

And if the information did come from the Jets, should he tell everyone that it came from directly from them? Or should he only clarify if what he says is helpful to the Jets public image or negotiating position?

He's under no obligation to clear up anything. The identity of his sources are between him and his editor. Given their silence, it seems the Jets are perfectly fine with the perception that they might have leaked it.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Bill Waters stated on Rick Ralph's show that there is extreme "interferance" by Chipman in the running of hockey operations. He said it even goes so far as him hanging out in the dressing room and that it has to stop. Time to get the pitchforks out against this owner.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Bill Waters stated on Rick Ralph's show that there is extreme "interferance" by Chipman in the running of hockey operations. He said it even goes so far as him hanging out in the dressing room and that it has to stop. Time to get the pitchforks out against this owner.

What does this have to do with Buff, Ladd and Trouba?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The Jets are supposed to pay $7M for 8 years for Jacob Trouba who had one very good season last year, did not win the Calder Trophy, was NOT an all-star, was NOT even a candidate for the Calder Trophy. It is ludicrous for him and his agent to expect that much.

I wouldn't pay Buff that contract over 8 years as there is a good chance he will go into a decline and will have no motivation to maintain his off season training if he is locked up that long.

Andrew Ladd I would keep if his number drops a lot. His stats have been poor this year, he has taken far too many penalties, and in my opinion is very overrated.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Jets don't want to lose Trouba and Buff. That would be bad.
Ladd seemed OK last game although I missed the third period. He needs to be realistic though and accept less than 6 million.
Jets have a tight budget and that's OK too.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

The Jets are supposed to pay $7M for 8 years for Jacob Trouba who had one very good season last year, did not win the Calder Trophy, was NOT an all-star, was NOT even a candidate for the Calder Trophy. It is ludicrous for him and his agent to expect that much.

I wouldn't pay Buff that contract over 8 years as there is a good chance he will go into a decline and will have no motivation to maintain his off season training if he is locked up that long.

Andrew Ladd I would keep if his number drops a lot. His stats have been poor this year, he has taken far too many penalties, and in my opinion is very overrated.

The Campbell numbers and article seems to have had a very positive and likely desired effect for Chevy and TNSE:

- Make fans believe Buff and Ladd are completely unreasonable and that we have no choice but to ship out them out

- After that, we'll roll up our sleeves and get to work in trying to sign Jacob Trouba in what is going to be a brutally tough negotiation

ps - Don't tell anyone Trouba has zero leverage, and can either take what he's given or he can go for 5 years in Europe for 15-25% of the pay, while riding the bus instead of private jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just an fyi :

Tim Campbell has already said there was no leak from the team, and that TNSE wasn't happy about the leak because it "hurts the climate of business".

He stated this on Hockey Central @ Noon.

CT theories are fine, but I'll believe the guy who wrote the article.

Can listen to it here.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/hockey-central-at-noon/

Interesting.

Campbell said explicitly that the source was not the Jets, but the SN team seem to think it did.

My guess is that the numbers are a lot more speculative and indirect than a direct leak of specific negotiating positions. I think Campbell is being a bit coy about that, and since everyone is stroking him for the "scoop", he doesn't want to admit that it wasn't a direct scoop, but more indirect information on comparables and he put a bit of a narrative together.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

A lot of people aren't understanding that this is how negotiating works. Start high and find a middle ground. There's no way they are realistically expecting to get 7m/8 years. Just look when Giordano, Johansen, and Hamilton were signing their contracts. They asked for the moon and ended up settling much lower. It's just how this process works.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting.

Campbell said explicitly that the source was not the Jets, but the SN team seem to think it did.

My guess is that the numbers are a lot more speculative and indirect than a direct leak of specific negotiating positions. I think Campbell is being a bit coy about that, and since everyone is stroking him for the "scoop", he doesn't want to admit that it wasn't a direct scoop, but more indirect information on comparables and he put a bit of a narrative together.

Interesting he was clear that it wasn't the team that leaked the numbers. I don't know if it is in the players interest to have the numbers leaked. Looks to me if Tim did a little speculating based on what he thought were comparables. Though he should have used Hamilton instead of Doughty since it is a closer comparable.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Interesting he was clear that it wasn't the team that leaked the numbers. I don't know if it is in the players interest to have the numbers leaked. Looks to me if Tim did a little speculating based on what he thought were comparables. Though he should have used Hamilton instead of Doughty since it is a closer comparable.

That, or the person leaking it was involved in the organization but it wasn't Chevy.

Not sure how many people are involved in a contract negotiation outside of the agent/GM.

Winnipegfan1234

Dec 17, 2015
Ps - Don't tell anyone, but Trouba could sign a two year bridge deal at $3.5 million per, have a couple of good years with a legitimate partner, go to arbitration and get $6+ million per, based on a two year deal. Then bolt as a free agent at 25. All the while still riding in private jets.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting.

