The NHL seem to think that there is a Bruins-Wild rivalry

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
According to the NHL the Bruins-Wild match-up tonight is a rivalry night/match-up.

NHL ‏@NHL 4m4 minutes ago
.@NHLBruins have lost 3 in a row. Will that change on #RivalryNight vs. @MNwild? http://s.nhl.com/6010v8ow #BOSvsMIN

B5FSPQVIYAEG0D4.jpg

I'm all for these rivalry match-ups but at least do it with games that are rivalries.

Does anyone else get annoyed when they have faux rivalries?

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
I've seen NBC show irrelevant 'rivalry' games while Habs-Bruins is being shown on another network. I don't think it's meant to be serious.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I think the "rivalry night" thing was just NBC marketing for hockey showing on Wednesdays, regardless of who's playing each other, kinda like their "Must See TV" which you didn't need to see any of it except maybe Fresh Prince.

TrustyPatches*

When i think of great sports rivalries i think Cowboys vs Redskins, Yankees vs Red Socks, Celtics vs Lakers and of course The Bruins and Wild! Only one word for such a heated rivalry: CLASSIC!

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
I think the "rivalry night" thing was just NBC marketing for hockey showing on Wednesdays, regardless of who's playing each other, kinda like their "Must See TV" which you didn't need to see any of it except maybe Fresh Prince.

yeah pretty much. its the name of a tv program. nothing to do with rivalries.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Or perhaps there's one NBC producer who was originally from Minnesota but moved to Boston and now has severe inner turmoil over which team to support.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Bear vs. Bearcat.

Clearly a rivalry.

:biglaugh: Thanks for lol

I hate the "Wednesday Night Rivalry" nonsense. It's a stretch at best. Do they still do the half hour pre-game explaining the rivalries? They should just be upfront and call it "Wednesday Night Two Teams That probably Don't Like Each Other Too Much But That's As Far As It Goes."

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Two of the biggest American hockey markets. Would be like Pittsburgh-Buffalo, or Chicago-NYR.

No one wants to see the Penguins curb stomp some crappy team....or do they?

A rangers/chicago match up would be pretty great. I am still disappointed we didn't see a Chicago vs. Rangers Cup finals, last season. That would have been amazing.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
Rivalry is such a small word. I think they should upgrade to something like YEAH SPORTS DRINK BEER CLASH OF THE TITANS FUN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS game between Bruins and Wild.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I think some of you are on to something here.

How about ...

"NBCSN's World Series of Wednesday Hockey !"

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
It's just Marketing. Wednesday is "Rivalry Night", but really it's just a game on Wednesday on NBCSN.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
There has to be a rivalry every wednesday or else!

I don't think people need to take it so literally. It's just another name to grab viewers. Nothing wrong with it.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Know who plays for the Wild? Keith Ballard. That's right, the Keith Ballard that played for the Vancouver Canucks that Bruins beat in the Cup final in 2011.

Rivalry!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad