Speculation: The New And Improved Goaltending Thread - All Goats Tended

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So Talbot isn't very happy with Fleury's signing and will likely be looking for a starter role with another team, Adams needs to make a move.

Apparently Islanders do not want to trade Varlamov.

Kuemper and Campbell don't seem like an option for Adams.

Comrie or Holtby in UFA, I prefer Comrie option.

Hill or Blackwood, but I would definitely prefer Talbot.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I was ready to settle for Holtby. Even that seems wildly optimistic now.

This is musical chairs with way too many players.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's amazing to me that there aren't better goal tenders in the league.

If they can get Portillo in Roch, I'm ok with them staying put for now, though I really wanted to see Anderson upgraded - but here we are. Just the fact that Adams is trying to do something about it (drafted one, trying to make a trade) means he recognizes the issue. I was worried it was a blind spot for him.

Don't overpay now in the UFA market or via trades unless things look a little more desperate and/or you don't get Portillo in here.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The goalie market seems wild right now. You have two choice, go in guns a-blazing r sit back and wait for the dust to settle. You go in half hearted, you end up signing Braden Holtby to a 6 year contract or trading a couple of 2nds for James Reimer. Offer Kuemper and/or Campbell 3 years at a huge dollar amount, or sit back and wait. After all the commotion, you end up getting Antii Rantaa in September because Kochetckov beats him out for a roster spot.

I’m in favor of shooting your shot, and if you miss, fading into the background.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
He never does.
With that, I can definitely see Talbot being moved before the season. Guerin will soften up a bit if he ever wants to sign another FA and not destroy his locker room.
Probably has a lot on his mind with the Kaprizov situation also, so I can't blame him for being a little shitty to an agent whining to him a couple hours after you sign a 2nd goalie.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hope Kev is digging in

They could get really creative - broker a deal where another goalie with a short-term contract moves through Buffalo with retention (paid for in assets from the Wild) for Talbot. That could give Guerin the flexibility to have a full roster and a smidge left over for recalls and deadline banking purposes.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm totally jacked up for Wednesday to see the last decent available goalies sign somewhere else. After Campbell/Kuemper, there's nobody worth a damn to be excited about at any position.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kuemper and Campbell (probably for playoff teams)

Eric Comrie remains the only UFA with which I would agree. Otherwise, Adams will have to trade.

Reactions: elchud

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
They could get really creative - broker a deal where another goalie with a short-term contract moves through Buffalo with retention (paid for in assets from the Wild) for Talbot. That could give Guerin the flexibility to have a full roster and a smidge left over for recalls and deadline banking purposes.
That's probably the only way. Minny could use some walking around cash but would still need to fill out the roster. Could calm angry Bill. Adams isn't sitting on his thumbs so I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
MAYBE they'd take a gamble with Eric Comrie?
Comrie, in theory, is the same Ville Husso, only played 20 fewer games, risk, but there may be a reward. All other goalies in UFA are not interesting, they are simply not good. (Of course, this does not apply to Kuemper and Campbell)

Reactions: elchud

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Feeling the way this is trending I’d rather sign Comrie than trade for Hill. I’m going to assume any goalie who has any track record will tell us to piss off

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Feeling the way this is trending I’d rather sign Comrie than trade for Hill. I’m going to assume any goalie who has any track record will tell us to piss off
Hill can also be an extreme option, but I like the Comrie option more.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If we end up going the trade route, I expect it to be close to the start of the season.

The lack of urgency Adams has expressed might drive fans crazy, but I'm guessing he doesn't want other GMs price gauging, especially in a limited goalie market, where sellers have the leverage.

If he gives the impression that we're ok with Anderson and UPL, some team holding out in hopes that we'd pay through the nose might drop their price. I guess you have to hope those teams still exist though, and that goalies are still available

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad