GDT: The NHL Trade Deadline: More Trades Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Wings got a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for Tatar

its not all that bad. the 3rd rounder is in 2021! they are "going for it" this year so the 1st round pick wont mean much. that 2nd next year when they come crashing (i'm calling it) back to earth and in the toilet will cost them thoguh

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rags are accumulating picks and if they hit on them they will build a powerhouse team in a few years.

Seems like teams overpaid overall.
Especially Boston with Nash and Vegas for Tatar

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
They accumulated picks but they’re all late 1sts/2nds/3rds. I mean a lot of people have been saying that talent drops off around 20 in this draft so it’s not like they’re making out like bandits.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm surprised how many like the Maroon deal. I hope he proves me wrong, but he just seems the opposite of the philosophy this team is trying to build. We don't need any more Boyles.

Reactions: Davegarri

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The news around the league thread is closed and I don't know where to put this info but Brassard might not in the lineup tomorrow for the Pens cause he's still waiting for his visa. He was skating this morning, on his own in Toronto, with some staff guy from the Pens.

Got this info this morning from my buddy who works at TVA sport and had a personal interview with Brossard after his "morning skate".

The penguins found Brossard some ice time... at 7h15am this morning!!! He didn't necessarily appreciate the fact that they couldn't find anything at a better time slot, especially in TO.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I'm surprised the Rangers traded McDonagh. He would be an excellent piece to help ease in their young defense during the down years. This seems like a sign they are expecting to go full dumpster for the next four years while their bad contracts expire.

As for the Maroon trade - Not too high on the player but it can be a major bonus for potential free agents the next two years where the Devils has plenty of space and are putting a lot of effort into trying to win.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm surprised how many like the Maroon deal. I hope he proves me wrong, but he just seems the opposite of the philosophy this team is trying to build. We don't need any more Boyles.

We need someone we can park in front of the net. Lack of screens and garbage goals was an issue.

Also getting tougher along the boards helps. We have plenty of speed elsewhere to balance it out.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wings got a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd for Tatar

I was looking up 2018 draft picks to see all the pick movement. I didn't realize that the 2nd rounder that Ottawa gave up in the Brassard/Zibanejad trade was this years. The Rangers gave up that pick at last year's deadline for Brendan Smith. So Detroit likely has another pick in the ~35 range this year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
All in all I'd say this was a pretty successful deadline at least in terms of us making the playoffs. Actually winning a round is going to be harder with all these superteams in the East now though.

I mean they only gave up a 2019 3rd and a middling college guy for a forward who if nothing else gives them a little more sandpaper. It's not like we gave up a 1 or one of our key prospects. I know people get wrapped up in every forward needing skill, skill, skill and speed but we didn't have anyone to throw down when our players have been getting manhandled all year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
All in all I'd say this was a pretty successful deadline at least in terms of us making the playoffs. Actually winning a round is going to be harder with all these superteams in the East now though.

I mean they only gave up a 2019 3rd and a middling college guy for a forward who if nothing else gives them a little more sandpaper. It's not like we gave up a 1 or one of our key prospects. I know people get wrapped up in every forward needing skill, skill, skill and speed but we didn't have anyone to throw down when our players have been getting manhandled all year.

I think we did a good job at improving our odds to actually win some playoff games. We are deeper then we were a week ago.

For once we actually have plenty of skill do sandpaper was a legit need. It wasn’t like the last Lou years were we were just adding sandpaper on top of sandpaper.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
well...i was hoping we would end the day by trading some of our dead wood for a few draft picks, but i guess that wasn't realistic. we'll just need to draft really well with the picks we have left- how nice to have some confidence in our scouting department

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Shero just wanted to keep our depth D while adding to it up front, and didn't think getting, say a 2 for Moore was worth possibly leaving us short in depth for the stretch run if someone else got hurt. Assuming we had traded a defenseman and someone got hurt we'd be pretty thin in a hurry.

They certainly added enough depth up front to suggest that depth was a priority at the deadline, so keeping it on D would likely be as important as adding it up front.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think Shero just wanted to keep our depth up front and on D and didn't think getting, say a 2 for Moore was worth possibly leaving us short in depth for the stretch run if someone else got hurt. Assuming we had traded a defenseman and someone got hurt we'd be pretty thin in a hurry.

They certainly added enough depth up front to suggest that was a priority at the deadline.

They also like Moore. I think they like Stafford and Hayes as a 13th and 14th forward and honestly they are fine in that role. Hayes was decent in his spot appearances lately. They just aren’t every day players and I doubt there was any real market for them.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
as long as the rangers dont hit on the lotto their rebuild is like 4 years easily. late round picks are great but they will take time if they even hit on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad