The "New" Core

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Really? We have players like Gryba, Davidson, Sekera and Hendricks that are bread and butter players that any decent roster has, that eat minutes, make simple plays, are tough, and put effort in, and you want to shop them too? So we can start from scratch there too?

Yes. Shopping doesnt mean you are looking to replae these guys with crappy picks or unknown players, it means putting their names out to hear offers.

Sekera has a no move, and if Davidson can bring back a return of a 3/4 RHD.... ya i would move him we have lts of LHD to take up the last pairing

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Really? We have players like Gryba, Davidson, Sekera and Hendricks that are bread and butter players that any decent roster has, that eat minutes, make simple plays, are tough, and put effort in, and you want to shop them too? So we can start from scratch there too?

Gryba is a UFA so I'd trade him in a heartbeat but nobody will be giving anything up for him while he's injured. Davidson, Sekera and Hendricks are fine for what they are but I'd trade any of them if that's what it took to make a package for something better than any of them.

I dont think there is anybody on this team I wouldnt trade to make it better, including McDavid but that would have to be a hell of a return.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Let's get real. The idea that the Oilers will both find takers for their big ticket players and actually get better as a result is hopelessly naive. Mostly Chia will be looking to ditch impending UFAs and bad contracts in the short term. Maybe we see Yakupov and Schultz dealt. Maybe we ship one out (RNH or Eberle, probably) for prospects and picks this summer and go after a bunch of UFA D and F (like-blech-Lucic). The turnover will be big, but it won't be a tear down. I expect probably five or so new faces at most. The trade pieces that have the most value right now are likely our 2016 first and Nurse, but I'd be shocked if either was moved.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
McDavid is untouchable.
Davidson you would never get enough to justify moving him.

Everyone else is available. I would not want to mover Klefbom and or Nurse but if that is required go ahead. (Klefbom is the epitome of a guy who in the eyes of fans and media is getting better and better every day without actually playing.)

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
McDavid.

Gut the rest.

Klef is untouchable? Really??

Heres how many games hes player in the last 6 seasons.

Since being drafted in 2011 he has played 230 games.

Under 40 games a year.

Since coming to North America he had played:
13-14 : 56
14-15 : 69
15-16 : 30

I think its safe to call him injury prone.

Last edited:

Gretzkyforever99

Dec 28, 2014
Great White North
McDavid
Matthews/Laine (anyone else trade the pick if the right deal is there ie. ligit right handed D)
Drai (Depending on if you get Matthews or not)

Nurse
Klef (depending how he responds after his injury setbacks)
Sekera

Talbot

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Craig Simpson was on Oilers Now saying it has come to the point where the Oilers have to trade one of RNH/Eberle/Hall. Didn't say who, but says this culture is broken.

DarkSaturn

Sep 10, 2008
Craig Simpson was on Oilers Now saying it has come to the point where the Oilers have to trade one of RNH/Eberle/Hall. Didn't say who, but says this culture is broken.

Those guys where all pretty close with Gagner. Did that move fix the culture?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

As I said in the trade thread, trading to change the culture is dumb. Trading one of your best players to change the culture is downright stupid.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse.

Dumb to trade anyone drafted where they are on an ELC. All three look to be good to great players and fit the McLellan/Chia mold.

Would hate to see Hall go, but if it means we have a better team and make the playoffs next year, I'd grudgingly accept.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom

plus whatever they get for Ebs, Hall and 1st round pick.

Or, switch RNH for Hall.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH
Nurse
Klefbom

plus whatever they get for Ebs, Hall and 1st round pick.

Or, switch RNH for Hall.

I could see RNH staying just because he's very much a McLellan type of player. He did compare RNH to Pavelski after all, and just like Pavs he could play the wing if need be. McLellan likes that three zone play that RNH brings, and he seems to prefer possession over production.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Seems to me the core is anyone who fits Todd McClellans coaching style. He obviously won't change his coaching style to fit the players they need to suit his methods.
He has proved he can coach so he is the core. Our wonder kid. Get rid of all players who don't fit his mold. Doesn't matter what Chiarelli wants Todd needs to stay and get what he wants.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
imo Draisaitl should be considered a core guy. He hasn't been the best, but he brings a lot of size and scoring ability. He's a great complement to McDavid after he polishes his game and gains some consistency. A lot of successful teams have the really talented, speedy center, along with a bigger center who plays a bit different.

Hall, Eberle and RNH should be considered expendable. I am going to guess that Nurse is not moving just because he's practically the embodiment of a Chiarelli player.

edit: I'm fine with considering Talbot a core guy too.

Drais has to be in that core. He can play all forward positions, is only 20, and really he is going to have an amazing career. He is going to get bigger; can work the rush and work a cycle. honestly he and McD are the two you dont have worries about. They fit the Chia style team.
Teams arent made with one line.

Hall i think has had enough of being in edmonton. Eberle and Nuge can go. BUT as others have said...we wont be giving them up cheap. Likely deals in summer.

Hall could probably get a good return now but wont have the components we need NOW because buyers will be keeping those contributors for the playoffs.
Trade deadline is always about the playoffs for buyers and for sellers getting rid of closing contracts.

Somebody will pick up purcell on the cheap. I dont know about anybody else that would be able to be moved for a team looking at playoffs. I keep thinking the Yak situation could end or because of his contract and low trade value you might hang on to him. I dont see yak as a cancer that needs to be cut off...he just simply isnt the player we need. There are alot of players here we dont need.

Whatever happened to Nuge. Seriously that guy was awesome his rookie year AND he had a target on his back being 160lbs. All his skill (that had me out of my seat a couple times every game) seemed to evaporate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad