Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think it’s quite relevant. Someone tried to “prove” that Miles is not a valuable player for the playoffs by citing that he has only two goals. By that logic, neither are Nico and Bratt since they have as many/less goals.

Wood is a role player, a valuable one when you consider the combination of elements he brings to the bottom six that this team is now lacking.
Nico and Bratt's playoff production is a concern for next April or whenever we get back in the playoffs, no doubt - but they also contribute a lot more towards getting to the playoffs than a fourth liner you guys want to stan for just because...people don't like his contract or think was slagging the team (which probably wasn't the case)?

Well when you makes up shit to create a narrative like you just did, it's easy to get confused...I suppose :dunno:

I never said he was a big "playoff player" you made that shit up. I said guys like him always score big goals. Pretty big difference.. bottom 6 players throughout playoff history have had a tendency to come up big with late period heroics and OT winners. To deny it is silly.
You could literally say that as a comment about any fourth liner in history, that's a nothingburger statement. I could say two-way gritty guys like Nico always come up big in the playoffs and be just as accurate as you were.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why are you trolling about a player on the team you root for to defend a guy not on your team? Seems really stupid and annoying. Especially since Wood can’t even hold Bratt’s jock.
We all know the anti Wood debate goes way back. I was a fan of Wood. Still like him and feel we are missing some of what he brings to the table.

As I note above, I'm arguing against the "good riddance" post. If the point was, he only scored x amount of goals, thus he stinks well, you might want to check what other players are in a similar boat before doing so.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Nico has played 17 playoff games and had two goals

Jesper Bratt has played 13 playoff games and has 1 goal

30 playoff games 3 goals...

Mies has 5
You said that Miles Wood "always" comes up with huge playoff goals.

I didn't say that about Nico Hischier or Jesper Bratt.

This whole train of thought has me giggling lmfao.

"Miles Wood always comes up with big goals."
"No he doesn't."
"Yeah well Nico doesn't either."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Clam Jensen

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm more worried about actually making the playoffs again than I am which 4th liners might score, personally.
Wood is more then just scoring goals though.

What Wood is really about is his combination of toughness and speed, the latter of which obviously contributes to his goal scoring.

That helps contribute to wins.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We all know the anti Wood debate goes way back. I was a fan of Wood. Still like him and feel we are missing some of what he brings to the table.

As I note above, I'm arguing against the "good riddance" post. If the point was, he only scored x amount of goals, thus he stinks well, you might want to check what other players are in a similar boat before doing so.
I own a Wood jersey and I’m still happy we didn’t bring him back on that contract. And while his speed is useful from time to time, most of the objective evidence points to him being not a particularly good or impactful player. His play didn’t pick up in Colorado.

Don’t think anyone ever said he wasn’t capable of using his speed to score some goals. We’ve seen him do that plenty. He only had 9 this year. How valuable is this guy when his scoring touch is that poor? It’s not as though he’s elevating his line mates’ play. He’ll probably have some years where he flirts with 20 because he finishes better. But if he doesn’t do that, his value is minimal.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

What Wood is really about is his combination of toughness and speed, the latter of which obviously contributes to his goal scoring.

His bad penalty taking and inability to play defense hurts a bunch too. He also neuters most offense his linemates have, which is fine if he’s playing with offensively challenged guys because they have little to begin with.

Wood can help you with some spectacularly good plays and harm with you some spectacularly dumb ones. If Colorado had lost the game in regulation then Wood would have been complained about as a cause of the loss with his penalty.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wood is a nice player to have in bottom 6. We do need to replace that speed and body. We weren’t paying that contract.

That’s literally it, move on
To what do you propose? Zacha maybe?

Seriously though, and I brought this up awhile ago and nobody bit, and I think it kind of relates to the Wood debate.

But would anyone here trade for Blake Coleman?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You said that Miles Wood "always" comes up with huge playoff goals.

I
Reading comprehension not a strong suit?

"Wood is the kind of payer that you need in the playoffs...those kind of guys always come up with big goals."

Obviously talking about about player types....but I am pretty sure that you knew that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His bad penalty taking and inability to play defense hurts a bunch too. He also neuters most offense his linemates have, which is fine if he’s playing with offensively challenged guys because they have little to begin with.

Wood can help you with some spectacularly good plays and harm with you some spectacularly dumb ones. If Colorado had lost the game in regulation then Wood would have been complained about as a cause of the loss with his penalty.
A hypothetical which obviously did not happen. But yeah, I'm sure a certain segment of this fan base would have relished in that.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023

Source? Or just 'trust me bro'? He has a career 47 CF%. He's a fine, totally replaceable 4th liner who just got a 6 year contract into his age-34 season that the Devils absolutely should not have paid for.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
A hypothetical which obviously did not happen. But yeah, I'm sure a certain segment of this fan base would have relished in that.
:lol: I think most people in this conversation wouldn’t have cared. It’s only happening because people are now pining for Wood.

If Wood was the goat last game I doubt he is brought up here, maybe a passing mention.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Both can be true
  • We could use another speedy forward that can stretch the other team vertically and plays with an edge in our bottom six (who couldn't)
  • Wood himself takes too many penalties to be a reliable net positive on most teams and doesn't provide enough outside of his goal scoring and physicality to warrant the contract he got

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Reading comprehension not a strong suit?

"Wood is the kind of payer that you need in the playoffs...those kind of guys always come up with big goals."

Obviously talking about about player types....but I am pretty sure that you knew that.
I love when you devolve your arguments into semantics debates because you know you're just plainly incorrect. You ended the post with "I wish we could've kept him somehow." but you're now trying to argue that "I didn't mean I want HIM!!! I meant I wanted players LIKE him!!!"

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I own a Wood jersey and I’m still happy we didn’t bring him back on that contract. And while his speed is useful from time to time, most of the objective evidence points to him being not a particularly good or impactful player. His play didn’t pick up in Colorado.

Don’t think anyone ever said he wasn’t capable of using his speed to score some goals. We’ve seen him do that plenty. He only had 9 this year. How valuable is this guy when his scoring touch is that poor? It’s not as though he’s elevating his line mates’ play. He’ll probably have some years where he flirts with 20 because he finishes better. But if he doesn’t do that, his value is minimal.
All good, I understand the good and bad of Wood.

But again, I responded to "x goals in y gp's thus good riddance". Can't then fawn over some of our star players if that is your argument.

Is that me being a troll for pointing this out? I don't think so, I think it's just me having a negative bent towards poor arguments.

Source? Or just 'trust me bro'? He has a career 47 CF%. He's a fine, totally replaceable 4th liner who just got a 6 year contract into his age-34 season that the Devils absolutely should not have paid for.
So toughness and speed don't help contribute to wins? Is this something that needs a source?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
:lol: I think most people in this conversation wouldn’t have cared. It’s only happening because people are now pining for Wood.

If Wood was the goat last game I doubt he is brought up here, maybe a passing mention.
Well there is most people, and then there is "a certain segment of this fanbase".

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Crypto-boy sucks and is on a terrible contract. We’re really pining for him right now?
It's fine to not re-sign Wood but you need a replacement.

That's where Fitz struck out. Nosek did not bring anywhere near the impact that Wood did - injuries notwithstanding.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

That's where Fitz struck out. Nosek did not bring anywhere near the impact that Wood did - injuries notwithstanding.
Nosek looked good late, as did Foote. I think a Foote Nosek Lazar 4th line could be pretty good. But as you note, injuries. Foote's was probably somewhat predictable, Nosek not so much.

Interestingly we let Wood go, in part I think, because of injury and health concerns.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I love when you devolve your arguments into semantics debates because you know you're just plainly incorrect. You ended the post with "I wish we could've kept him somehow." but you're now trying to argue that "I didn't mean I want HIM!!! I meant I wanted players LIKE him!!!"
The strawmanning on this board always irks me. Saying "those types of players always come up with big goals in the playoffs" is not at all the same thing as saying "player X always come up with big goals in the playoffs".

And I'm not big on speaking for other posters, but I'm pretty sure that he is not denying that he would like Wood back and he'd probably be fine settling for a player like him since bringing him back is not possible anymore.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Well part of that is because it's not "easy" to replace a player with those combination of elements, yet we have people here who infer that it is.

Reactions: tailfins

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Yeah but the Nosek signing was pretty lauded at the time. It was unfortunate that injuries derailed his whole season. I’m not sure he even played a single fully healthy game. Ohh well.

At least Lazar was able to prove his value as a good everyday 4th liner.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
The strawmanning on this board always irks me. Saying "those types of players always come up with big goals in the playoffs" is not at all the same thing as saying "player X always come up with big goals in the playoffs".

And I'm not big on speaking for other posters, but I'm pretty sure that he is not denying that he would like Wood back and he'd probably be fine settling for a player like him since that's not possible now.
If I said: "Posters like this are infuriating. They add nothing to the discussion but use buzzwords like 'strawmanning' to talk about the forum without providing literally any input into the discussion."

Would you think I was being critical of you?

He literally ends his post by saying "I wish we could've kept him somehow". He's talking about Miles Wood and then trying to turn it into a semantics debate because he didn't realize that last night was literally the second time in his entire career he had a meaningful playoff point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad