The next great rivalry?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Even though they are in another conference, Leafs and Jets seem to be building one. Leafs and Sabres should be nice too, Eichel vs Matthews, Nylander vs Nylander

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Toronto will probably break their 14-game losing streak against Montreal sometime soon so that rivalry might restart when it's not so lopsided

This losing streak was essential in obtaining Matthews and Marner.

-

As for this thread, Leafs vs Sabres SHOULD be one. Leafs vs Oilers is another.

liquiduck

Jul 23, 2015
Anaheim and Edmonton are going to be butting heads quite a bit in the next 3-5 years.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
tenor.gif

Yeah it'll never be one of the elite rivalries but if a playoff series or something could jump start it, Preds and Stars could be a good one. Most people don't realize (why would they?) that whenever the two teams get together it's a battle. I don't know what it is really, but there seems to be some bad blood between them. Always chippy and is made for a playoff series. When we played the Blues in the second round the narrative was "Hey they finally played in a playoff series. Maybe a rivalry comes from it." While that may be, I found myself sort of wishing that it was actually Dallas we were finally playing.

Went to a Preds/Stars game in February and I was suprised with how rough it already is. Throw in a Playoff matchup and I think it could jump start it.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Tor - Buf could get something going given proximity and the Matthews / Eichel thing.

Ultimately I think it comes down to some playoff battles to build another generation of rivals though, and you can't predict that.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Anaheim vs. Edmonton sure got off to a good start this year. Problem is Anaheim may not be a contender for much longer. Edmonton vs. Calgary may be a really good one going forward. Nashville vs. Dallas could be something too.

Some Flames fans in here are mentioning Calgary vs. Anaheim but I'm sorry, we just don't feel that way about you. Not yet at least. It's probably similar to how I want to imagine Anaheim is a rival to Nashville but Nash is beating us 3-0 in playoff series so they probably don't respect us as a rival either.

Rivalries need to go back and forth. LA and SJ had something going that might not be completely dead yet. LA and Chicago too.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Went to a Preds/Stars game in February and I was suprised with how rough it already is. Throw in a Playoff matchup and I think it could jump start it.

Nashville/Dallas games for the past 6-7 years have been brutal. I think it started with the Modano/Tootoo/Robidas incidents. It's always been chippy even before they were division foes. There is real dislike when they play each other which is funny to me being there has never really been any real cause for a rivarly.

I could see a playoff series between the two being Ducks/Preds level nasty though if it ever happens. I think with the Stars, it could become Anaheim/Chicago level hate for Nashville fans.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
Refs vs. The losing team

Edit: Post below wins for better accuracy

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Panarin gels with Columbus and their young core takes a step forward to become more of a threat to Pittsburgh then that rivalry could really take off

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Without the brawling, I just don't see the regular season rivalries ever been as intense as they once were.
If teams starting playing multiple times in the playoffs in a short span, then then those rivalries will really heat up.
I think the Leafs have the best change of a good rivalry with many teams, cause non Leaf/Toronto fans in Canada for some reason hate Toronto. So a Ottawa, Montreal and the little sister in Buffalo might be good rivalries.
Of course Edmonton and Calgary if they become contenders.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
One might surmise that Jackets-Pens could work, largely because some Pens fans get furious any time you even suggest the possibility. :)

Pens fans will never admit it, but you ask the players and it's pretty obvious there's a rivalry. The teams just straight up do not like each other.

Once we best Pittsburgh in a playoff series things will truly ignite.

Oh, I admit it. I ****ing hate the Jackets, in spite of many players whose games I appreciate on the team. Good call on winning a series though...that would be untenable, but it's a real possibility given how tough of an out Columbus has typically been.

Deep down, every Pens fan will hate you guys for at least as long as you have Dubinsky. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad