Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
tumblr_n9ph4tCdIj1qza1qzo1_500.gifv

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Talbot for trade or Comrie in UFA

I no longer believe in Kuemper and Campbell in Buffalo, and I like Holtby less than Talbot and Comrie. Hill and Blackwood may be on the market, but they are weird. f*** Murray.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Biron was saying today that he thought Montreal should hang on to Allen. He played and works for the Sabres but you still can't get that Habs fan out of there.

So this was earlier today:

I guess UPL's agent failed to put the fear of god in Adams.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I feel like there should be a goalie chart to follow the situation.

TEAMS AND GOALIE NEEDS:

ATLANTIC
Sabres - Starter
Maple Leafs - Starter + Backup

METRO
Rangers - Backup
Flyers - Backup
Capitals - Backup

CENTRAL
Coyotes - Backup* (backup stopgap for Vejmelka?)
Blackhawks - Starter
Blues - Backup
Jets - Backup

PACIFIC
Edmonton - Starter

Available Goalies:

UFA
Campbell
Kuemper
Holtby
Halak
Comrie
Lankinen
Tokarski
Dominigue
Jones**
Greiss**

TRADE TARGETS:
Hill/Riemer - (Hill seems to be the one on the block)
Gibson/Stolarz (Not sure either are on the block as Dostal still has waiver exemption)
Brossoit**

ASSUMPTIONS:
Blackwood stays with the Devils
Talbot stays with the Wild
Kraken roll with Grubauer/Daccord until Driedger returns(may be as late as March)
Sorokin can escape Russia
Fedotov is not released
Montreal rolls with Price/Allen

Eleven goalie openings and a lot of questionable solutions. Two perceived starters and 4 teams in the market.

*let me know if i forgot any teams or goalies and I will edit(and gladly give you credit). I am positive many of you follow this more closely than I, and I am sure I missed a lot of info

**thanks for this suggestion @WhereAreTheCookies

Last edited:

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

TEAMS AND GOALIE NEEDS:

ATLANTIC
Sabres - Starter

METRO
Rangers - Backup
Flyers - Backup
Capitals - Backup

CENTRAL
Blackhawks - Starter
Blues - Backup
Jets - Backup

PACIFIC
Edmonton - Starter

Available Goalies:

UFA
Campbell
Kuemper
Holtby
Halak
Comrie
Lankinen
Tokarski
Dominigue

TRADE TARGETS:
Hill/Riemer - (Hill seems to be the one on the block)
Gibson/Stolarz (Not sure either are on the block as Dostal still has waiver exemption)

ASSUMPTIONS:
Blackwood stays with the Devils
Talbot stays with the Wild
Kraken roll with Grubauer/Daccord until Driedger returns(may be as late as March)
Sorokin can escape Russia
Montreal rolls with Price/Allen

Eleven goalie openings and 10(albeit some quite questionable) solutions. Two perceived starters and 4 teams in the market.

*let me know if i forgot any teams or goalies and I will edit(and gladly give you credit). I am positive many of you follow this more closely than I, and I am sure I missed a lot of info
I could very much see Chicago just rolling with Mrazek and re-signing Delia and Lankinen. They are in full tank mode and have to compete with Montreal and Arizona in the Bedard sweeps.

I'd also add Brossoit to the trade targets. Could see Vegas dumping him and having Logan Thompson up full time to save cap space.

Martin Jones is also a UFA. He's not good but he's a UFA. Greiss is a UFA, same story. Bernier if he's healthy could also be on the block.

Last edited:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I could very much see Chicago just rolling with Mrazek and re-signing Delia and Lankinen. They are in full tank mode and have to compete with Montreal and Arizona in the Bedard sweeps.

I'd also add Brossoit to the trade targets. Could see Vegas dumping him and having Logan Thompson up full time to save cap space.

Martin Jones is also a UFA. He's not good but he's a UFA. Greiss is a UFA, same story. Bernier if he's healthy could also be on the block.
I have a feeling Lankinen re-signs with the Hawks too, but until any UFAs are under contracts, I felt they should be listed as possible options.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I have a feeling Lankinen re-signs with the Hawks too, but until any UFAs are under contracts, I felt they should be listed as possible options.
To me Brossoit is kind of interesting. His career (albeit always as a back-up) has been up down up down like clockwork. He's scheduled for an up year based on his entire career :laugh:

Reactions: Club and Irie

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
What the market looks like at the moment (to me):

UFAs:
Kuemper
Campbell
Holtby
Comrie
Backups, reclamation projects, and assorted drek (Halak, Jones, Tokarski, etc.)