League and player sources have confirmed that Jets captain Andrew Ladd has asked for a six-year deal worth at least $41 million, that defenceman Dustin Byfuglien has requested $55 million over eight years and that defenceman Jacob Trouba wants more than $56 million over the maximum eight years allowed in the league’s CBA with its players.

This isn't speculation - this is being presented as fact. This isn't a Lawless opinion piece, it's straight reporting. Campbell says he's got sources and he must have reason to believe those sources. An editor wouldn't let this go to print - even in the sports section - if the reporter didn't stand by his sources, because if it's just made up and presented as the truth it damages the reputation and credibility of the reporter and the newspaper.

So who benefits from making players look greedy and out of touch with reality? The players? Their agents? No, it's only the Jets... And the Jets, coincidentally, are also the only party that would know what all three players are asking for.

Where did Campbell explicitly say the source is not the Jets?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This isn't speculation - this is being presented as fact. This isn't a Lawless opinion piece, it's straight reporting. Campbell says he's got sources and he must have reason to believe those sources. An editor wouldn't let this go to print - even in the sports section - if the reporter didn't stand by his sources, because if it's just made up and presented as the truth it damages the reputation and credibility of the reporter and the newspaper.

So who benefits from making players look greedy and out of touch with reality? The players? Their agents? No, it's only the Jets... And the Jets, coincidentally, are also the only party that would know what all three players are asking for.

Look up 6 posts.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

On a Sportsnet talk show he said explicitly that his sources were not the Jets.

As I recall, in the print article Campbell presented comparables and said that the initial asks were based on those comps (Seabrook for Buff, Kesler for Ladd and Doughty for Trouba). Did they really ask for exactly the same numbers, or was there some suggestion that those were the comps and Campbell extrapolated from there.

My guess is that someone said something like Ladd is looking for Kesler money, Buff is looking for Seabrook money and Trouba is looking for Doughty money. That could be a player, and agent or some scout somewhere. I don't think it means that the information came from the Jets or the players' agents.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
With regards to the "fallout" from the article

"And on the second part of your question, as far as a leak, that's maybe the one thing that's troubled me a little bit this week. And I notice Elliot flew the same thing up a flag pole yesterday, that the leak came from the team, when in fact it did not. We acquired the information and thought it was interesting and it was relevant. And I guess we underestimated how relevant it was.

It certainly wasn't leaked or given to me or shared with me in order to pin players down. I've actually had some reaction from people at the team that think it's bad for the climate of busines. So I think it goes both ways. But there are no hidden or secret agendas despite what some people think"

Just typed that down after listening to the clip from the link I provided.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

"And on the second part of your question, as far as a leak, that's maybe the one thing that's troubled me a little bit this week. And I notice Elliot flew the same thing up a flag pole yesterday, that the leak came from the team, when in fact it did not. We acquired the information and thought it was interesting and it was relevant. And I guess we underestimated how relevant it was.

It certainly wasn't leaked or given to me or shared with me in order to pin players down. I've actually had some reaction from people at the team that think it's bad for the climate of busines. So I think it goes both ways. But there are no hidden or secret agendas despite what some people think"

So, it didn't come from the Jets.

Highly unlikely that all three agents gave him this information, and Trouba's agent flat out said it was false.

So, how solid were Campbell's sources? Was this just some players or former players sharing some casual talk about who the players might be using as their comparables? That's what it sounds like to me.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Ah! I thought you were referring to the first Hockey Central show talking about this story. I listened to the Campbell part of the Wednesday show. Thanks for clarifying and transcribing the relevant statement.

So Campbell says it's not the Jets. Then it's either speculation reported as fact, or it's from a believable source that's not connected with TNSE.

If it's speculation, we might as well just close the thread, because then the numbers are nothing but guesses.

But if it's valid, then, like the SN guy said - it's coming from one side or the other...and the only two sides are the players and the management. TNSE could feed it to someone not officially connected to the Jets, and then they take it to Campbell...he can legitimately say "the leak didn't come from the team."

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
A lot of people aren't understanding that this is how negotiating works. Start high and find a middle ground. There's no way they are realistically expecting to get 7m/8 years. Just look when Giordano, Johansen, and Hamilton were signing their contracts. They asked for the moon and ended up settling much lower. It's just how this process works.

Obviously, but there's no good reason for Ladd or Byfuglien's asking price to come down much until they've tested UFA.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The 152 million is misleading ... seriously playing a good defenceman like Buff and Trouba 6 to 7 million a year is a good deal for both sides. Now Ladd is a different story ... if he wants top 10 salary he has to produce like a top 10 winger which at this time he is not.

Also anyone who think Buff is not worth 6.8 million needs to give their head a shake ... he hits the FA ... he will be the first D man signed this summer and for more than 7 million too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad