The "New" Core

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Whatever happened to Nuge. Seriously that guy was awesome his rookie year AND he had a target on his back being 160lbs. All his skill (that had me out of my seat a couple times every game) seemed to evaporate.

Yeah the same thing happened to Hall last year. Had a bad year and that's it, now we'd be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him.

:sarcasm:

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Like people have said, Hall, Eberle, Schultz, RNH couldn't even win at the AHL level lmao. The core is rotten!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Whatever happened to Nuge. Seriously that guy was awesome his rookie year AND he had a target on his back being 160lbs. All his skill (that had me out of my seat a couple times every game) seemed to evaporate.

He talked about it. He didn't play defense much in his rookie year. Now he's absolutely committed to playing a defensive game - so much so that he actually cheats a bit towards defense. It helps the team win overall IMO, but his points suffer.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
My absolute guaranteed core: McDavid.

My probably core: McDavid, Hall, Nurse, Draisaitl.

Anyone can go at any time for the right return, but I'd like to hang on to these four players.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
Gryba is a UFA so I'd trade him in a heartbeat but nobody will be giving anything up for him while he's injured.

Why trade Gryba before you see if he's willing to stay? He's not a huge liability in his own end (even +/- on the year) and he's a big body and stands up for his teammates. There's no Oilers defenseman who can fill that role on the third pairing. Keep him if it's feasible.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Why trade Gryba before you see if he's willing to stay? He's not a huge liability in his own end (even +/- on the year) and he's a big body and stands up for his teammates. There's no Oilers defenseman who can fill that role on the third pairing. Keep him if it's feasible.
If they trade him they have already discussed him staying.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Klefbom is the epitome of a guy who in the eyes of fans and media is getting better and better every day without actually playing.
Hilarious isn't it. A guy with barely 100 NHL games, who has now had two very long (and very suspicious) injuries is a member of the "core".
Virtually untouchable I tell ya :rolleyes:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Hilarious isn't it. A guy with barely 100 NHL games, who has now had two very long (and very suspicious) injuries is a member of the "core".
Virtually untouchable I tell ya :rolleyes:

It's an inverse case of the "ugly person surrounded by pretty people to look better". Klefbom looks better because everyone else is so bad. Not to say that he isn't good but if the right price come along...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I dont like the idea of a core. It should be a team concept.

Having said that I will play along.

I believe you need at least two elite level forwards that each can drive a line solo. Ala Kane and Toews.

For me thats McDavid and Hall. Those are my two must haves up front.

Second tier in order of importance: Leon, RNH, Poo, and Ebs. All guys I like but only Leon is a can't touch "core" guy.

Bottom 6 needs a polarizing figure and thats Hendricks. He is a core player Imo.

By default on defense Sekera is a core piece and deserves to be. Klefbom and Nurse are both core pieces but we are stacked on the left side so a trade of equal value for a righty would be tough but understandable.

Guys that need to be moved this year to improve the team: Schultz and Yak. Niether fits in here and need a change of scenery for all involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad