The NHL is Eyeing Austin Texas instead of Houston - Oak View agrees to Build New Arena!!!

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Would love to see this but hope Houston also gets a team. Austin is the biggest city without a pro team and is the fastest growing city % wise by metro or CSA in either the United States or Canada.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And is there someone willing to throw that kind of money for a team want a team and building an arena in Austin?

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
And is there someone willing to throw that kind of money for a team want a team and building an arena in Austin?

Who knows? If the public would be willing to pay for a portion of the arena you could very well have people interested.

I just hope if Austin gets a team it don't come at Houston's expense.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Who knows? If the public would be willing to pay for a portion of the arena you could very well have people interested.

I just hope if Austin gets a team it don't come at Houston's expense.

I think Jacob still wants Houston. Plus Austin is like 49 in the tv market.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
I think Jacob still wants Houston.

I agree. Houston should definitely be picked over Austin. But both should be picked if you can find a willing owner/arena in Austin. Austin is far enough from both Dallas/Houston. It's got a lot of +++. Fastest growing market, only market over 2M without a pro team, no pro competition you got San Antonio(which is also a top 10 growth market) 78(ish) miles away or so to tap a bit especially TV wise. Only downside is that you do have the University of Texas. The NBA has 3 successful Texas NBA teams, there is no reason the NHL can't do the same taking Austin instead of San Antonio.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree. Houston should definitely be picked over Austin. But both should be picked if you can find a willing owner/arena in Austin. Austin is far enough from both Dallas/Houston. It's got a lot of +++. Fastest growing market, only market over 2M without a pro team, no pro competition you got San Antonio(which is also a top 10 growth market) 78(ish) miles away or so to tap a bit especially TV wise. Only downside is that you do have the University of Texas. NBA has 3 successful NBA teams, there is no reason the NHL can't do the same.
Overall, it does seem that the nhl does better in bigger us markets rather than go into smaller ones.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Overall, it does seem that the nhl does better in bigger us markets rather than go into smaller ones.

Agree but the NHL did fine in smaller Vegas and Nashville(which both only have or about to have the once a week NFL). Smaller markets are ok as long as you avoid other full time competition(NBA/MLB).

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Agree but the NHL did fine in smaller Vegas and Nashville(which both only have once a week NFL). Smaller markets are ok as long as you avoid other full time competition(NBA/MLB).

NHL also got a free arena out of Vegas.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
NHL also got a free arena out of Vegas.

Yes, and in Nashville the public paid for most of the arena too. Depends how they feel about public $$$ in Austin. Would the feeling be cool our 1st pro sports team sign me up or we got the University of Texas good enough?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes, and in Nashville the public paid for most of the arena too. Depends how they feel about public $$$ in Austin. Would the feeling be cool our 1st pro sports team sign me up or we got the University of Texas good enough?
Didn’t they say the same type of things about Columbus? How do those two cities differ in what they offer. Both cities in terms of sports is dominated by NCAA football.

If it’s between Houston and Austin, I think the safer bet is Houston.

A growing population is good, but more than that is corporate support.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Didn’t they say the same type of things about Columbus?

If it’s between Houston and Austin, I think the safer bet is Houston.

A growing population is good, but more than that is corporate support.

Totally agree on Houston being better.

Columbus started off well but had was run into the ground with a lot of losing.

Austin is definitely no Houston corporately but is attracting lot of high tech companies.

Why is Austin an Attractive Hub for Many Tech Companies?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Listened to the article.

My take is he Didn't say that the league is eyeing Austin over Houston. He is suggesting it as an alternative to Houston mentioning the government agency that owns the building has no interest in hockey, though he doesn't mention Feritta's interest.

I agree on some level it would be a niche market where they would have it pretty much to themselves plus MLS. I think of it along the lines of Columbus. The NBA would not go there with the Spurs close by, the NFL won't go because of Jerry Jones, MLB is doubtful - can't see both the Rangers and Astros agreeing to split their regional market.

Then again, McKenzie's thoughts was in the context of expansion. Houston seems more like a relocation spot right now.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Listened to the article.

My take is he Didn't say that the league is eyeing Austin over Houston. He is suggesting it as an alternative to Houston mentioning the government agency that owns the building has no interest in hockey, though he doesn't mention Feritta's interest.

I agree on some level it would be a niche market where they would have it pretty much to themselves plus MLS. I think of it along the lines of Columbus. The NBA would not go there with the Spurs close by, the NFL won't go because of Jerry Jones, MLB is doubtful - can't see both the Rangers and Astros agreeing to split their regional market.

Then again, McKenzie's thoughts was in the context of expansion. Houston seems more like a relocation spot right now.
Don’t Rockets control the arena?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I could see Austin as a good play instead of Houston. You'd be bringing in fans who might not be NHL fans, but jump on because they're the only Big Four team that's in Austin instead of saturated marketplace of Houston.

As for the TV market thing, it's really not that big of a deal, because Austin's TV market would include Houston (and San Antonio). Dallas ownership would be against it, obviously.

The thing with TV markets is that EVERY MARKET gets someone was their "home team" the way the NHL carves up rights. It's just a matter of making more fans interested in Austin/Houston/San Antonio if they had their own team vs watching Dallas' team.

This can’t be good for AUstin MLS bid lol...

Austin's MLS bid is essentially a done deal... the Columbus Crew's owner was going to move to Austin, but a group of fans blocked it by citing the "Art Modell Rule" that the state put in place after the Cleveland Browns moved (Every team in a publicly financed facility cannot move out of the facility unless there are no offers to buy the team and retain it in the facility).

The current Cleveland Browns ownership is going to step up and invest in saving the Crew, so the Crew owner and MLS are striking a deal where Austin gets a team and the Crew keeps a team. It might be a "paper trade" of "who's the new club and who's the existing club" (but that's been done before in numerous sports, like the Boston Celtics owner wanted to move to San Diego and the Buffalo Braves owner said he'd take the Boston market if it's vacated. So the Celtics owner took the Braves to San Diego (they're now the Clippers) and the Buffalo owner took over the Celtics).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad