OT: The New Sidebar

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Ok so obviously you've all noticed our new addition to the website. This thread will be here to answer questions and report glitches on the sidebar.

To answer a few off the bat:

Where does it show up?: As far as I know, it only shows up (or primarily shows up) when you're on a specific board, but not when you are viewing a thread. It will not show up when you write a post. It will show up if you try to make a new thread though (it's showing up for me right now as I write this). It also doesn't show up on the main page (www.hfboards.com or hfboards.mandatory.com)

What does it show?: When fully active, it should show a) a list of the most recent articles created on Hockey's Future, b) the most recent tweets from HF's official twitter account (mostly links to newly created articles which, yes, seems redundant), and c) a list of the most recently active discussion threads on HFBoards.

Where does the Latest Discussion thread list link to?: I'm not positive exactly what does and doesn't get linked to. I know for sure that it should link to all the major Hockey discussion boards like NHL talk, Prospects, Business of Hockey, Fantasy Hockey, etc. It also for 100% sure links to team board threads, including maybe potentially this one. It could potentially also link to the Page 2 stuff like the Lounge. I'm not positive yet.

But at least because of the team board links, BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN VISITING LINKS FROM THE SIDEBAR. You might see a thread that looks inflammatory to the Canucks and riles you up, but note where the thread is located when you go there. Because if it's on a team board and you respond harshly to the posts you find, you could end up receiving a warning/infraction for trolling even if you had no idea you were on another team board and not the main board.

Any questions that have been answered will be added to the OP.

Last edited:

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That thing is huge, I wish there was a way to make it less massive. I understand the desire to drive traffic (though I feel like I would read the articles more if they had a better Canucks related writing team) but that sidebar is way too large and breaks up the flow of the page.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Since it disappears as soon as a link is clicked on I for one see no problem with it.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Thoughts off the bat

1. Having the articles listed and then the twitter underneath is redundant. The twitter is basically just linking to the articles as well.

2. I don't understand why the sidebar has to appear on every subforum, but it wouldn't be a disturbance if there was at least a button you could click to minimize it like on the main page. (see image below)

IIYkhVl.png

3. Showing all the latest threads does nothing to drive traffic to the article site, and most people won't care about 90% of the threads listed there.

4. It takes up way too much space, which makes its poor design stand out even more. No offense, but no one wants to stare at a big eye-sore, it makes using the site less enjoyable.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A suggestion would be to make it smaller, make it fit the look of the page better, and have it direct you to articles based on the forum/subforum you are browsing instead of to all articles.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
We (the mods) are looking to see if theres a way to give feedback directly to the owners of the website(Crave). Will keep you posted on that.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It should definitely be targeted to the board that the user is viewing it from. I really don't give a damn about Gormley, Gaudreau, Kapanen and Florentino (who?). Also, at least 90% of the Canucks related articles on here are garbage and most of them seem very lazy and spiteful as if the writer were a fan of another team who decided to write an inflammatory piece to get a rise out of us.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I feel like the general width of most pages has changed too. The posts seem to go right to the edge no matter what I do with my browser.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Wow, terrible.

>want to increase traffic
>use method that will make people hate it even more
>ever

Exactly.

Talk about not knowing who your target users are....people go to the Canucks board to read about the Canucks - not to get annoyed by articles that have nothing to do with the Canucks.

Terrible

looseneditforyou

Apr 30, 2011
If they want people to read their articles, maybe someone should proofread them for grammar and sentence structure. Some of them are hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad