OT: The New Sidebar

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The wideness thing is bugging me. I can't really remember what it looked like before though. It just seems so cramped yet spread out at the same time, taking the worst of both somehow.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If HF is looking to drive more readership of their content they should work on providing better, accurate content. The visibility and awareness of the content is not the issue. Here is a great example of a recent article posted by a HFB Partner in the main boards' thread titled 5 players ready to become superstars:

"Gabriel Landeskog is proving to be the exact kind of leader management hoped he would be. He posted a career best in goals (26) and points (65) last season, and has shown a lot of chemistry with Paul Stastny and Ryan O’Reilly, both of whom are returning to the team."

http://twopadstack.net/5-young-players-ready-become-nhl-superstars/

Does anyone see anything blatantly wrong with this excerpt that could have been corrected with a few minutes of research? I won't get into the Canucks related articles that are always a mess of inaccuracy and false opinions.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
If HF is looking to drive more readership of their content they should work on providing better, accurate content. The visibility and awareness of the content is not the issue. Here is a great example of a recent article posted by a HFB Partner in the main boards' thread titled 5 players ready to become superstars:

"Gabriel Landeskog is proving to be the exact kind of leader management hoped he would be. He posted a career best in goals (26) and points (65) last season, and has shown a lot of chemistry with Paul Stastny and Ryan O’Reilly, both of whom are returning to the team."

http://twopadstack.net/5-young-players-ready-become-nhl-superstars/

Does anyone see anything blatantly wrong with this excerpt that could have been corrected with a few minutes of research? I won't get into the Canucks related articles that are always a mess of inaccuracy and false opinions.

A few minutes? More like a couple of seconds.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+team+does+paul+stastny+play+for

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Are we allowed to tell people how to kill it?, or is that against HF rules?

Bean in Charge

Dec 24, 2007
Vancouver, BC
It is absolutely awful. It will not contribute to a positive viewing experience or drive traffic. You don't make your website more intrusive to increase page loads... that's an incredibly outdated and silly practice. This isn't Angelfire in 1994.

If they really want to improve user experience, you have to make it so that it flows with the style of the webpage. You need to make the content engaging so that I want to click on it. Right now I want to leave the forums when I see it.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I dislike change.

I sort of like how HF forums hasn't changed their forum structure in like 10 years! It works and we are all used to it.

Some forums (cough RFD cough) seem to continually want to change their forums, but it rarely seems to be in the favour of the users or for efficiency purposes. This change reminds me of that. Its just really busy with no added benefit for everyday users.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
It seems like a "good idea fairy" kind of idea that was then poorly executed. It needs to fit with the style of the page, provide content that relates to the board it is on and the content needs to be of a quality that it engages readers to actually want to read it. But other than that, they did a great job :shakehead.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Every time I see it I thinkvit is a bad pop-up ad

Speaking of which, I've been running into this dumb pop up ad 3/4 of the time I visit now for the past couple weeks.

It makes me not want to visit the site. I don't mind the ads, I understand business, but stop the ads from popping up every damn time my mouse flies over the ad.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I just liked the way the site looked before; simple, quick, easy to use.

The sidebar just makes everything look complicated, cramped and ugly beyond belief.

LuongosTirePump

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Honestly, the idea is good, but the execution is beyond poor. It's way too big, probably won't be dynamic enough to be useful for each user, and is actually quite hideous.

This whole design of this site could use a reset.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Honestly, the idea is good, but the execution is beyond poor. It's way too big, probably won't be dynamic enough to be useful for each user, and is actually quite hideous.

This whole design of this site could use a reset.

Site is OK, old school but functional.

The side bar OTOH is woeful, it looks like something from early era of the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad