The NHL is Eyeing Austin Texas instead of Houston - Oak View agrees to Build New Arena!!!

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Austin's MLS bid is essentially a done deal... the Columbus Crew's owner was going to move to Austin, but a group of fans blocked it by citing the "Art Modell Rule" that the state put in place after the Cleveland Browns moved (Every team in a publicly financed facility cannot move out of the facility unless there are no offers to buy the team and retain it in the facility).

The current Cleveland Browns ownership is going to step up and invest in saving the Crew, so the Crew owner and MLS are striking a deal where Austin gets a team and the Crew keeps a team. It might be a "paper trade" of "who's the new club and who's the existing club" (but that's been done before in numerous sports, like the Boston Celtics owner wanted to move to San Diego and the Buffalo Braves owner said he'd take the Boston market if it's vacated. So the Celtics owner took the Braves to San Diego (they're now the Clippers) and the Buffalo owner took over the Celtics).
Sure, but its still not a good news, lol.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
A few years back I started a general thread here about how Austin stands as a sport market as I thought the demos seemed like what everyone here praises as NHL demos.

Is Austin big enough for MLS and NHL and UT?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
A few years back I started a general thread here about how Austin stands as a sport market as I thought the demos seemed like what everyone here praises as NHL demos.

Is Austin big enough for MLS and NHL and UT?
Seems like an exactly clone of Columbus, right down to major college football program.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Austin would be a better fit than Houston. I firmly believe that city and the NHL are not a match whatsoever.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Bettman just wants to make an NHL team the first of its kind, that's why he pushed Vegas so hard and approved the Columbus Blue Jackets despite their nice arena, Nashville despite the fact they had just gotten the Tennessee Titans as well. I think that's why he's eyeing Austin, but as I somewhat agree to this because the attendance would be much higher in Austin as opposed to Houston, which would lead onto Houston's interest in an NHL team. It's questionable whether or not Houston could work out or not.

This is why I want Portland to get an NHL team, all they have is NBA there and think they could support a hockey team despite Seattle being 3 hours away. Also, Quebec because they would give the Nordiques terrific support, same with Hartford.

Problem with the Whalers was their arena.

Deleted member 93465

This is why I want Portland to get an NHL team, all they have is NBA there and think they could support a hockey team despite Seattle being 3 hours away. Also, Quebec because they would give the Nordiques terrific support, same with Hartford.

Problem with the Whalers was their arena.

They also have a very relevant/popular soccer team, and are making a play for baseball now too.

And theyd be playing at the same time as the most popular team in the city.

Reactions: HisIceness

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the chance at an NHL franchise is in the picture, I'm sure that would change.

At 650m for a team. Not even Winnipeg Jets cost that much when the owners bought the thrashers and move them to Winnipeg and they have a 15k stadium.

NHL is very very gate heavy league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
5 million people in Phoenix. Lotta good that does.
Residents in AZ aren’t in the mood to subsidize pro sports teams. Read that the city of Phoenix is letting the diamondbacks end their lease early in 2022 to search for a new home. Diamondbacks were seeking close to $200 million in renovations.

The diamondbacks may try to get something done on tribal land.

See how this plays out for the suns as well as their lease is due in 2022.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
How much of the company and jobs growth is from transplants in Austin?

Dems to be a lot, it is changing the political environment a lot, assume it’s growth from outside, which could be a good thing I guess?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The key for Austin would be how the NHL would define the TV map in Texas. Austin would be very similar to Columbus, OH which has worked for the NHL.

I think it is more likely that we will see Barroway:surrenderand move the Coyotes to Houston and get a lease similar to what the NBA Celtics have with the Bruins ( Free rent and allowed to have signage during games but the Rockets control the luxury seating and concessions.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BJNT

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I think Jacob still wants Houston. Plus Austin is like 49 in the tv market.
Is Jacobs willing to sell the Bruins and move a team to Houston? Jacobs wanting Houston will not get a team there. Have to go where you are wanted. Can they get their own arena in Houston? Wil Fertita just let them share with the Rockets? If he did, doubt it would be with a lease that favors the NHL owner.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I agree. Houston should definitely be picked over Austin. But both should be picked if you can find a willing owner/arena in Austin. Austin is far enough from both Dallas/Houston. It's got a lot of +++. Fastest growing market, only market over 2M without a pro team, no pro competition you got San Antonio(which is also a top 10 growth market) 78(ish) miles away or so to tap a bit especially TV wise. Only downside is that you do have the University of Texas. The NBA has 3 successful Texas NBA teams, there is no reason the NHL can't do the same taking Austin instead of San Antonio.
You are forgetting how much more popular the sport of basketball is in the US than hockey. The Spurs have been very successful winning 5 championships the last 20 years. Mavs have struggled the last 2 years, but won a championship and been to the finals in the last 10-12 years, and had a run of about 20 years where they missed the play-offs only once. Rockets have won 50 games 4 of the last 5 years, won 2 titles in the mid-90s and generally haven't had a play-off drought longer than 2-3 years at a time followed by a few years in. Point is, all 3 teams have enjoyed some success, which also helps with fan interest. Would 3 hockey teams have the same? Won't be easy.

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Residents in AZ aren’t in the mood to subsidize pro sports teams. Read that the city of Phoenix is letting the diamondbacks end their lease early in 2022 to search for a new home. Diamondbacks were seeking close to $200 million in renovations.

The diamondbacks may try to get something done on tribal land.

See how this plays out for the suns as well as their lease is due in 2022.

Phoenix City Council is voting on a bill this month to finance renovating TSRA. Would be:
City: 150M plus 2M a year for further infrastructure
Suns: 80M plus operating rights, and pay rent to the city.

I believe I saw that this would keep them there until 2037.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Phoenix City Council is voting on a bill this month to finance renovating TSRA. Would be:
City: 150M plus 2M a year for further infrastructure
Suns: 80M plus operating rights, and pay rent to the city.

I believe I saw that this would keep them there until 2037.
$230 million. Probably about the right amount given it opened in 1992 and compared to what Philly and stl and others are doing for theirs.

What are the chances now for the coyotes to get an arena in Phoenix area now? Who wants to build a second arena in the area to battle for arena dates with a renovated tsra?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad