The Norris has turned into a PR joke

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
78 points in 81 games plus 16 playing 25:19 minutes a game is a joke eh. The next highest defenseman had 53 points haha.

His first Norris season was the only one he had where he was at full skating capacity. His escapabilty and puck movement was only better the next season until the injury he has never been as good at that since. He was a different type of player back then but it doesnt mean he wasnt the best at his position.

Karlsson wasnt as strong defensively as he is now but to call it a joke well.... I dunno what to tell you. You are biased, the hockey world in general has been biased against EK for quite some time. But thats because people rarely watch the Sens as they are constantly discounted by the media due to being the middle child of the Habs and Leafs. Which is fine were used to it, thats why the sens consistently fly under the radar.
The Arizone Coyotes of Canada. And yes, if that piece of crap Cooke hadn't sliced his leg in half, he would've been considered the best player in the league at this point. Now his skating is only world class, before that it was unheard of. Maybe McDavid could've given him a shot, only he plays 20 minutes a night instead of 30.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'd say Burns being a Lindsay finalist over Karlsson says a lot.
I get the impression that Karlsson, as good as he is, just doesn't impact a game like players like Burns. The player voting confirms that. Karlsson is slick as all getout, but Burns bombs shots nonstop from the point all game long then runs you right over any chance he gets.

As a person who drafted Burns in a keeper league a decade ago I can assure you I really think he is a special player. I am suprised it took him as long as it did to be dominant. I really think he deserved the Norris as much as Karlsson did this year he had a phenomenal season. What people have issues with is how the metric changed from one season to the next for evaluating a Norris level d man.

Like I said im a big fan and I watch alot of Burns he does not control the pace of a game like Karlsson. I think you should watch some more sens games Karlsson does the most with the least of any D man. I thought it was funny how in the playoffs everyone was raving about him and honestly his skating wasnt even 75% which is his best attribute. He did gut it out and in my opinion elevated his level of play in other ways but he honestly can be better. It just proved to me that most people dont really watch him.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The Arizone Coyotes of Canada. And yes, if that piece of crap Cooke hadn't sliced his leg in half, he would've been considered the best player in the league at this point. Now his skating is only world class, before that it was unheard of. Maybe McDavid could've given him a shot, only he plays 20 minutes a night instead of 30.

Maybe if you just started watching hockey.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Doughty is so great, where is LA? They should be contenders every year, yet they are not.

If Karlsson is so great, why haven't the Sens won two Cups like LA has done with Doughty? They should be contenders every year, yet they are not. See how dumb that logic is?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Maybe if you just started watching hockey.
I'm sorry you didn't watch the Sens before Karlsson had his injury. You truly missed something.
If Karlsson is so great, why they haven't the Sens won two Cups like LA has done with Doughty? They should be contenders every year, yet they are not.
What are the big names in LA besides Doughty? Oh yeah, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, Gaborik, Carter and so on. Alot of well known names of quality players. Of where the big three always contended for the Smythe during the golden years (Doughty, Kopitar, Quick).

Who plays in Ottawa after Karlsson? Err.... errr... I've heard of Anderson because of that cancer story. I've heard of Methot since he's that partner Karlsson has had to learn the ropes to. *checks NHL salary cap pages* Oh, Ryan, Stone and Turris. I honestly didn't remember their names before I checked. Oh yeah, they had an overrated Phaneuf who found his way being a 2nd pairing defenseman some way back, I know him. I'm joking, because I follow Ottawa quite a bit, but do you get my point? Ottawa is nowhere near a big three and after Karlsson, their lineup is looking awfully thin. You think Doughty won those cups on just any team?

Even playing field? Well, if you say so! I wonder how many trophies Doughty would've won in Ottawa and vice versa if Karlsson and Doughty switched teams earlier? Would Ottawa get anywhere with Doughty, even reaching the playoffs? Don't think so. Would LA have won their trophies and then some with Karlsson instead of Doughty? I believe LA would've been an even better team with Karlsson, because which team wouldn't be? He could pretty much single handedly carry them to the playoffs every year and no, I'm not joking, he has carried some pretty trash Ottawa teams to the playoffs before, single handedly.

Last edited:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm sorry you didn't watch the Sens before Karlsson had his injury.

I'm sorry you missed some of the great skaters of our time.

And I did see Karlsson pre-injury. Terrific skater. I think he would deserve to be on a list of all-time great skaters. Would he have deserved to be in a category all his own? Hah! No. Don't let your clear bias get the better of you.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Karlsson will probably end his career with at least 5 of these, so let someone else have it once in a while.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

And I did see Karlsson pre-injury. Terrific skater. I think he would deserve to be on a list of all-time great skaters. Would he have deserved to be in a category all his own? Hah! No. Don't let your clear bias get the better of you.

Karlsson looked like pre knee injury Bure out there on defense. Insane acceleration, agility, and puck control at top gear.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Well ok, one of the best skaters in hockey history, is that a better description? I meant for this era and there he was in a league on his own until McDavid showed up and I'm not even sure McDavid would be able to beat him before his injury.

I mean, even after injury he makes skaters like Kane look a step behind.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm sorry you didn't watch the Sens before Karlsson had his injury. You truly missed something.

What are the big names in LA besides Doughty? Oh yeah, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, Gaborik, Carter and so on. Alot of well known names of quality players. Of where the big three always contended for the Smythe during the golden years (Doughty, Kopitar, Quick).

Who plays in Ottawa after Karlsson? Err.... errr... I've heard of Anderson because of that cancer story. I've heard of Methot since he's that partner Karlsson has had to learn the ropes to. *checks NHL salary cap pages* Oh, Ryan, Stone and Turris. I honestly didn't remember their names before I checked.

