OT: The New and Improved Baseball Thread 2023, err 2024 Edition

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm in!

I wasn't raised to like any particular team - just to hate the Yankees because my dad hated the Yankees.

Became a fan of the Orioles after they lost the ALCS in '82 and got hooked when they won the World Series in 1983.

But I've fallen away since I saw what they have done to poor Camden Yards and how they continue to have the worst owner (well, other than the Pirates) in baseball.

Started to like the Phillies when I lived there for three years, but the wife is a Tigers fan and I'm pretty much OK with joining her.

However, our favorite place to watch a game in the majors has to be in Cincinnati. Awesome ballpark in a great location, right downtown next to the hockey arena where we have seen the Cyclones play, good people, good food, not crazy expensive - and you can bring in anything you want to the game to eat and drink except beer. Plus they sell Coca-Cola products which always moves a venue much higher on the list.

We spend a lot of summer nights watching the Burlington Sock Puppets, a team in the Appalachian League. Tickets are so cheap along with the beer and concessions, free parking, great people - and they actually watch the game unlike some places. Perfect way to spend a summer night. Plus look at that logo!

1680622949536.png

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Re: Orioles...
Followed the Jays since their inception, but first true baseball interest was the 1979 Pirates - Orioles World Series.
Used to love watching Nolan Ryan dominate.
Lost interest in following baseball after the lockout following the Jays two world series wins. That was 30 years ago.
I'm curious if the pitch clock works. Games have gotten far too long. It wasn't uncommon to read box scores in a 26-team (12 NL 14 AL so 13 games on a full schedule) and see several games each day finish under 2 hours.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I became aware of MLB the year the Jays came into the league, so I adopted them as my favorite team. Baseball was my primary sport as a kid - easier to get a mitt and cleats and not worry about skates/ice/gear according to my parents - and I had family involved in it heavily on both sides of the family, including a couple of people who managed town teams, a couple who played minor league pro ball, and things like that.

I haven't really followed it much at all since the lockout in the early '90's, but I don't mind going to a minor league game with my father and son, enjoying the breeze in summer with a hot dog and a beer.

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Curious what team most fans in Buffalo root for? I got into baseball last year and followed the Jays all year because of proximity to Buffalo/being affiliated with Buffalo’s minor league team. I’ve talked to some people from Buffalo in Denver about what baseball team they follow and it sounds like there are quite a few Yankees fans as well. I’d love to support the Rockies, but not even their owners do that. :laugh::help:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Curious what team most fans in Buffalo root for? I got into baseball last year and followed the Jays all year because of proximity to Buffalo/being affiliated with Buffalo’s minor league team. I’ve talked to some people from Buffalo in Denver about what baseball team they follow and it sounds like there are quite a few Yankees fans as well. I’d love to support the Rockies, but not even their owners do that. :laugh::help:

My father grew up a Yankees fan. His uncle played for and so there was some family rooting for the Dodgers. I picked the Jays because they were new and nearby at the time ('77) and then they had a nice decade in the '80's before winning their back-to-back World Series in the early '90's. (They were also one of if not the best team in baseball when they locked out the players by record and part of why I never went back.)

Reactions: Ness

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I have a team autographed ball from the Bisons in the 90s, only MLB names I can recognize on there are Tony Womack and Tim Wakefield

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
A baseball thread on this board? Awesome. I usually go to the baseball sub but it will be nice to hang in here as well. I expect big things from the Jay's this year,. Not sure if they will win the AL East but they should be in contention for it.. Anyone but the Yanks or Sox...

As for my team.... we will be okay. Sure , losing Verlander will be a huge blow ( at least regular season wise) but our pitching is deep. I expect Hou to win the West again and go from there.

Other Division predictions

AL Central - White Sox
NL Central - Cards
NL West - Dodgers
NL East - Braves

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Tigers are 5-9. About as expected. Hope they beat the Cleveland Commanders or Cleveland Baseball Team or whatever they are called tomorrow.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Tigers are 5-9. About as expected. Hope they beat the Cleveland Commanders or Cleveland Baseball Team or whatever they are called tomorrow.
They really put in minimal effort when they finally caved to change the name, same with the Washington football team.

Reactions: Dingo44

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Are Angels any good? I see they’re 8-8, just wondering if that’s expected to get better or worse. Need a team and I like Ohtani. Have rooted for Twins and Yankees in the past, but I don’t feel any affinity towards either, really.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Are Angels any good? I see they’re 8-8, just wondering if that’s expected to get better or worse. Need a team and I like Ohtani. Have rooted for Twins and Yankees in the past, but I don’t feel any affinity towards either, really.
They wont win the AL West and they likely wont be last either.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It’s hard to not call them the Indians. And it’ll take awhile. Hell I still call it the SkyDome sometimes :laugh:

It's still the SkyDome. I really don't even know what it's called otherwise.

Though I will say I've been to 12 major league ballparks and the SkyDome is the WORST place I've been to see a game.

My wife and I LOVE Cincinatti's - the Great American Ball Park. Great location, atmosphere, seating, concessions (which aren't too crazy expensive), Coca-Cola, and you can bring in any food or beverages you want other than alcohol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad