The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Schneider is so bad but i'm not ready to bury him or MacBlack until Hynes is gone.

I have no doubt our goalies will be much better in a new defensive system.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's more than enough sufficient evidence to suggest that Schneider is definitely a candidate for the current worst goalie in the NHL.

That's not really counting the tweeners guys or guys like Merzlikins (or whatever his name is) who just debuted and have hardly played.

All the goalies in the NHL that have been worse than Schneider since his decline started (Scott Darling, Cam Ward), tell me what teams they're playing for right now.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Corey is done , I don’t want to see he him with anything but a ball cap. Period
A suit would be better.

He really can't play here after this year.

He's much worse at his position than Mike Cammalleri was at his position when he was bought out.

Don't be fooled by a random .920% streak later this year again, he's cooked. It's a random streak.

The odds were always against a goalie that's been .907% (or something like that) over the last 120 games being good again.

Reactions: glenwo2

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I really don't want to see Schneider in goal again .. he is f***ing brutal. It's over .. he lost it a few years back and he's never getting it back.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shero needs to either fire Hynes tomorrow (that won't help Schneider get better, at least not for the long term) or see if he can get Casey DeSmith for a 5th round pick from Pittsburgh.

DeSmith might not help, but all we'll be out is a 5th round pick that will (probably) never turn into anything anyway. So make a move. Do something.

Reactions: mtnet

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Bobrovsky will be fine this year and maybe even the next few, but that contract could become an even bigger albatross than the current Cory contract, long before it's over.

The current Schneider contract looked like it would be a huge steal at best to at least decent at worst, and look what happened to him just in his second year of that deal.

Would have rather gone after Cam Talbot. Much cheaper because he had a down year last year, but is at least serviceable with pretty solid upside.
If we were going after anyone that was just a UFA, I would have went after Robin Lehner. He's better than Talbot at this point.

It's still early in the year and save percentages fluctuate a lot in the first month or so of the season, but Lehner looks to be following up last year in Chicago this year. And Chicago is a horrible team at this point and looks like trash.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's be honest, our goalies are bad but it almost doesn't even matter at this point with how bad the coaching and D (Vat aside) is. I'd rather not spend a lot of assets on a goalie until we get some other areas straightened out first.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Let's be honest, our goalies are bad but it almost doesn't even matter at this point with how bad the coaching and D (Vat aside) is. I'd rather not spend a lot of assets on a goalie until we get some other areas straightened out first.

It’s a vicious cycle of suck. One hangs the other out to dry. Then the other way around.

I want to see them play with a better coach with some more responsible D play before spending assets as well. If they actually start playing better (tonight wasn’t better) and the goaltending is still super leaky then sure.

Blackwood should get the longer leash here though. He actually has played solid games this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t see Cory going anywhere until Hughes is no longer living with him.

Hah you could be right about that...really his contract is more what precludes him from being moved at this point though. And I still have SOME hope for Blackwood though this on-again, off-again start to his career leaves me a bit nervous.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Saw this half kiddingly posted elsewhere so what the hell...problem for problem - Quick for Cory, who says no? Quick has the one extra year but also more of a past pedigree than Cory.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Saw this half kiddingly posted elsewhere so what the hell...problem for problem - Quick for Cory, who says no? Quick has the one extra year but also more of a past pedigree than Cory.
Quick had a worse season last year than Cory has ever had and he looks awful this year and seems to have a major iniury every other year, but he hasn’t been as bad for as long Cory has either.

He’s one of the few goalie contracts that might be worse than Cory, depending on what he does this year. Jones (due to term) and both Price and Bob (dollars and term) also have worse deals.

Any goalie other than those 4, I’d trade Cory for.

If possible, I’d love to see if we could dump him for a bad skater contract.

If Dorion calls us today and says “Bobby Ryan and one of Anderson/Nilsson for Schneider” (both Anderson and Nilsson aren’t good, but both are on expiring contests), I’d do it and so should Shero.

A bad skater isn’t gonna cost you as many games as a bad goalie.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I don’t want Quick’s extra year. He looks cooked as well.

The simplest solution is to just regulate Cory in the backup spot and buy him out if he proves he can’t even handle that.

It’s way too soon to toss Blackwood overboard.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Cory has become a loser and he simply can't shake that loser mentality. He's a great person but he's not a starter anymore and he needs to go. I've been on his side for awhile but I'm done with him. I've had enough

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Schneider is probably one of the most humble players to ever play for this franchise. I'm not ready to give up on him yet but its a shame to see how bad he has been the last few seasons. He's the opposite of how he was in goal when he played here his first few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad