The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
hockeytown9321 said:
OK, you can believe the headline, and I'll believe the text. Works for me.
You know, you need to go into politics. With your ability to ignore the obvious, you could be a real candidate for White House Press Secretary.

GSC2k2*

Hockeytown, you would do yourself a favour if you were a man and responded something along the lines of "okay, fair enough, kdb, now that you point that headline out, the press release was not misleading. Yeah, the NHL is experiencing record attendance right now. However, that is due to pent-up demand and won't last in my view. And the lockout was still wrong. And in my humble opinion, Bettman is still an idiot."

Instead, you continue to make a fool out of yourself with:

"Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
OK, you can believe the headline, and I'll believe the text. Works for me."

Even if you don't care what people think of you, don't you have some self-respect?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:
Hockeytown, you would do yourself a favour if you were a man and responded something along the lines of "okay, fair enough, kdb, now that you point that headline out, the press release was not misleading. Yeah, the NHL is experiencing record attendance right now. However, that is due to pent-up demand and won't last in my view. And the lockout was still wrong. And in my humble opinion, Bettman is still an idiot."

Instead, you continue to make a fool out of yourself with:

"Originally Posted by hockeytown9321
OK, you can believe the headline, and I'll believe the text. Works for me."

Even if you don't care what people think of you, don't you have some self-respect?

Here's something the journalism experts here forgot to mention: headlines are not written by the same person who wrote an article. Could it be that whoever wrote that headline was as carelss as most hockey fans and made an assumption?

Whatever, like I said, if the NHL doesn't call me back on Monday, I'll try again, and it'll all be cleared up.

Vic Rattlehead*

hockeytown9321 said:
This will be resolved soon. I just left a message with the NHL to clarify the record. I'll let everyone know when they call back(I'm sure it'll be collect, we're talking about Gary Bettman here)

Just admit you are wrong.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
hockeytown9321 said:
Here's something the journalism experts here forgot to mention: headlines are not written by the same person who wrote an article. Could it be that whoever wrote that headline was as carelss as most hockey fans and made an assumption?
Headlines for a company press release are written by the same person as the text. You keep confusing the practices of a large newspaper and a small PR department. You are choosing to disregard a portion of the league's message, and because of that, you are wrong.

Why not go crazy and ignore every third word?

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
The article is somewhat poorly written in that you do have to read the title and the opening sentence a few times to figure it out. Rather than play with the semantics, here are some numbers:

Average Oct '05 Attendance per Game: 16,820
Number of Games Played in Oct '05: 174
Total Attendees League Wide: (Avg X No. of Games)=2,926,680

% of Total NHL Capacity per Press Release: 91.2%
Total (100%) League Capacity if 16,820 is 91.2% = 18,443

So the league would need to draw 3,209,079 to reach 100% capacity for 174 games.

Assuming that the capacity of the league is the same for Oct 2003 and October 2005, we can see that the average number of attendees has increased by 3.8% from 16,205 to 16,820.

Now...the league does appear to have set a new record both for attendance in Octobers and the average number of attendees per game in Octobers.

[font=&quot]However, no one should make too much out of these numbers since we have 5 more months to go. The success of the season should be judged in total, while a “true†judgment about a trend should be based on more than half of the data versus basing it on 1/6th of the data and trying to project on that basis. It is possible, but we'd need individual team rates and agreement on how much error we accept. With a current difference of 3.8% over the previous season, it might not be too difficult though.

[/font]

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Troy McClure said:
Why not go crazy and ignore every third word?

Or I could pretend the release says something it doesn't.

btw, you've neglected to tell me how the NHL's release and the ESPN article are different.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
hockeytown9321 said:
Or I could pretend the release says something it doesn't.

btw, you've neglected to tell me how the NHL's release and the ESPN article are different.
I really don't care anymore. You can backpedal away from your stance that the press release was confusing all you want. That's fine. Whatever. I read it and understood it just fine. If you didn't, that's your problem.

GSC2k2*

QUOTE=hockeytown9321]Or I could pretend the release says something it doesn't.
I think that is what you already have been doing, chum.

Hockeytown, I have a bag of hammers that I really think you ought to meet. I think you two have a lot in common and would hit it off.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:
Hockeytown, I have a bag of hammers that I really think you ought to meet. I think you two have a lot in common and would hit it off.

I really don't think threatening me helps your argument.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Why does hockeytown9321 hate hockey?

It's the only explanation for his hardheadedness and stubbornness after being proven utterly wrong. He does not want the NHL to succeed and tries to spread misinformation that it is not.

GSC2k2*

hockeytown9321 said:
I really don't think threatening me helps your argument.
Boy, did you ever miss the intent of my post.

Try it this way. "Person X is ****** than a bag of hammers." Are you familiar with that expression?

Then go back and re-read my post.

Q.E.D., I guess ...

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Ken Campbell the other day :
(from http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...1&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278)

DOWN, DOWN, DOWN: The NHL made a huge deal about setting an attendance record for the month of October with an average 16,820 per game, but the fact is that it was trending downward as the month went on and it continues to drop.

Already in November, the league is attracting almost 700 fewer customers per game. Going into last night, the per-game attendance average for November was 16,137.

GSC2k2*

Injektilo said:
Ken Campbell the other day :
(from http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...1&call_pageid=1044442959412&col=1044442957278)

DOWN, DOWN, DOWN: The NHL made a huge deal about setting an attendance record for the month of October with an average 16,820 per game, but the fact is that it was trending downward as the month went on and it continues to drop.

Already in November, the league is attracting almost 700 fewer customers per game. Going into last night, the per-game attendance average for November was 16,137.
It would be pretty fair to assume that is a normal trend across all sports and the NHL in particular (especially in December when people are shopping, etc.) after all of the opening nights are out of the way, and that it goes up again in March or so. I would like to see the stats, though.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
For those interested in the truth, you can call the NHL in New York at 212-789-2000(just tell the operator you have a question about the attendance record) and they'll confirm the record that was set was total attendance, not average.

So, if anyone wants to admit they were wrong, now is probably a good time.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Wrong about what? About being able to easily comprehend the release as it was written? If the release was in error, blame the NHL. You being unable to read and understand what was written remains your own problem. If the NHL did make a mistake in their release, you are still wrong for being unable to read what was presented.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Troy McClure said:
Wrong about what?

The fact the you(and others) said the NHL set a record for average attendance when they clearly didn't.

Troy McClure said:
About being able to easily comprehend the release as it was written?

I did comprehend it, it was I who understood that they were trying to mislead their fans.

Troy McClure said:
If the release was in error, blame the NHL.

I do blame the NHL. They're a bunch of con-men.

Troy McClure said:
You being unable to read and understand what was written remains your own problem.

Since the way I interpreted the article is correct, you might be the one with the problem.

Troy McClure said:
If the NHL did make a mistake in their release, you are still wrong for being unable to read what was presented.

Again, I did read what was presented, and I drew my own conclusion. It just so happens that my conclusion was correct. And don't delude yourself into thinking the NHL simply made a mistake in wording.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
We have no proof of the question you asked the person on the phone. For all we know you asked "did the NHL set a total attendance record?" without mentioning anything about the average attendance, and got a "yes" answer and hung up.

Since we KNOW you have an axe to grind, the NHL's press release is a lot more convincing, with a lot more credibility, than you.

Try again.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Crazy_Ike said:
We have no proof of the question you asked the person on the phone. For all we know you asked "did the NHL set a total attendance record?" without mentioning anything about the average attendance, and got a "yes" answer and hung up.

Since we KNOW you have an axe to grind, the NHL's press release is a lot more convincing, with a lot more credibility, than you.

Try again.

Call them yourself if you want. If you must know, I asked whether the record was average or total attendnance. At first, they guy said he thought it was both, I asked if he could make sure, he came back and told me it was just total.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
hockeytown9321 said:
Call them yourself if you want. If you must know, I asked whether the record was average or total attendnance. At first, they guy said he thought it was both, I asked if he could make sure, he came back and told me it was just total.
Did you ask them if the NHL set the average attendance record? Or did you ask them if the NHL set the average attendance record for October? There is a difference you know.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Spongebob said:
Did you ask them if the NHL set the average attendance record? Or did you ask them if the NHL set the average attendance record for October? There is a difference you know.

I lost the link, but I did see an article that stated the old record for average attendance for October was ~16,500, set in 1999. I'll have to hunt around again, if I have time.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
snafu said:
I lost the link, but I did see an article that stated the old record for average attendance for October was ~16,500, set in 1999. I'll have to hunt around again, if I have time.
Well some may say these are not real attendance figures but here is what I found from the NHL.com site.

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/11/241380.html

NHL ATTENDANCE FOR OCTOBER SINCE 1987
(Regular Season)

Year GP Avg. % Increase *

2005 174 16,820 -------
2003 146 16,205 +3.8%
2002 150 16,226 +3.7%
2001 182 16,289 +3.3%
2000 167 16,212 +3.8%
1999 165 16,397 +2.6%
1998 126 15,694 +7.2%
1997 170 15,833 +6.2%
1996 148 16,008 +5.1%
1995 136 15,170 +10.9%
1993 154 15,436 +9.0%
1992 139 14,570 +15.4%
1991 134 14,811 +13.6%
1990 134 15,099 +11.4%
1989 131 15,083 +11.5%
1988 118 15,018 +12.0%
1987 111 14,092 +19.4%

According to these figures the average attendance for October in 1999 was 16,397.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad