The NHL seem to think that there is a Bruins-Wild rivalry

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think that there's more to it than just marketing. I suspect that the NHL, in coming up with the schedule, tries to line up rivalry (or, at least, division) games on Wednesday nights because NBC's marketing interests are their own interests; then, NBC tries to cover as many of those as possible. More often than not, by my evaluation, the games shown are rivalries (more or less). When you have ~25 Wednesdays during the regular season, though, you're likely going to have some that don't really satisfy the rivalry criteria because of scheduling, building availability, broadcast rights, logistics and so on. I imagine that tonight is one of those nights. It's just a name tonight, but I think that it's more than just a name most of the time.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I think that there's more to it than just marketing. I suspect that the NHL, in coming up with the schedule, tries to line up rivalry (or, at least, division) games on Wednesday nights because NBC's marketing interests are their own interests; then, NBC tries to cover as many of those as possible. More often than not, by my evaluation, the games shown are rivalries (more or less). When you have ~25 Wednesdays during the regular season, though, you're likely going to have some that don't really satisfy the rivalry criteria because of scheduling, building availability, broadcast rights, logistics and so on. I imagine that tonight is one of those nights. It's just a name tonight, but I think that it's more than just a name most of the time.

Nhl/nbc could schedule 25 rivalry games for Wednesdays if they wanted to. Just like how the nfl/espn line up marquee match ups for Monday night football.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So far, we've established 3 sports where someone has gone from Minnesota to Boston (Kevin Garnett, Manny Fernandez, David Ortiz)... Can't think of football player :rant:

Didactic*

Both two teams that were once good falling into irrelevancy. This could be good.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It would be boring all season long if they only scheduled some "real" rivalries for these national games. But this is one impressive one, frequently the games have some stretch that maybe makes sense, like oh their two of the Original 6 teams. This one is, meh who cares.

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I'm excited for the Dallas Stars vs. Florida Panthers Rivalry Night started off because of Ed Belfour.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
It's more of a city rivalry than a Wild vs Bruins rivalry. Minny and Boston is one of the historic college rivalries of all time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00