The NHL, Your Wallet, and You: A Discussion on How to Watch the Lightning for Cheap (Legally)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
There was a bit of last-minute confusion on how to watch the Lightning this season, with the new arrangements the NHL finds itself in. That's what this thread is for.

There seems to be two main roads right now: online/smart TV, and traditional TV.

In order to get all potential Lightning games, you'd need Sun, Bally FL, ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, TNT, & TBS. It also seems that there are four games exclusive to ESPN+. Hopefully it'll be such a disaster, they'll put it on TV as well.

In-market traditional TV: maybe still the simplest option, although getting more expensive. A basic cable package should have everything on the list. (except the ESPN+ games)

Out-of-market traditional TV:
depending on your carrier, NHL Center Ice may be your only option if you don't want to start messing with online.

Now the fun stuff. Online/smart TV.

In-market online: Purely the cheapest option I've found is to get ESPN+ ($7/mo) and a paid, streaming quality VPN to get around the local blackout. I'll link to Tom Spark (good name), who doesn't seem to be influenced by 'big VPN' sponsorship money. I don't really care what you get (as long as you're satisfied), but realize that a VPN will, by its nature, slow your internet speeds down to some extent. Tom Spark likes WeVPN ($3-$10/month, but you can also save an additional 10% with code TOMSPARK)

VPNs are also only really useful for getting around geo-blocks. If you're concerned with privacy, a determined entity isn't going to be stopped, and if you're concerned about the government, what better honeypot than owning a bunch of VPN companies? You're still logging into Facebook and Google anyway.

However, the added benefit is that once you've got a streaming VPN (not all of them can do this), you can use them on your Netflix, Disney+, etc. as well and get the content in other countries. The big risk (and this has been happening recently) is that there will be a crackdown on VPNs by Disney, and it'll take days or weeks for the VPN company to figure out how to work around it.

Note: In order to get a VPN to work with your Smart TV, it does depend on your TV brand, but if you can access the Google Play Store, downloading the associated app on your TV should allow you to access your VPN from there. You can also connect your PC to your Smart TV via Ethernet cable. Finally, you can buy a router with VPN features, although that's a bit outside the scope of this thread.

The less risky option, if you're a Spectrum customer, is Spectrum Internet TV Choice. $35/mo, or really closer to $50/mo due to network fees. Local channels and the ability to choose all the channels you need for this. You are able to use this with a smart TV or your devices. The downside, besides not having ESPN+ for those 4 games, is that no one at Spectrum knows exactly how it works. You may need to choose Fox Sports 1 in order to take Sun Sports (and that seems to also give you Bally FL, although you only chose one), but then after that you can remove FS1, but you don't have access to this menu, it's just the people at Spectrum? The point is, it may take some persistence.

Check to make sure first. https://www.spectrumchoicechannels.com/

DirectTV Stream
at $70/month has every Lightning game (except the four on ESPN+). This may not be able to be bundled with AT&T Fiber in your area if you have low fiber.

Xfinity users can take a quiz to help them determine what they need. $75/month seems to get them internet & TV Help Me Decide | Xfinity

Out-of-market online:
ESPN+

Last edited:

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Xfinity has an app that you can stream your TV package on regardless of where you are.

VPN unlimited is another option for VPN. It's not necessarily super awesome, but if you watch it they sometimes offer sales on their lifetime purchase. I think I paid $50 for lifetime access on a black Friday deal. I just checked and its $140 right now. They also offer monthly or yearly rates etc. It's not the most highly rated service but it seems to be decent and well worth the price if you catch it on the right sale. And I might be old school, but I really try to limit my exposure to anything that is a monthly charge / subscription. Obliviously I have monthly bills for things, but I am really hesitant to sign up for anything that I have to pay every month for access.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Xfinity has an app that you can stream your TV package on regardless of where you are.

VPN unlimited is another option for VPN. It's not necessarily super awesome, but if you watch it they sometimes offer sales on their lifetime purchase. I think I paid $50 for lifetime access on a black Friday deal. I just checked and its $140 right now. They also offer monthly or yearly rates etc. It's not the most highly rated service but it seems to be decent and well worth the price if you catch it on the right sale. And I might be old school, but I really try to limit my exposure to anything that is a monthly charge / subscription. Obliviously I have monthly bills for things, but I am really hesitant to sign up for anything that I have to pay every month for access.
The $3/mo VPN is technically for 27 months (2 years + 3 months), but to keep things straight in people's heads, it works out to $3 a month. It's $10 if you just buy one month.

Spectrum lets you stream if you have a TV package too, but I'm trying to, under this new world order, figure out what our options really are.

edit: Looking at it now, what's #1 BS is that it seems they're requiring ESPN+ in order to get every single game. Nov 30th at St. Louis is the first game that's exclusively on ESPN+ & Hulu. It's literally not on TV.

I see that Private Internet Access is selling a 3-year plan for $2.19 a month. They keep putting this fake timer up. Go ahead and ignore that for now. Spark does directly compare it with WeVPN in a YouTube video from the past few days. PIA does have dedicated IP addresses for another $3.75 a month, which will keep you out of the VPN/Streamer battle as you'd be the only one using it. You'd probably want an IP address in another country, in order to get the Netflix, Disney+ catalog of that country.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad