The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
There's still some bitter anti-Bettmanites who cannot bring themselves to admit that he's got the game going in the right direction at last (after finally wresting power away from selfish dinosaur owners and a blinded NHLPA out of touch with reality). They don't WANT the new NHL to succeed, and don't WANT to see evidence that it is doing so.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Geese_Howard said:
i question how many of those were free ticket give aways or buy one get one free.
And people using those programs is still equally a good sign. To the owners that difference is pretty minimal anyway. Getting you to buy a ticket is only half of the fight. You buying beer, hot dogs, parking, and whatever else once you are there is the other. So if you buy a ticket and bring a buddy for free, the owner is still a winner because he's going to make money on what otherwise would have been an empty seat.

polarslam

Apr 2, 2004
Winnipeg
Crazy_Ike said:
There's still some bitter anti-Bettmanites who cannot bring themselves to admit that he's got the game going in the right direction at last (after finally wresting power away from selfish dinosaur owners and a blinded NHLPA out of touch with reality). They don't WANT the new NHL to succeed, and don't WANT to see evidence that it is doing so.

I'm thrilled to see the game rebound. But I have to question anything that comes form the NHL PR machine because this is the same leauge that liked to pretend for 10 years that nothing was wrong with the game, that attendence was good, etc, etc.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Crease29 said:
The argument that was being made was that nowhere in the article does it say that the record that was broken was the average-attendence record. If you've ever taken a statistics course or a public relations course, you'd understand that you can take any set of data and spin it however you like based on the wording of the article it is presented in.

In this case, it is said that the NHL set a new all-time attendence record for the month of October. Then the writer of the article says that the average attendence of the league is 16,820. The reader is automatically going to associate the two pieces of information and assume that the league set a new all-time average-attendence rating. Sure the article could have been poorly written. But this article was written by the NHL. You'd think they'd specify. What I believe happened was that the league set a new total-attendence record, aided by unprecedented number of games played in October by the league, and then fed us information about how the league's average-attendence rating was above that of the last four years.

So you're saying that the league never had a better average-attendence rating than 2002's 16,226 before this year? That I'm not so sure about. It had to have beat that mark in the 90's. But of course that wouldn't result in a record total-attendence rating because there wasn't 30 teams 10 years ago.

Or the article was just written poorly. :dunno:

At least someone gets it. In fairness, I guess it is hard to see when your head is up Gary's ***.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Spongebob said:
. I think this will be the first time in history a major sport will have increased attendance after a labor dispute.

Actually, after the 94-95 dispute was solved, the average attendance went up for the 48 games in 95 compared to the 82 games in 93-94. I think it was only by about 50 people, but....

I think the case here is that yes, hockey fans are die-hard fans, particularily in the US where you're either a die-hard or not a fan at all, there aren't the same number of casual fans that baseball has. People were without their NHL for well over a year, so when it came back, they jumped at it, on both sides of the border.

now that it's been back for a bit, we'll see if Novembers numbers keep growing or drop.

Souray44

Jan 26, 2004
Mtl
hockeytown9321 said:
At least someone gets it. In fairness, I guess it is hard to see when your head is up Gary's ***.

Your comments don't even make sense and neither do the opinions of the person your agreeing with here.

The AVERAGE (I said AVERAGE and so did the report) attendence in the NHL in the month of October is not affected in any way by the amount of teams in the league. If you divide 500 people by 15 teams its 33.3 people average you get the same restult with 1000 people by 30 teams. The AVERAGE is the same so get your head out of your own *** and pay attention you close minded anti-bettman follower.

The league is on the rise and Bettmans at the helm. The game you and I love is doing better than ever (at least in October) so lets just hope it keeps on improving month by month.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Souray44 said:
Your comments don't even make sense and neither do the opinions of the person your agreeing with here.

The AVERAGE (I said AVERAGE and so did the report) attendence in the NHL in the month of October is not affected in any way by the amount of teams in the league. If you divide 500 people by 15 teams its 33.3 people average you get the same restult with 1000 people by 30 teams. The AVERAGE is the same so get your head out of your own *** and pay attention you close minded anti-bettman follower.

Talk about not making sense. Believe what you want to believe.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
hockeytown9321 said:
once again, you don't understand PR. It has nothing to do with journalism, this was a press release written by the NHL. No reporter uncovered this information. The NHL was purposefully ambigous.
You inability to read is not my problem. Their release was very clear. The article written by another guy based on that release was not.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Troy McClure said:
You inability to read is not my problem. Their release was very clear. The article written by another guy based on that release was not.

Are you speaking of this part of the NHL's release?
"The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October after averaging 16,820 fans per game in its return from the lockout."

Here's an example of the difference between a NHL press release and a real article, talking about the debut on OLN:

Press Release:
http://www.nhl.com/features/oln_game101005.html

Real Article:
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1001262549

See the difference?

Last edited:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Crazy_Ike said:

however as a canadian in amerika - there is virtually no national marketing at all - the only thing i've seen are those two bogus commercial's - and that gladiator one isn't shown anymore - the oln one with the actor's is still circulating - espn - when they show any hi-lites at all - never shows any western games - markus naslund - jerome iginla - are nowhere to be seen - the fsn however is always pushing the kings and ducks - they do a great job - lotsa specials on the players - last night a whole half hour with jr - but if you oln bashers could see mr fox the color guy - he is the worst i've ever encountered - he has to talk through the whole play stoppage and the wrap up with some clever lead in to the play - have to turn the sound down - that said - the kings and ducks are on almost every day - but its regional cable

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
hockeytown9321 said:
Here's an example of the difference between a NHL press release and a real article, talking about the debut on OLN:

See the difference?
Yeah, a press release is just that. A small bit of info for the press. The NHL wasn't offering detailed analysis. It was a quick thing released so hockey writers could include it as a blurb in their articles. You see them all the time from every business around. Don't blame the NHL because someone poorly interpreted the press release to their readers.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Troy McClure said:
Yeah, a press release is just that. A small bit of info for the press. The NHL wasn't offering detailed analysis. It was a quick thing released so hockey writers could include it as a blurb in their articles. You see them all the time from every business around. Don't blame the NHL because someone poorly interpreted the press release to their readers.

Well, I would like to know why Bettman didn't tell us at the beginning of the lockout that he was going to be purposefully putting out misleading press releases open to interpretation to any reporter that had access to a PC.

He should have told us he would be doing that, and he didn't.

He lied, and it makes me wonder what other things he said were false; this is especially insidious when one takes into account the Penguins wanting a new arena -- he didn't tell us about that, either.

He also should have told us that Sundin's orbital lobe was subject to a fracture if hit by a puck, so I wouldn't have ****ing picked him in my hockey pool.

Just a litany of ways in which Bettman continues to attempt to deceive the fans and players.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
Troy McClure said:
hockeytown9321 said:
once again, you don't understand PR. It has nothing to do with journalism, this was a press release written by the NHL. No reporter uncovered this information. The NHL was purposefully ambigous.
Are you speaking of this part of the NHL's release?
"The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October after averaging 16,820 fans per game in its return from the lockout."

Of course in your attempt to twist the NHL PR into some piece of misleading propaganda, you seem to be blissfully ignoring the Bold Font Headline right at the top of the Press Release:

NHL sets record average attendance in October

NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October after averaging 16,820 fans per game in its return from the lockout.

Which makes that statement in no way ambiguous or confusing. The NHL set an all time average attendance record in October.

So who is being intentionally confusing and trying to twist the facts here - the NHL or the rabid anti-Bettman acolytes. I think it's the latter.

Last edited:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Troy McClure said:
Don't blame the NHL because someone poorly interpreted the press release to their readers.

Once again, rom the NHL:

The ESPN article:
"The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October, attracting an average of 16,820 fans" http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2210711

Now, since I can't read, can you tell me how these are different? Thanks.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
kdb209 said:
Which makes that statement in no way ambiguous or confusing. The NHL set an all time average attendance record in October.

Where did you find that information?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:

Question:

If you own a sweater, and you discover, after looking long and hard, a loose thread, do you pick at it and pick at it until the entire sweater falls apart?

Just curious.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Timmy said:
Question:

If you own a sweater, and you discover, after looking long and hard, a loose thread, do you pick at it and pick at it until the entire sweater falls apart?

Just curious.

Question:

Do you ever add anything meaningful to any conversation?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
kdb209 said:

Right in the Bold Font Headline of that same NHL PR, which you seem to be continually (and willfully) ignoring:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/11/241424.html

NEW YORK (CP) - The NHL set an all-time attendance record for the month of October after averaging 16,820 fans per game in its return from the lockout.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
hockeytown9321 said:
kdb209 said:
Right in the Bold Font Headline of that same NHL PR, which you seem to be continually (and willfully) ignoring:

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/11/241424.html
OK, you can believe the headline, and I'll believe the text. Works for me.

Believe the text (and ignore the big headline right above it) if you will - it just reinforces the delusional nature of anti-Bettman true believers.

You were the one blatantly accusing the NHL of intentionally being ambiguous:

hockeytown9321 said:

Yes, they were so purposely ambiguous that they trumpeted the "Record Average Attendance" in their Bold Font Headline, fer-god-sakes.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
This will be resolved soon. I just left a message with the NHL to clarify the record. I'll let everyone know when they call back(I'm sure it'll be collect, we're talking about Gary Bettman here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->