Even playing field? Well, if you say so! I wonder how many trophies Doughty would've won in Ottawa and vice versa if Karlsson and Doughty switched teams earlier? Not many? Didn't think so.

:laugh:

Ever stop to think why the whole hockey world apparently has it out for him? Could it be that objectively speaking he's not even close to the best defending defenseman? That he's phenomenal with the puck on his stick, but his primary responsibility is to stop the other team and he's just mediocre at it?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Ever stop to think why the whole hockey world apparently has it out for him? Could it be that objectively speaking he's not even close to the best defending defenseman? That he's phenomenal with the puck on his stick, but his primary responsibility is to stop the other team and he's just mediocre at it?
If the last time you watched him was in 2012, you better check him again. He's an excellent close gap defenseman and his pokecheck is very, very good. He creates alot of takeaways and his mobility and hockey IQ puts him in shooting lanes at short notice. If there's a loose puck, who do you think is first to the puck and who do you think is an expert at creating oddman rushes, or even breakaways? I've honestly never seen a D-man creating oddman rushes out of shot blocking as much as this guy, he has turned it into an artform.

Now is he good at hugging players at the crease by sheer strength? Not that much. That doesn't mean he can't hit though, because his skating and timing makes up alot for his size disadvantage.

Not that he has to defend alot, since he makes sure his team has the puck and not the opponents. I've heard it's called modern defense. So yeah, he's a pretty damn good defenseman at both ends of the ice, but if you want to pretend he's only an offensive defenseman, good for you.

Maybe you should ask Ottawa fans about how one dimensional he is at his game, or their coach? Maybe he's not the best defensive defenseman, but overall, considering 200 ft ice domination of the other team and winning games? Give me a break, he's the best there is and there's not much else to discuss right now. Calling him mediocre at the defensive part of the game is just pure ignorance and is an opinion outdated by about 5 years.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's only Swedes and Sens fans who make it seem like Karlsson is the only player in NHL history to be snubbed of a trophy. Where was the whining over the travesty of Karlsson winning the Norris when there were better performers than him in the seasons he won?

You guys didn't make a big stink of him winning the defenseman scoring race, but when another defenseman like Brent Burns accomplishes it, you guys cry incessantly, just like you did last season when Drew Doughty justifiably won over Karlsson, who played on a team that didn't even crack the playoffs and on a team that was one of the absolute worst squads defensively.

Karlsson was without a doubt the best defenseman in the playoffs until he couldn't carry the Sens anymore in the Conference Finals, but the Norris Trophy doesn't entail playoff performance. If it did, then Drew Doughty should've won it over Karlsson in 2012.

And given how good Karlsson is, he'll have plenty of opportunities to earn more Norris Trophies, just as Lidstrom did, and he was snubbed numerous times over his career as well. To quote Detective John Kimble: "STOP WHINING!"

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Who plays in Ottawa after Karlsson? Err.... errr... I've heard of Anderson because of that cancer story. I've heard of Methot since he's that partner Karlsson has had to learn the ropes to. *checks NHL salary cap pages* Oh, Ryan, Stone and Turris. I honestly didn't remember their names before I checked. Oh yeah, they had an overrated Phaneuf who found his way being a 2nd pairing defenseman some way back, I know him. I'm joking, because I follow Ottawa quite a bit, but do you get my point? Ottawa is nowhere near a big three and after Karlsson, their lineup is looking awfully thin. You think Doughty won those cups on just any team?

Even playing field? Well, if you say so! I wonder how many trophies Doughty would've won in Ottawa and vice versa if Karlsson and Doughty switched teams earlier? Would Ottawa get anywhere with Doughty, even reaching the playoffs? Don't think so. Would LA have won their trophies and then some with Karlsson instead of Doughty? I believe LA would've been an even better team with Karlsson, because which team wouldn't be? He could pretty much single handedly carry them to the playoffs every year and no, I'm not joking, he has carried some pretty trash Ottawa teams to the playoffs before, single handedly.

You are making the point for me and your hyperbole of Karlsson is nauseating. He was the best dman this year in the playoffs when I watched, but I thought Burns had a better year overall. Get over it already.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
2015 should have been Doughty. Even had more first place votes by double.

But, see, all those first place votes were from biased Canadians who don't watch Swedish players on Canadian teams.

Or they were incompetent.

But they're only incompetent the years Karlsson doesn't win the Norris. They know what they're doing when they do vote for him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I like all those who bring up Karlsson's playoff run this year ignore Burns' 25 points last year.

Guess it should have went to Burns last year!

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Maybe if you Karlsson fans didn't feel the need to make your case by completely disparaging the trophy winners, the reactions you get wouldn't be so vehement.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

This is just not the reality.

That said, Chimp, you know this thread is a little late? I mean...you're absolutely right, but this isn't anything new that the awards voted on by writers aren't objective.

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
78 points in 81 games plus 16 playing 25:19 minutes a game is a joke eh. The next highest defenseman had 53 points haha.

His first Norris season was the only one he had where he was at full skating capacity. His escapabilty and puck movement was only better the next season until the injury he has never been as good at that since. He was a different type of player back then but it doesnt mean he wasnt the best at his position.

Karlsson wasnt as strong defensively as he is now but to call it a joke well.... I dunno what to tell you. You are biased, the hockey world in general has been biased against EK for quite some time. But thats because people rarely watch the Sens as they are constantly discounted by the media due to being the middle child of the Habs and Leafs. Which is fine were used to it, thats why the sens consistently fly under the radar.

So your argument for that year was points even though he was a defensive trainwreck.

Well this year Burns and Hedman had more points and they're both better defensively than Karlsson.

The guy flying under the radar is Doughty. You want to talk about controlling the game, he does it way better the Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad