The Never Too Early 2021 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Stillman wouldn't' bother me so much, Salmmanin, Peneli, Barr with a little luck. The only reach I would make ( at the moment this is not a year for a reach) Schmidt.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What do people think of Kostenko? I like him as a player but he doesn't seem like a Dubas type.

He can score, but needs to play in his own end Jake Gardener level defending . If we got a mid third round pick, he could be an option.

This covers most of it. He'd need to improve his defense immensely or he needs to effectively turn into another Barrie. It's tough to make it as a pure offensive defenseman these days.

I would say mid-late 3rd round is the highest he should go, and I imagine he will go somewhere in that area.

horner

May 22, 2007
Our top 6 forwards are set .
Armia and Robertson are probably going to be in with that group.

We need to start finding a different mix in the bottom 6
Size
Energy
Passion
Defensive
Players that love to hit

We have a ton of skill

Let's find those other ingredients

Reactions: Nylander88

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
65, 80, 104 for the 57th pick. Think the Rangers would ever do something like that. I'd maybe wait and see if a player we really like falls to us at 57th but if not then I wouldn't mind getting a few extra picks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
65, 80, 104 for the 57th pick. Think the Rangers would ever do something like that. I'd maybe wait and see if a player we really like falls to us at 57th but if not then I wouldn't mind getting a few extra picks.

No, they would not do that. Way too much value to move up 8 spots in that range. We'd be lucky to even get 80 TBH. It would likely have to be 65 + 104 for 57, or we have to include a sweetener to get 80.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Ville Koivunen is exactly the type of player the Leafs would take

Yeah I heavily underestimated his skill. I'm worried about his production in a poor league so I can't justify him as a late 1st/early 2nd, but he's the kind of guy where it clicks and a team looks real smart grabbing him where they do.

Definitely a bigger risk than some in this range, but he's interesting for sure.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Guessing who will be available and who the Leafs would take at 56 is next door to useless. But are there any rumours or reports about who the Leafs have interviewed? That info sometimes leaks. Thanks

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Guessing who will be available and who the Leafs would take at 56 is next door to useless. But are there any rumours or reports about who the Leafs have interviewed? That info sometimes leaks. Thanks

AFAIK, there hasn't been any ties to any players whatsoever. I'm not even convinced the Leafs are going to be keeping this pick. My money is on Dubas trading down in a similar deal to Ottawa last year unless someone drops they really love.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I could see two scenarios for the Leafs draft, based on the last two years, the Robertson scenario and the Hirvonen option. In the first, the Leafs wait to see who will slide to their second round slot, as they did with Nick Robertson. In the Hirvonen option, they play the odds and trade down to get an extra pick. Dubas does appear to play the odds quite frequently and there is little difference between the chance to make the league of a late second and an early third. Getting an extra pick may we’ll be tempting. The Leafs have shown that they are willing to do either. I have no idea which way they will go.

I doubt they will trade up, because the bank account of draft picks is already meagre and they don’t have the Kapanen-Johnson kind of depth they once did. They’re short of trade capital.

A note from last year: Future Considerations rated Hirvonen, Niemala and Villeneuve higher than the Black Book and several other sources did. This doesn’t mean FC is superior, but it may mean that their rating criteria are closer to those of the Leafs than other sources are. Of course, it also may be sheer chance. But I intend to keep an eye on this to see if the pattern holds this year.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
How come more Leaf fans are not concerned at the carnage our GM has unleashed on our future to fuel the present? Never before in Leafs history have Leafs been left with so few future picks in the entry draft.

Here is the summary of Leafs return from future drafts of 2021 & 2022.

1st - Traded to Columbus for Nick Foligno (UFA)
3rd -Traded to Los Angeles for Kyle Clifford - 2021 conditional 3rd round pick (originally second round if Clifford re-signs with Maple Leafs)
4th - Trade to San Jose - Stefan Noesen in a 3-team trade with Blue Jackets, Maple Leafs for salary retention on Nick Foligno.
7th - Traded to Boston - for 2020 seventh round pick (#212-Ryan Tverberg).

3rd - Traded to Calgary for David Rittich - goalie (UFA).
4th - Traded to Columbus for Nick Foligno - forward (UFA).
5th - Traded to Anaheim for Ben Hutton- defense (UFA).
6th - Traded to Columbus for • Riley Nash - forward (UFA).

Leafs have only 3 picks in 2021 (2nd, 5th and 6th) and 3 picks in 2022 (1st, 2nd and 7th) that have survived the purge presently. The lack of picks is going to result in Leafs prospect pool falling to the near bottom of the league if you're not making many selections.
In the last three years we've selected 27 times. That's pretty much the equivalent of 4 drafts. All while making the playoffs. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if we make 5 selections this year even though I believe our scouts and management consider this a weak draft.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Logan Mailloux renounces himself from 2021 NHL Draft - TSN.ca

I already dropped him from my top 125, but he has officially renounced himself from the 2021 NHL draft.

His message seems like his agent backtracked HARD after the Athletic released that story today. Is it coincidence he renounced himself only hours after? Doubtful. I mean, it was a mistake and he's a stupid kid. He should absolutely be punished and probably never play in the NHL, but this isn't exactly in the same ballpark as what Miller did. Definitely on my DND list, but this is something that I believe he could come back from if he proves that he's truly apologetic and makes steps to make up for what he did.

I can only imagine if an actual NHL player did this. Maybe an organization or two would actually bat an eye. Good for the 11(?) organizations that have made it clear they have him on their DND.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His message seems like his agent backtracked HARD after the Athletic released that story today. Is it coincidence he renounced himself only hours after? Doubtful. I mean, it was a mistake and he's a stupid kid. He should absolutely be punished and probably never play in the NHL, but this isn't exactly in the same ballpark as what Miller did. Definitely on my DND list, but this is something that I believe he could come back from if he proves that he's truly apologetic and makes steps to make up for what he did.

I can only imagine if an actual NHL player did this. Maybe an organization or two would actually bat an eye. Good for the 11(?) organizations that have made it clear they have him on their DND.
What did he do?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I could see two scenarios for the Leafs draft, based on the last two years, the Robertson scenario and the Hirvonen option. In the first, the Leafs wait to see who will slide to their second round slot, as they did with Nick Robertson. In the Hirvonen option, they play the odds and trade down to get an extra pick. Dubas does appear to play the odds quite frequently and there is little difference between the chance to make the league of a late second and an early third. Getting an extra pick may we’ll be tempting. The Leafs have shown that they are willing to do either. I have no idea which way they will go.

I doubt they will trade up, because the bank account of draft picks is already meagre and they don’t have the Kapanen-Johnson kind of depth they once did. They’re short of trade capital.

A note from last year: Future Considerations rated Hirvonen, Niemala and Villeneuve higher than the Black Book and several other sources did. This doesn’t mean FC is superior, but it may mean that their rating criteria are closer to those of the Leafs than other sources are. Of course, it also may be sheer chance. But I intend to keep an eye on this to see if the pattern holds this year.

Last years draft was so so stacked that it was pretty clear that making that trade the Leafs would be getting a few VERY good prospects. I had Niemela in the 1st round, and Hirvonen in the mid-30's. The issue with 2019 (and this draft) is that it was not nearly as deep with potential impact NHL'ers and when one like Robertson falls to you, you HAVE to scoop them up.

I believe this year the crop of "potential top-6/top-4 guys" cuts off around 40 so it could be just as likely there's nobody worth picking as it is having a guy like Zellweger there. SeaOfBlue definitely disagrees with me on this draft, we've talked about it a bunch, but unless someone you believe is in that top-group is available there's no reason to not trade down, similar to what the Leafs did in 2019.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Logan Mailloux renounces himself from 2021 NHL Draft - TSN.ca

I already dropped him from my top 125, but he has officially renounced himself from the 2021 NHL draft.
"I am already on a shitload of DND lists and want to renounce myself to protect my ego when no one picks me." I hope he really is apologetic and takes those steps. As bad as what he did is so long as he's sorry, takes steps to mature, and deals with actual consequences I am fine with him being taken next year.

Reactions: Morgs

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
During consensual sex in Sweden he took non-consensual pictures, then spread it around to his teammates and linked the pictures to her social media. It's all over the internet if you want to read more.
Thanks, I'm good.....dumb kid.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
"I am already on a shitload of DND lists and want to renounce myself to protect my ego when no one picks me." I hope he really is apologetic and takes those steps. As bad as what he did is so long as he's sorry, matures, and deals with actual consequences I am fine with him being taken next year.

He was already one of the largest enigmas of the draft. He played GOJHL last year and played Ettan this year. No real exposure in any kind of scouting circle, but he had major hype.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
"I am already on a shitload of DND lists and want to renounce myself to protect my ego when no one picks me." I hope he really is apologetic and takes those steps. As bad as what he did is so long as he's sorry, takes steps to mature, and deals with actual consequences I am fine with him being taken next year.
That's what he said? What an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad