Boston Globe The NHL reportedly asked the Bruins to tell Brad Marchand to quit licking people - Update: Not True!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:biglaugh:

marchand-komarov-kiss.gif

The NHL reportedly asked the Bruins to tell Brad Marchand to quit licking people - The Boston Globe

National Hockey League officials reportedly called the Boston Bruins this month and asked them to tell left wing Brad Marchand to quit licking people, according to an article posted to a Canadian sports news site.
According to SportsNet, “the Bruins got a, ‘we’d prefer if you could tell Brad Marchand to stop licking people’ phone call from the NHL.”

The reported phone call came after Marchand pressed his mouth to the neck of Maple Leafs forward Leo Komarov during Game 1 of the Bruins’ Stanley Cup playoffs series against Toronto and appeared to lick him. It was an attempt by Marchand to disrupt Komarov’s game.

The Bruins could not immediately be reached for comment.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Could easily be a gross misconduct - under the same rule as spitting on someone.

Aparently the NHL has gotten rid of the gross misconduct so it would likely now fall as a match penalty.

It states right in the rule that an unsportsmanlike penalty can be given for ungentlemanly conduct or poor sportsmanship. If licking another player’s face doesn’t fall under that then nothing will.

Then they could call two minutes for trash talking after every whistle.

I know what you are saying...but a letter ???

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I don't think you can make throat slashing gestures, throw the bird, and a dozen other things that aren't listed chapter and verse as unacceptable conduct.

Anyway, Brad is a weird dude.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm a big Marchand fan, but can understand where the league is coming from. I don't mind him getting under an opponent's skin, but this sort of physical contact crosses personal boundaries. And if an opposing player did that, I would not like it.

While maybe not offensive like say, James Wisniewski's obscene gesture toward Sean Avery, I don't think there's anyplace in the game for that sort of behavior.

Reactions: Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
LOL! Marchy is hilarious, but I totally understand the league doing this. Licking someone is just plain weird and nasty.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
There's an old minor league urban legend that Eric Boguniecki was jawing at Mel Angelstad once looking for a fight. Angelstad was almost a foot taller and saw no point in fighting him, so he grabbed him and kissed him square on the lips. Angelstad got 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
People talk like Marchand actually licked him when in fact he didn’t. This is just a hack (Friedman) from CBC trying to fill his column.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
:biglaugh:

marchand-komarov-kiss.gif

The NHL reportedly asked the Bruins to tell Brad Marchand to quit licking people - The Boston Globe

National Hockey League officials reportedly called the Boston Bruins this month and asked them to tell left wing Brad Marchand to quit licking people, according to an article posted to a Canadian sports news site.
According to SportsNet, “the Bruins got a, ‘we’d prefer if you could tell Brad Marchand to stop licking people’ phone call from the NHL.”

The reported phone call came after Marchand pressed his mouth to the neck of Maple Leafs forward Leo Komarov during Game 1 of the Bruins’ Stanley Cup playoffs series against Toronto and appeared to lick him. It was an attempt by Marchand to disrupt Komarov’s game.

The Bruins could not immediately be reached for comment.

good lord, how bout the NHL starts addressing the horrendous officiating this league now offers before worrying about this?

Reactions: BruinLVGA

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I know where you are going but under what rule?
I know where you are going but under what rule?

This is from the nhl website, downloaded the rule book (offical rules 2015-2016)

Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct
75.1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct – Players and non-playing Club
personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must
endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during or after the
game, on or off the ice and any place in the rink. The Referees may
assess penalties to any of the above team personnel for failure to do
so.
NOTE: When such conduct is directed at an official, Rule 39 – Abuse
of Officials shall be applied.
75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be
assessed under this rule for the following infractions:
(i) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive
language or gestures directed at any person.
(ii) Any player who is guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct including, but
not limited to hair-pulling, biting, grabbing hold of a face mask, etc
. If

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
This is from the nhl website, downloaded the rule book (offical rules 2015-2016)

Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct
75.1 Unsportsmanlike Conduct – Players and non-playing Club
personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must
endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during or after the
game, on or off the ice and any place in the rink. The Referees may
assess penalties to any of the above team personnel for failure to do
so.
NOTE: When such conduct is directed at an official, Rule 39 – Abuse
of Officials shall be applied.
75.2 Minor Penalty - A minor penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct shall be
assessed under this rule for the following infractions:
(i) Any identifiable player who uses obscene, profane or abusive
language or gestures directed at any person.
(ii) Any player who is guilty of unsportsmanlike conduct including, but
not limited to hair-pulling, biting, grabbing hold of a face mask, etc
. If
I do not see the word "licking" in what you highlighted in bold other than etc which could include blowing a kiss or winking.

Either way I find this whole thing hilarious and love that he did it. Not to mention he could just have Hyponatraemia.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I do not see the word "licking" in what you highlighted in bold other than etc which could include blowing a kiss or winking.

Either way I find this whole thing hilarious and love that he did it. Not to mention he could just have Hyponatraemia.
It has the statement "but not limited to"
which basically means they can pick and choose anything they want. I don't think licking someone is that much of a stretch to be applied here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad