Speculation: The New And Improved Goaltending Thread - All Goats Tended

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
It’s amazing to be this far in and still seeing people arguing points so they can ignore the actual issue.

It isn’t that Portillo is going back that means he’s gone. It’s that he’s the second best goalie in the system and will be turning pro the same time as the top goalie in the system. From a pure development standpoint his decision has been made. No one with a brain would opt to stay in the one of 32 places that has the one guy who is better sitting on the exact same timeline needing the exact net and minutes in the exact same AHL team.

You can keep arguing about how he just loves college. You can keep arguing about how his degree is the most important thing in the whole world. You can argue he’d be going back no matter where he was drafted. It doesn’t change the problem. The problem that only exists right here. And he can pick any other net to walk into.
That "problem" doesn't exist.

Portillo himself talked about the inevitable competition in getting to the NHL. Why would he be concerned about having to win a job from another goalie during the next few seasons? The objective is to earn it.

Neither is stuck behind a Vasi or Shesterkin. *That* would be an actual problem, where a young goalie would consider other options.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That "problem" doesn't exist.

Portillo himself talked about the inevitable competition in getting to the NHL. Why would he be concerned about having to win a job from another goalie during the next few seasons?

Neither is stuck behind a Vasi or Shesterkin. *That* would be an actual problem, where a young goalie would consider other options.
I have a feeling that Portillo's relationship with Kotyk & Bales are two bigger factors in his decision making.

You would think that Dahlin & Power would be giving him good reports of the vibes around the team.

And his only real big competition for playing time here would be Levi. That could be a positive as he might like the idea of turning pro the same time as his biggest competition. Some guys thrive on competition like that.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No one with a brain would opt to stay in the one of 32 places that has the one guy who is better sitting on the exact same timeline needing the exact net and minutes in the exact same AHL team.

Or......and now hear me out...........Portillo genuinely thinks he's better than Levi and can beat him out in the AHL and to the NHL. Which isn't exactly the most unlikely outcome there.

Besides, we know that Levi likes to truly master the level he's at before moving up. There's talk of "oh, what if Levi doesn't need the AHL"..........between Portillo and Levi........Portillo's the one with the better chance of going straight from the NCAA to the NHL in my opinion.

There is absolutely a scenario out there where Comrie and Portillo are our NHL goalies next year.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
Oh for the days of tandem goalie teams (Edwards, Sauve) where the object was for both be so f***ing good individually that it didn't matter who started what night.

Yep - I didn't like them sharing starts at first. I liked Donnie too much and thought Bob was just "cock blocking" Donnie's starts. Whatever... I got over it. I had the same feeling about that pairing when Hasek was starting - confidence that either goalie isn't going to lose that night.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Or......and now hear me out...........Portillo genuinely thinks he's better than Levi and can beat him out in the AHL and to the NHL. Which isn't exactly the most unlikely outcome there.

Besides, we know that Levi likes to truly master the level he's at before moving up. There's talk of "oh, what if Levi doesn't need the AHL"..........between Portillo and Levi........Portillo's the one with the better chance of going straight from the NCAA to the NHL in my opinion.

There is absolutely a scenario out there where Comrie and Portillo are our NHL goalies next year.

Portillo did beat Levi in the French Connection Cup playoffs... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Zman5778

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
If Portillo has so little faith in his abilities that he doesn't believe he can beat out Levi, he's not someone you want to keep around anyways.

I give Portillo about a 65% chance of signing with the Sabres after his college season is done.

Reactions: Zman5778

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
He was great at Michigan which is far more important to showing how good he is and will be.

Without question, bigger sample. I will say the talent level was extremely high at this camp. There was a day of endless one-on-one opportunities, and his tracking of the puck was just A+. That said, no real dense five-on-five makes it hard to see how he performs in traffic and tough to get a handle on rebound control — key factors for success.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If Portillo has so little faith in his abilities that he doesn't believe he can beat out Levi, he's not someone you want to keep around anyways.

I give Portillo about a 65% chance of signing with the Sabres after his college season is done.

If you are laying 2-1 that Portillo will sign with the Sabres, please let me know where I can place a wager.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Him signing would have changed some calculations, Re: Anderson, UPL, etc.

When he would have signed, he would have been the only goalie under contract. I don't think any NHL team is guaranteeing him a NHL spot out of college. However, he'd have the easiest path to the starters net in Buffalo over any other team.

Nothing would have changed if Portillo signed.

- They still would have been looking for a NHL starter
-Anderson would still be sought after as the NHL backup
-UPL was still going to be the #1 in Rochester.
-They still would have looked for a vet for Rochester.

He wasn’t an option for any of those roles.

If Portillo had signed he would have either played sparingly in the AHL as part of a 3 goalie group. Or more likely been the starter in the ECHL to ensure he played a lot. Either way his signing wouldn’t have impacted the above. At most it might have impacted the decision to sign Houser.

Portillo‘s path to being a NHL goalie is the same signing this year or next year. In order to be one of the two NHL goalies he needs to beat out two of UPL, Levi and now Comrie. A battle that is likely to play out over 3-4 seasons.

About the only thing signing now would do for him is give him a jump on Levi in adjusting to the pro game. But it won’t matter long term if Levi ultimately outplays him. It also won’t do much to help him against UPL or Comrie, who are already pros and ahead of him.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
"And, despite being 41 years old and showing woeful (and deteriorating) performance, the Buffalo Sabres decided to allocate a roster spot for another season to Craig Anderson."

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
"And, despite being 41 years old and showing woeful (and deteriorating) performance, the Buffalo Sabres decided to allocate a roster spot for another season to Craig Anderson."

giphy.gif

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I agree Portillo isn’t going to just quit because Levi is in the mix.

But there is almost no chance Portillo would be one of our NHL goalies to start next season.

Reactions: Chainshot

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
But there is almost no chance Portillo would be one of our NHL goalies to start next season.
A goalie going from the NCAA to an NHL roster in his next season must be vanishingly rare, like if ever.

Please don't tell me about Barrasso (high school) era exceptions. The team bus was a brontosaurus.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
A goalie going from the NCAA to an NHL roster in his next season must be vanishingly rare, like if ever.

Please don't tell me about Barrasso (high school) era exceptions. The team bus was a brontosaurus.
Spencer Knight just did it with the Panthers.

But, I doubt that Portillo or Levi goes that route.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Spencer Knight just did it with the Panthers.

But, I doubt that Portillo or Levi goes that route.

And struggled hard enough in year 2 that the Panthers were rumored to be looking at Craig Anderson of all people to be a possible backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad