The new and improved concussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=357977
Crosby returns to the ice (so I guess he's been symptom free for at least a week for that to happen). 29 games lost (and counting).

(Recent articles, I won't dig up unless folks really want 'em, include comments from Crosby's parents their son was not contemplating retirement.)

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
I just wanted to post this in here....

Today I was visiting TSN.ca and saw their mini-video player had a clip lined up to watch the Montreal Canadiens discuss hits to the head and the glass at the arenas. So...I clicked on the video, of course....I had to endure a 30 to 45 second advertisement first.

The ad was for the UFC...where in about 30 seconds I got to witness about 8 to 10 severe concussions inflicted on purpose, the entire time I was told how awesome it is.

Sort of puts things in perspective I thought. Hockey's "concussion problem" or "head shot problem" is pretty minor. But, I'd like to look into this more since sponsors are starting to get involved.

Can anyone give me a list of serious injuries suffered this year as a result of illegal hits? Specifically hits to the head resulting in concussions? Thanks.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Interesting podcast between Bill Simmons and Chris Nowinski co-founder and president of the Sports Legacy Institute concerning concussions (CTE). Not a lot about hockey, but does briefly discuss Probert and compares it to other sports.

http://es.pn/iaUi0K

billycanuck

Interesting podcast between Bill Simmons and Chris Nowinski co-founder and president of the Sports Legacy Institute concerning concussions (CTE). Not a lot about hockey, but does briefly discuss Probert and compares it to other sports.

http://es.pn/iaUi0K

Thanks for this link. I contacted Boston University's CSTE centre and I am going to donate my brain and spinal cord and I will also be part of their research.

Great stuff they are doing, look forward to helping with their research.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/03/24/spector_fehr_concussions/

Spector interviews NHLPA ED Fehr talking about concussions. Seems to be taking a slow approach to situation.

One week after the NHL's general managers had gathered in Boca Raton, Fla. to brainstorm on stemming the flow of head injuries in the game, we asked Fehr what the tangible solutions the NHLPA -- a strangely silent partner thus far in the proceedings -- could offer?

"My experience is that the only most effective way by far to get long-term, positive results, is to have the association and the league do it jointly," said Fehr, who for 26 years headed the Major League Baseball Players' Association. "To have whatever negotiations and discussions are required; to come up with programs and procedures everyone can agree with. (An agreement) everyone can buy into, everyone can have confidence in."

If it sounds like the solution won't be in the rulebook before the playoffs start next month, you're starting to get the picture.

Retail1LO*

So what does he want, to bring back rampant interference so that players don't get killed by suicide passing?

He's putting the blame in the wrong place. It's the players' responsibility to not kill each other, and when one does cross the line it's the league's responsibility to punish accordingly. As long as they let swine like Cooke get away with what they do, this problem will persist. If the problem is players hitting each other in dangerous ways, then punish them for doing it. Don't try to murder other aspects of the game in a misguided effort to stop it from happening.

This is a very appropriate post. There's lots of blame to be passed around. The equipment can certainly be improved, but what's really needed is some serious behavior modification, and some consistency from the league on disciplining players for hits to the head. The players show a real lack of respect for one another in this league. It's embarrassing. There are several players in this league whose hand I would not shake following a playoff series. I think they should get every member of the NHLPA together under one roof and let the guys look at each other in the face then try to suggest to one another, with still frames on the big screen, that they were justified in blasting one another in the head, and then provide reasoning behind it. It would never fly. I just don't know what it's going to take before this league gets it. No one can tell me you can't put an entertaining product on the ice without shots to the head.

At this point in time, the guidelines against headshots are insufficient. At the very least, the ones in place are far from being enforced. When enforced, the penalties hardly seem to fit the crime.

Recently in a couple of Hawks games, defensemen Hjalmarsson and Seabrook have taken elbows to the head. Players weren't suspended, fined, ejected, or even penalized. Not a major. Not a minor. I just do NOT understand.

Anyone hazard to create a list of the top end talent that's missed significant time in the last several years from concussions? It's amazing. It's ending careers prematurely, and depriving the fans of enjoying a lot of talented individuals. It's altering the course of hockey history...and it doesn't have to.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AsEIc4LX7sRQamOsUHSo.m1DubYF?slug=ap-duerson-brainstudy
Study: Duerson had brain damage at time of suicide
By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer May 2, 6:35 pm EDT

BOSTON (AP)—Dave Duerson, a former NFL player who committed suicide in February, had “moderately advanced†brain damage related to blows to the head, according to the researcher who made the diagnosis.

“It’s indisputable†that Duerson had chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disorder linked to repeated brain trauma, Dr. Ann McKee said Monday.

The findings were announced as part of an effort conducted by the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University’s School of Medicine. The CSTE Brain Bank has the brains of more than 70 athletes and military veterans, with football players comprising more than half of the athletes.

Duerson played safety in the NFL for 11 seasons, seven with the Chicago Bears, and was chosen for four Pro Bowls before retiring in 1993.

“Dave Duerson had classic pathology of CTE and no evidence of any other disease,†McKee said, “and he has severe involvement of all the (brain) structures that affect things like judgment, inhibition, impulse control, mood and memory.â€

The body of Duerson, who was 50, was found in Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., on Feb. 17. He left a note asking that his brain be given to the NFL’s Brain Bank. He shot himself in the chest, “presumably†to preserve his brain for study, said Chris Nowinski, co-director of the CSTE.

The other co-directors are McKee, Dr. Robert Cantu and Dr. Robert Stern.

Duerson’s case was “moderately advanced,†McKee said. “The likelihood is that if he hadn’t had the CTE, he wouldn’t have developed those symptoms that he was experiencing at the end of his life and perhaps he wouldn’t hve been compelled to end his life.â€

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...oking-at-former-nhlers-brains/article2012933/

Mirtle interviews researcher from organization that just partnered with NHL alumni association.

Q: Do you have any idea what you might find in closely examining former players' brains?
BL: A lot of times we do a study and we have a hypothesis, we have a really strong idea of what we're going to find. I'm characterizing this as more of an exploratory study. We have a pretty good idea of the factors involved in brain health. We don't know how they all interact.
Diet, exercise, taking care of yourself, stress, all of those things affect brain health. We know that head injuries are related to brain health, especially as they relate to aging. We know that genetics is related to brain health. There's now recent research showing that there are certain genes that increase the chance of getting dementia if you've had a head injury. They interact. So the risk is even greater.
This is an opportunity for us to put all of these things together in a set of high-performance athletes and analyze all of these factors together.
Q: Some of the NHL Alumni seem skeptical that head injuries are tied to developing dementia and other later issues. What do you think the study might show?
BL: As a scientist, we leave our expectations and our biases at the door. Our goal really is to get at the best version or the closest to the truth as possible. I know that there is skepticism [from some players]. There’s also groups that say there is a connection.
We try to answer the question as best we can without any kind of preconception or bias. That's why we're being very comprehensive in our testing. One hypothesis is that if you've been banged around a lot and knocked out a few times, it might affect your brain health in the future. Well, there's some evidence to support that and there's some case studies out there that are very dramatic that we've heard about.
But not everyone that gets dementia has had a head injury in their past. So we really want to get the full range of factors.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Now that all this information is available I think the league is going to have to change its rules or face legal ramnifications in the short-term future.

Is "no hits to the head" going to be on the agenda for the next GM meetings? I remember everyone saying that the Ovechkin hit on Jagr in the Olympics was one that should remain in the game.

With regard to the Lindros article, what (if anything) can/should be done to slow the game down?

These stories are pretty harrowing...and makes one really think about what the game should look like.

Thank you Lady Stanley for all the information.

Dado

It's difficult to see fighting remain in the game if all this attention on concussions is going to amount to anything.

Not making a judgement, just making an observation.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Well this year for the Bruins...it was

Savard (who has had several)
Bergeron's 3rd
Krejci's 2nd
Kampfer got one too and he has had a severe concussion before

Maybe others but I can't remember them.

Last year Sobotka had one, Savard obviously had one and I'm sure there were others.

With such a strong emphasis on "finishing checks" these are the unfortunate results. It seems inevitable that more concussions will follow for guys like Krejci and Crosby because they have the puck and are targeted. The players sometimes don't seem too interested in getting the puck. They are more interested in annihilating each other.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Well this year for the Bruins...it was

Savard (who has had several)
Bergeron's 3rd
Krejci's 2nd
Kampfer got one too and he has had a severe concussion before

Maybe others but I can't remember them.

Last year Sobotka had one, Savard obviously had one and I'm sure there were others.

With such a strong emphasis on "finishing checks" these are the unfortunate results. It seems inevitable that more concussions will follow for guys like Krejci and Crosby because they have the puck and are targeted. The players sometimes don't seem too interested in getting the puck. They are more interested in annihilating each other.

The emphasis on the big hit is glorified in advertising the game. Watch for the hit of the game. Violence in the game overall should be toned down a notch or two.

Question: When did this big emphasis on "finishing checks" begin?

I look at old NHL games and don't see it as a big part of the game. Is it a Don Cherryism? Checking someone was to separate the man from the puck but it has evolved into something entirely different. Often it is an intimidation tactic.

The other saying "willing to take a hit to make a play" who started that? Basically it's saying the player has to be willing to possibly get injured if he touches the puck. I cringe watching some of these hits. We are losing some of our best players by accepting this. Accidental is one thing but intentional is another.

I'd prefer to watch hockey without intentional head hits, without intentional checks causing heads bouncing off the glass, without intentional fighting which results in head hits or the falls with heads bouncing off the ice.

I'm curious if Boogaard's concussion played any part in his passing. RIP Teddy Bear.

Traumatic brain injury has life long consquences.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-elliott-boogaard-20110517,0,247213.column

Boogaard was a brawler on the ice but otherwise selfless and gentle enough to be described as a "teddy bear" by his sister Krysten during a fan-inspired memorial Sunday. He suffered a season-ending concussion Dec. 9, at least his fourth. He may have suffered others before awareness was raised in the hockey world about the symptoms and risks of head injuries, an educational process that's plodding along.

It's too early to speculate whether that last concussion contributed to his death. Salcer said Boogaard "was feeling good about things," [about his client who had discussed business and shared dinner with his family two days before he was discovered unconcious] and the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that Boogaard had told friends he was eager to work hard this summer and resume his career.

But Boogaard and his family wondered enough about the effects of those blows to the head to consider donating his brain to Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, whose researchers announced in March they had found evidence of degenerative disease in the brain of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad