The NHLPA is in a lose-lose-lose situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Wondercarrot said:
Your partially out to lunch.....are you suggesting that the NHL won't pay good playrs multi million dollar salaries???? but really...i do appreciate you suggesting that i don't understand the economics of what's going on....i suppose its only moderators that are able to wrap their brains around this...we mere posters are but the lemmings for ownership PR...give a break Captain Pompous.
I absolutely think they'll entice the best players back with good salaries. the low end players won't get multi million dollar contracts obviously, but they will lure good players back with salaries that fall in line with the Cap they are offering. It would be a mixed bag at first, but like i said, once they get a few good guys making a couple million bucks the stampede will begin.

Sorry, but if you think the NHL is going to hand out million dollar contracts to REPLACEMENTS you are wrong. Why would they spend millions on a player who could be kicked out of the NHL the second the Union comes back.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Please..maybe a handful of players would play...and i mean a HANDFUL....a dozen....any player who does will loose respect from there teammates and friends(Player friends)...I dont think they are willing to do that for a contract under 500k.

They will only "lose respect" if only a handful of them cross the line. Also, it's not like respect is currently a big value in the PA community. Add to that those players might become fan favorites, which could quite possibly make up for the loss of respect of a few. It depends on what the majority of the players think. There probably is many players that wouldn't mind playing under a cap.

SENSible1*

The NHL merely has to agree to honour existing contracts, with a rollback, to ensure that the incentive to cross is high.

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
I would pay to see replacement players. :yo: Bring 'em on!!! :handclap:

I'm tired of watching gutless millionnaires who cry when someone say to them: ''you will pass from 5M$ a year to 3.8M$....'' That's not fair!!!! We only earn 75% of all hockey revenues:cry:

Look at my brand new avatar :D

GO BETTMAN GO

Carl Spackler

Mar 9, 2004
Count me in as well. I would pay to see the replacements just to make the players suffer more under their misguided leadership.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Sorry, but if you think the NHL is going to hand out million dollar contracts to REPLACEMENTS you are wrong. Why would they spend millions on a player who could be kicked out of the NHL the second the Union comes back.

He's referring to NHLers that cross not scrubs.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure if US labor laws allow Foreign Nationals to be brought in as strikebreakers. They didn't during the 1994 Baseball Strike. Non-US citizens not on the active NHL roster at the declaration of a legal strike would be ineligible for work visas. That would rule out Canadian and European players, obviously, on the 24 American-based teams. Likewise, the Canadian-based teams (where applicable by law) could only bring aboard Canadian citizens.

That's if the NHLPA declared a strike.

At least that's my understanding.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Carl Spackler said:
Count me in as well. I would pay to see the replacements just to make the players suffer more under their misguided leadership.
And me too!! hell i find it more fun to watch the Hitman play than regular season NHL for the most part, i would have to think replacements would be at least as "hungry" as whl players...something 90% of NHL player aren't.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Bicycle Repairman said:
I'm not sure if US labor laws allow Foreign Nationals to be brought in as strikebreakers. They didn't during the 1994 Baseball Strike. Non-US citizens not on the active NHL roster at the declaration of a legal strike would be ineligible for work visas. That would rule out Canadian and European players, obviously, on the 24 American-based teams. Likewise, the Canadian-based teams (where applicable by law) could only bring aboard Canadian citizens.

I beleive thats correct but i also think the NHL can impose a new CBA after a (Year?) and be done with the PA all together if they can prove they wont negotiate fairly.
By the PA not allowing to split the pie fairly... the NHL may just win that case.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Future Drafts

Just because we replace current NHL superstars with AHL players at reduced salaries doesn't mean the game will stay that way forever. You reduce the talent pool in the short term, but every year you are still drafting the same talent you would have drafted anyway, and since those players come into a league with reduced average salaries, eventually in the long term you end up with the same superstars at reduced prices.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:

BC and Quebec have anti-scab laws in effect.

And for the NHL to exist on scab players for any period of time, wouldn't the NHL need a scab union to agree to a scab CBA so they could have a scab draft?

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Gaebriel said:
Just because we replace current NHL superstars with AHL players at reduced salaries doesn't mean the game will stay that way forever. You reduce the talent pool in the short term, but every year you are still drafting the same talent you would have drafted anyway, and since those players come into a league with reduced average salaries, eventually in the long term you end up with the same superstars at reduced prices.
I can't imagine the AHL (or the ECHL for that matter) being pleased at the prospect of having their role as a developmental league wholly usurped by the NHL. They've managed to maintain an amicable relationship with their union(s). Why should they, an innocent third party, be made to suffer? It's one thing to lose a few players to call up, it's another to lose a significant chunk of their squads due to NHL shenanigans.

Besides, as members of the PHPA, AHL and ECHL players cannot be co-oerced into strikebreaking.

Hecht

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
since we are talking replacement players..

Does anyone know how many current NHL players are not with the Union?

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
First, a strike would have to be declared. There is no strike there can be no strike breakers. For "scabs" to be used, an impasse would have to be declared and the NHL would then be free to implement the system they want. Any players willing to play under these conditions would be free to come and play. At least that is my understanding of the situation. I'm sure that system would be very similar to the proposal offered today by the NHL.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Bicycle Repairman said:

So what happens to European players playing the AHL. Wouldn't they have a visa to play hockey and be able to be signed up to the NHL? They get traded so they can't be locked to just one AHL team (maybe its an AHL wide thing).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yep, I'd pay to go see it. And people gotta remember, if the owners bring in replacement players, I'm sure it will be under their terms, ie. cost certainty. It won't be the old NHL at first, but on the owners side they still have the best scouts, coaches, trainers, facilities, and publicity. Not to mention the Stanley Cup. It would start out with AHL'ers, kids, and an unkown amount of NHL'ers. The product won't be as good, so there will be less demand for tickets, ticket prices will drop. Less revenue will be generated, so player salaries will take a huge hit. But, the kids will get better, there will still be more money to be made in the NHL than anywhere else, so more players jump ship, the product gets better, more revenue is generated, player salaries go up. I don't know, the average NHL salary could be as low as $300k or so for the first year with replacement players, but give it 5 years and they'll climb back up there to a million +, except the owners will have their cost certainty and their cap. And the true hockey fans will be rewarded by being able to go to the games.
Like in vancouver for instance, I was a fan when the Canucks sucked, and it was easy to get to a game, even if it was only to watch them lose. It's great that they win more often now and make the playoffs, and its good that they're doing good as a business, but being a starving college student can I go to a game now? Not a chance, TV is my only option. If the owners go with replacement players, the games may not be as good, but I'll be seeing my Canucks live baby :yo:

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
me2 said:
So what happens to European players playing the AHL. Wouldn't they have a visa to play hockey and be able to be signed up to the NHL? They get traded so they can't be locked to just one AHL team (maybe its an AHL wide thing).
Good question. I think it would depend on whether they were already on a NHL contract at the time of a strike declaration, and whether they left the country and returned in the meantime. Also, I wonder if entering into a labor dispute changes the terms of employment.

myrocketsgotcracked

Gaebriel said:

ah, but the pro-PA side will tell you that junior players/draft eligible players will not want to play in a league with replacements (probably for the same old reasons like losing respect of their fellow players, friends, etc), even though he'll likely earn way more in the "new" nhl then anywhere else.
i will definitely watch replacement players if (a) it doesnt cost me a week's salary just to buy 2 tix, like nhl tix does, and (b) its not the clutch-n-grab, dump-n-chase, snore fest that some nhl games have become (thank god im a canuck fan).
but for people who question other for watching replacement players, realize that some of us pay $20 a ticket to watch junior hockey, and 70% of those players are never going to even make the ahl, that tells you all you need to know about the individual skill level that we care about.

Brent Burns Beard