Rumored/could be available via trade:
Gibson
Talbot
Bobrovsky
Blackwood
Varlamov
Murray
One of the SJ goalies

Teams that are (or at least should be) looking to acquire a starting goalie:
Buffalo
Edmonton
Toronto
Arizona
Chicago?
Anaheim if they trade Gibson (but that would almost certainly cross off one of the teams above)

Some of these guys have or are seeking contracts beyond what Buffalo seems willing to offer, and some of the trade targets will stay put, but I don't see a reason to be pessimistic about where the Sabres will be once the goalie carousel stops.

Edit: Irie beat me to it, and we're mostly on the same page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582 and Irie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think we should be shooting for “better goalie than teams clearly tanking for the draft” as the low bar I hope but don’t trust they’ll clear.

Reactions: Royal Thunder

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

TEAMS AND GOALIE NEEDS:

ATLANTIC
Sabres - Starter

METRO
Rangers - Backup
Flyers - Backup
Capitals - Backup

CENTRAL
Blackhawks - Starter
Blues - Backup
Jets - Backup

PACIFIC
Edmonton - Starter

My thoughts on a couple of these:

Toronto -- I wonder if they roll with Kallgren or Woll as the backup to their main starter.
Flyers -- If the Fedotov situation doesn't clear up, I wonder if they go with Sandstrom
Capitals -- I wonder if they run Fuchale and/or Shepard.
Chicago -- I bet they run Mrazek and whoever else is in their system

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
What the market looks like at the moment (to me):

UFAs:
Kuemper
Campbell
Holtby
Comrie
Backups, reclamation projects, and assorted drek (Halak, Jones, Tokarski, etc.)

Rumored/could be available via trade:
Gibson
Talbot
Bobrovsky
Blackwood
Varlamov
Murray
One of the SJ goalies

Teams that are (or at least should be) looking to acquire a starting goalie:
Buffalo
Edmonton
Toronto
Arizona
Chicago?
Anaheim if they trade Gibson (but that would almost certainly cross off one of the teams above)

Some of these guys have or are seeking contracts beyond what Buffalo seems willing to offer, and some of the trade targets will stay put, but I don't see a reason to be pessimistic about where the Sabres will be once the goalie carousel stops.

Edit: Irie beat me to it, and we're mostly on the same page.
Market: FUBAR

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
My thoughts on a couple of these:

Toronto -- I wonder if they roll with Kallgren or Woll as the backup to their main starter.
Flyers -- If the Fedotov situation doesn't clear up, I wonder if they go with Sandstrom
Capitals -- I wonder if they run Fuchale and/or Shepard.
Chicago -- I bet they run Mrazek and whoever else is in their system
Flyers I could see looking for a solution from within.

Leafs have cup aspirations, I think Dubas has to bring in a proven tandem.

Caps - I am not sure. Samsonov was a bit shaky last season, but I think Holtby signs there on the cheap.

Chicago is in full tank mode, so I think you are right. The worse their goalie situation is, the better their tank.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
What was the downfall in numbers for Jones? He had quite a few (somewhat) respectable numbers in San Jose a while back

Lol. Looking at his stats his GAA goes up every single year

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
What was the downfall in numbers for Jones? He had quite a few (somewhat) respectable numbers in San Jose a while back

San Jose wasn't very good the past few seasons, and obviously the Philly defense was atrocious this past season. His number's really weren't too far off from the other goaltenders he was in tandem with. I think Dell outplayed him a fair bit one season, but the others he was comparable to his counterparts.

Reactions: Club

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Talbot seems like the ideal stopgap goalie and is known to be a great teammate. Would be kicking the tires heavily there. Gibson is high on my list but the acquisition cost is likely too high. I would be up for Blackwood as well but not sure if they want to bring him onto the Good Vibes Express™️ after his vaccine controversy ruffled some feathers in NJ.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Injuries mostly.

He had a bad injury in 2018 I want to say, and he lost his lateral game.

He's been a different player since, and he is no longer capable of making the types of saves he used to.

Reactions: Club

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

If we're reading into Lebrun's article, the most likely scenarios for the Goalie carousel are:
1) Kuemper -> DC
2) Campbell -> Edmonton
3) Murray (trade) -> Toronto

If it plays out this way, it would seem we're Holtby's best shot for a starter's role, or if he signs somewhere else we're left to explore a trade with San Jose.

While I'd prefer Campbell or Kuemper, either of those scenarios would be a substantial improvement over last year.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Holtby suffered a major injury and who knows when he’s back if he can even move the same. Doesn’t seem like a smart person to put with a 42 year old injury prone goalie even though they want to get reps for their prospect injury prone goalie. That’s a direct route to Michael Houser games. Again.

Reactions: jmelm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad