OT: The Nostalgic Ottawa Thread.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Why did we ever lose Rochester American stations for Detroit stations? I wanted to try Carvel Ice Cream so bad.

A Rogers employee told me that Ottawa used to get the Rochester stations picked up off antenna just east of Toronto somewhere and then transmitted over fibre to their headend in Ottawa. I don't think the Rochester stations were on satellite at that point. At some point it became more operationally cost effective to just use the same American stations from Detroit (or Buffalo). They were available on satellite and were the same ones used by Rogers in southern Ontario and Toronto.

Just a fun fact that was told and I believe is true.

I remember the ads for the Great House of Guitars.

They later (and more recently) tried the same thing with the PBS station out of Watertown but in that case there was a big uproar and politicians got involved and now we have both Watertown and Detroit. Watertown PBS was heavily dependent on donations from many people on this side of the border.

Reactions: Stylizer1

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Nothing to do with Ottawa...but anyone else member that awkward moment slow dancing to November Rain when it transitions into a blistering 2-minute slash solo? Good times.

Reactions: Flamingo

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Or the 10 minutes of Stairway to Heaven to finish off every single high school or community centre dance ever. It was the mad dash to get to the girl you liked, and then 10 minutes to build up the courage to make a bit of a fumbly teenaged move.

Reactions: Stylizer1

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Or the 10 minutes of Stairway to Heaven to finish off every single high school or community centre dance ever. It was the mad dash to get to the girl you liked, and then 10 minutes to build up the courage to make a bit of a fumbly teenaged move.

You had to make your move before the song sped up.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
One school dance, the DJ didnt show up so they just played music over the PA. Since the only music what was people nearby could run home to grab, we got both November Rain and Stairway like eight times each. Greatest dance ever :)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Copying the dance moves from every video on Much Music was epic. When the song would come on everybody would do the move at the right point in the song.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Copying the dance moves from every video on Much Music was epic. When the song would come on everybody would do the move at the right point in the song.

Video Hits on CBC! I would wait all day for that show to come on to see Thriller, or Say!Say!Say! (Jackson/McCartney), or , erm, Samantha Fox ...with some candles on and lights dim

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Video Hits on CBC! I would wait all day for that show to come on to see Thriller, or Say!Say!Say! (Jackson/McCartney), or , erm, Samantha Fox ...with some candles on and lights dim

And having the VCR ready with a fresh tape to catch the better videos.

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We used to record Rap City when it came on and play it over and over again... They would usually play the same four or five songs over the entire summer, man I look back fondly on Ottawa summers as a teenager, endless sun and zero responsibilities...

Great city to grow up in :)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We used to record Rap City when it came on and play it over and over again... They would usually play the same four or five songs over the entire summer, man I look back fondly on Ottawa summers as a teenager, endless sun and zero responsibilities...

Great city to grow up in :)
Rap city used to come on 1 hour a week on Thursday. they would replay it I think at 3:30 in the morning or something. Then it started playing Monday to Thursday but the idiots at Much Music would start it at 3:30 and could never get home in time from school. Either way I would never miss it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Rap city used to come on 1 hour a week on Thursday. they would replay it I think at 3:30 in the morning or something. Then it started playing Monday to Thursday but the idiots at Much Music would start it at 3:30 and could never get home in time from school. Either way I would never miss it.

1 hour a week, 5 songs, and lots of repeats, but we didn't care, especially summer time.

Fantastic Voyage over and over and over again!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
1 hour a week, 5 songs, and lots of repeats, but we didn't care, especially summer time.

Fantastic Voyage over and over and over again!
The original was an hour long wasn't it? It changed to five songs when the format changed to 4 days a week and half hours shows. I remember because the hour long version had better/longer interviews and Michael Williams was the host. When it changed to the half hour Oliver was the host and he sucked.

The hour long version was on Tuesdays and the half hour one was on Thursdays.

The original intro.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The original was an hour long wasn't it? It changed to five songs when the format changed to 4 days a week and half hours shows. I remember because the hour long version had better/longer interviews and Michael Williams was the host. When it changed to the half hour Oliver was the host and he sucked.

The hour long version was on Tuesdays and the half hour one was on Thursdays.

The original intro.

Holy smokes that takes me back! I didn't really watch TV back in the day unless I was at a friend's house, but yeah I remember that intro, not the first one though, hahaha, that one is priceless!

The videos were pretty chilling' and I always found that Rap City kind of set the tone for the summer time with their selections. Of course I was an Ice-T fan first and foremost (my first tape, had an older brother of course!) and he definitely wasn't getting any radio or video airtime at first.

To be honest we were sharing mix tapes and getting stuff from the radio, but there wasn't much going on in the mainstream, so being able to see some videos occasionally was nice.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
images

6ff78f91f63e.jpg

images

images

1973-03-03-Ticket.jpg

Ottawa.jpg
1978-11-30.jpg

Ad