the new KHL line

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Temmu Hartikanen isn't the guy you want on that line.

That line will need someone with some finish to see the full potential.

It has enough hustle and defensive responsibility on it as is.

They need a trigger man, and believe it or not, David Clarkson would be a much better fit.

Petri isn't the fastest skater, but he handles the puck well and puts it in the right places due to his high IQ and creativity. A player like David Clarkson, who can finish off the wing would benefit quite well.

mavezee

Jul 5, 2014
Temmu Hartikanen isn't the guy you want on that line.

They need a trigger man, and believe it or not, David Clarkson would be a much better fit.

Petri isn't the fastest skater, but he handles the puck well and puts it in the right places due to his high IQ and creativity. A player like David Clarkson, who can finish off the wing would benefit quite well.
As long as it is the David Clarkson of 2 years ago I might agree. Hartikainen looked fairly fast in Edmonton though.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
temmu hartikanen isn't the guy you want on that line.

They need a trigger man, and believe it or not, david clarkson would be a much better fit.

Petri isn't the fastest skater, but he handles the puck well and puts it in the right places due to his high iq and creativity. a player like david clarkson, who can finish off the wing would benefit quite well.

lolololololololololololol

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Has there been any news if Leafs plan on signing Teemu or if he will be at Leafs camp in Sept or still under contract in the KHL?

Did he get QO from Toronto and is he even Leafs property still?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
lolololololololololololol

Solid contribution to this thread.

The simple fact is Clarkson has proven he can finish. He has both a nose for the net and a shot. Thats all he needs to pot some goals with a good playmaker like Petri.

I for one am not writing Clarkson off after one year, especially knowing the difficulties he had both on and off the ice last season.

If he performs poorly this season then he may have to be moved into a smaller market.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The simple fact is Clarkson has proven he can finish. He has both a nose for the net and a shot. Thats all he needs to pot some goals with a good playmaker like Petri.

I for one am not writing Clarkson off after one year, especially knowing the difficulties he had both on and off the ice last season.

If he performs poorly this season then he may have to be moved into a smaller market.

Your likely to be right Chuck because its likely Komarov, Kontiola and Clarkson are currently all penciled for the 3rd line.

I personally would like to see Wee Willie Nylander line-up on the KK Fin line in camp and see if they have chemistry as 3 Euros. Willie is a finisher that might benefit for the playmaking of Kontiola and puck pursuit and recovery forechecking ability of Komarov.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Your likely to be right Chuck because its likely Komarov, Kontiola and Clarkson are currently all penciled for the 3rd line.

I personally would like to see Wee Willie Nylander line-up on the KK Fin line in camp and see if they have chemistry as 3 Euros. Willie is a finisher that might benefit for the playmaking of Kontiola and puck pursuit and recovery forechecking ability of Komarov.

I would love to see Willie there as well, he would be an ideal fit there.

But I think we will see managment take their time with him. Shanahan wants to continue with the Leafs positive internal development and Willie should get some more professional experience before playing in the show.

He should get some AHL experience and learn the rigours of playing on the road and how to take care of your body through an intense schedule.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA

I agree with not writing Clarkson off. He had a god awful season that if his contract was smaller he'd be done. That said a lot of his problems seemed to be with line mates and the teams system. Being paired with Bolland and MayRay didn't fit as neither of those guys are passers. Kadri and Lupul wasn't much better as he plays a slower procession game vs the uptempo rush rush rush that they are capable of (probably why they brought Frattin back and rumoured to have been targeting Michalek, two guys that are tough to play against and have the speed to keep up.

I'm not going to say I know much about Petri, I do have pro Canadian/North American beliefs in player acquisition. That said as a depth guy and with the numbers in the AHL for the few seasons he spent there plus his play on the world stage he seems to be a fairly safe player to have and will likely give some degree of success. If he can set up Clarkson like his fellow fins then we actually are a better team than last year with 3 solid lines.

The Kessel line is the most feared pure Offense line in hockey. They are so fast and hard to defend against. Kadri and Lupul are very skilled and play to their best when they get physical. With energy generators like Frattin and Komorov and a successful Clarkson that may be a more frequent occurrence. That third line has energy and wingers that pressure the point. Komorov has some respectable speed and I'm hearing Petri is pretty fast himself and very good in his own end. All in all if we can get someone on D to throw a big hit or fight (which would get Orr going if he's still on the roster) we could be a better team. Said it last year this teams Chemistry up front will take them far, with Bernier in net and further tweaking on D, this team could surprise us next year, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

MapleLeaf4ever

Feb 9, 2013
GTA
I would love to see Willie there as well, he would be an ideal fit there.

But I think we will see managment take their time with him. Shanahan wants to continue with the Leafs positive internal development and Willie should get some more professional experience before playing in the show.

He should get some AHL experience and learn the rigours of playing on the road and how to take care of your body through an intense schedule.

I can see Nylander spending the first 20 or so games in the minors. The current management team has been huge on players earning the jersey and I don't see Shanny changing that (Rielly was an exception due to his age and talent). He'll also likely get some time out on the wing with Kadri and Lupul bit mostly will prob play on the 4th with Holland or just in the marlies to get some better minutes

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Given his contract and status, I think Clarkson starts the season on the 2nd line with Kadri and Lupul again.

However, I do think that he will eventually be moved down to a line with Komarov.

I personally wouldn`t be surprised to see Kontiola tried out on the wing with Kadri - has he not played wing quite a bit? I heard that he has good experience on the wing. Might not be a bad option. If not, then probably Frattin

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I agree with not writing Clarkson off. He had a god awful season that if his contract was smaller he'd be done. That said a lot of his problems seemed to be with line mates and the teams system.

No, Clarkson had problems because he can't skate, can't pass, can't hit, and doesn't seem interested in doing much of anything besides taking terrible bad angle shots and getting suspended.

Given his contract and status, I think Clarkson starts the season on the 2nd line with Kadri and Lupul again.

However, I do think that he will eventually be moved down to a line with Komarov.

I personally wouldn`t be surprised to see Kontiola tried out on the wing with Kadri - has he not played wing quite a bit? I heard that he has good experience on the wing. Might not be a bad option. If not, then probably Frattin

I hope for once this is the season where Kadri is given productive and reliable linemates instead of Colton ****ing Orr. I hope Kontiola and Santorelli get a shot, which seems likely considering Holland should get one of the bottom line C spots.

Komarov and Kontiola won't necessarily have chemistry just because they're both Finnish and played in the KHL. A line with Komarov and Clarkson on the wings is probably never going to score no matter who's in the middle, so they may as well put whichever C performs worst there (sorry Holland)...

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Lol. Colton Orr played about 29 minutes with Kadri over the entire season. To put this in perspective, David Broll who had barely a cup of tea with the big club played about 34 minutes with Kadri.

I know it jumps out at you when you are watching, because, indeed Orr has no place being on the ice with Kadri unless there was a situation that required that. Coach sending a message to either the other team, or Kadri depending on the situation.

Check this stat page...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1289&withagainst=true&season=2013-14&sit=5v5

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
29:00 is 29 minutes too many. It was 62 minutes out of 620 the year before.

Also, the fact that Broll had another 30 minutes doesn't really help the argument... point is I hope Kadri gets consistent good linemates like Bozak always does.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Been advocating Komarov - Kontiola - Clarkson for a while... allows us a some-what responsible 2-way line. Best bet to go against top lines at this point in time (which is kind of sad).

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
29:00 is 29 minutes too many. It was 62 minutes out of 620 the year before.

Also, the fact that Broll had another 30 minutes doesn't really help the argument... point is I hope Kadri gets consistent good linemates like Bozak always does.

You realize that Kadri played about 1300 minutes the whole season, right?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Has there been any news if Leafs plan on signing Teemu or if he will be at Leafs camp in Sept or still under contract in the KHL?

Did he get QO from Toronto and is he even Leafs property still?

Last I checked, his KHL deal expires after this (14-15) season. The Leafs should own his NHL rights, as Edmonton gave him a QO before he went to Russia, meaning his is Toronto 'property' for another 3 years (at which point he'll be a ufa at 27).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad