OT: The New Thread About Nuthin

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
I hear what you are saying...But most of those names have really nothing to do with obvious Heavy Metal references that nearly the entire film was based on...

From "Smell the Glove" to spandex complete with a cucumber, to the Font of Spinal Tap, to the Stage shows of Stonehenge with druid motif and Rock and Roll Creation the cocoons and dry ice smoke...exploding drummers...That was ALL directed at Heavy Metal.

And I would say British Heavy Metal specifically.

I took a quick look at Wikiepedia - not the best source I know - and apparently Rob Reiner watched Judas Priest when he was putting the movie together. No question that Tap is a British metal band during the time of the movie (although they started as the Thamesmen in the 1960s and probably played something akin to early Pink Floyd to my ears). A bunch of the incidents are from other sources though. Tom Petty apparently had a video where he walked through a bunch of the doors to get to the stage and ended up on a tennis court. There was another group that had a succession of drummers. The band dates back to 1979 it seems and took a few years to develop the movie.

Reactions: JimEIV

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I took a quick look at Wikiepedia - not the best source I know - and apparently Rob Reiner watched Judas Priest when he was putting the movie together. No question that Tap is a British metal band during the time of the movie (although they started as the Thamesmen in the 1960s and probably played something akin to early Pink Floyd to my ears). A bunch of the incidents are from other sources though. Tom Petty apparently had a video where he walked through a bunch of the doors to get to the stage and ended up on a tennis court. There was another group that had a succession of drummers. The band dates back to 1979 it seems and took a few years to develop the movie.
its a "fusion" of mockery!

Reactions: JimEIV and My3Sons

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
ya, dont know what to think about this…how do you do this without f***ing it up?

https://thestudioexec.com/spinal-tap-2-due-for-release-in-2022/

coming 2 america was not good
^this article^ is from January 2020?

Caddyshack 2 blah
Dumb and Dumber To blah
Jaws 2 blah
etc etc etc
I don't want a part 2, it will disappoint for sure
I don't see anything at IMDB for Michael McKean (they list his future projects, he has 2 upcoming films but no Spinaltap listed)

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
hey I found this article,
The Origins of Spinal Tap: Watch the 20 Minute Short Film Created to Pitch the Classic Mockumentary | Open Culture
it explains the origin of SpinalTap from a TV show that Rob Reiner was on or produced, its Spinaltap but a little different, they didn't impress enough to catch on though, its from 1979
two videos the Final Tour parts 1 and 2
oh I found them together its 20 minutes of the ORIGINAL SPINAL TAP !!!!
Some of these scenes were used in the movie

this is from 1979/80 four years before the movie

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
The Origins of Spinal Tap: Watch the 20 Minute Short Film Created to Pitch the Classic Mockumentary | Open Culture
it explains the origin of SpinalTap from a TV show that Rob Reiner was on or produced, its Spinaltap but a little different, they didn't impress enough to catch on though, its from 1979

It’s interesting how many of the jokes they recycled.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

"SPINE TAPE" :biglaugh:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Horse shit.

Eddie thought himself a serious actor. Dude wanted to make Beverley Hills Cop 3 a serious action movie.

Comics have a shelf life. Look at Will Ferrell... Their shtick gets old or they literally get old and have to take on family comedy roles.
Well that's the thing Eddie didn't have a shtick... speaking purely about his stand-up. His jokes and style spanned a huge spectrum from impersonations to story telling to straight up gutter jokes.

His film career was a little more shticky and it got more outlandish as time went on but even there I think you have a pretty wide range..."48 Hrs" was hardly a comedy at all. Golden Child was different from anything else he did too. Trading Places was just a pure 80's style comedy maybe my favorite... as the 80's came to end he got real schticky and it only got worse as time went on...

I think it got worse not cause he "wanted to be a serious actor". He achieved that in the 80's...he achieved everything before he succumbed to "Corporate".... distribution and maximizing returns... appeal to the widest audiences, market driven production...I think probably at some point Eddie became more comfortable in a board room meeting than on a club stage...and with that, protecting your wide audience appeal and market share comes the Politically Correct nonsense. It's all about staying out of the mobs crosshairs to protect your market share... I'm sure he doesn't give two ducks about any social justice...

That's what I think happened

Reactions: britdevil

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
A man who wants to appeal to the widest audiences does not write Vampire in Brooklyn and get god damn Wes Craven to direct. If he did become comfortable in a board room, he was shit at it. Norbit, Pluto Nash, Nutty Professor. Oh my god, horrible. His ego was out of control in the early 90's, famously hard to work with and ended up bombing his own career due to his on self inflated importance.

Bowfinger in '99 was fantastic. But you can thank Steve Martin for that. The movie star Eddie plays in that film was probably a little too self aware at that point. This was after Mulan and right around Shrek, so he had probably realised at that point that he was well past his sell by date as a lead.

I loved 80's Eddie, Trading Places is my favourite movie from the era too. Eddie became what he is, thanks to Eddie.

Still, with $200mill in the bank I doubt he gives one solitary shit how he's perceived.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I say all this as a HUGE Eddie fan. I went to the cinema, on opening night, for both Pluto Nash and I Spy. I kept telling myself, he's back, this will prove it!

Yikes.

I walked out of Norbit, first and last time I have ever done that...

Reactions: JimEIV

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Still, with $200mill in the bank I doubt he gives one solitary shit how he's perceived.

i'm sure that's true. i used to occasionally pass his house commuting into englewood cliffs back in the day, it's a f***ing mansion

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
every time I turn on the TV now I see Chucky! well at least I'm getting a break from seeing Dave Grohl all the time!
photo-1602306081673-f26c56e0c0c8

I watched the first episode of the new show and thought it was quite good, if you're a Chucky fan definitely check it out

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I tell my wife all the time that I am going grow my hair long again...

It bothers her and the fact it bothers her gives me enjoyment...she likes to believe that she tamed me from when we first met...yeah ok

Some sort of Samson and Delilah fetish I suppose... speaking of Samson...before Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson was in Samson. Featured in the movie Incubus.

A little Blue Oyster Cult sounding I think.

Vise-Versa

Last edited:
Reactions: Satans Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad