Speculation: The never ending Puljujarvi to MTL saga (Eklund Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
From Eklund today.

I always liked Pul, but i think he has limited upside in the puck skills departement and once he will understand that, he could be decent top 6/bottom 6 complimentary shooter!

The emergence of Suzuki to Center opens up a RW spot and i think he could be a great fit.

What would the Oilers considere?
I thought for a long time Byron + 2nd would make alot of sense for both parties, but Byron just got injured...

Talked to a source this morning who informed me that Jesse Puljujärvi would really love to play for the Canadiens. The Habs already have a great number of Finns and the city appeals to him greatly. The Habs are also facing some serious injury issues currently and the stars may indeed be aligning..."

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
puck skills? he lacks awareness
Lets agree to disagree on this one. My unpopular opinion is that Puljujarvi actually has a pretty good hockey IQ, processes the game pretty fast, but he doesn't have the hands and puck skills to follow up with it.
1) What saga? I think Puljujarvi was vaguely connected to Montreal once by a reputable source.

2) Eklund? Its more likely it doesn't happen if he reports it.

Saga as a reference to how many thread we had on HFboards about Puljujarvi to Montreal.

about Eklund, he didn't say he was coming here, he said he had reports that Jesse is Highly interested in Montreal, he doesn't have any leverage tho. But if it's true and Bergevin was interrested, he might be able to make it happen since the player shows interest.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Lets agree to disagree on this one. My unpopular opinion is that Puljujarvi actually has a pretty good hockey IQ, processes the game pretty fast, but he doesn't have the hands and puck skills to follow up with it.

he didn't have that problem in the WJC when he was playing with Aho and Laine

he has all the tools - just missing the tool box.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
he didn't have that problem in the WJC when he was playing with Aho and Laine

he has all the tools - just missing the tool box.

Once again nothing wrong with having different opinion. He had great chemistry with the both of them and played the shooter role. you can see even at the WJC that he has awkward puck skills, he has even less time in the NHL, hence why to me he gets exposed. he's still young but he got the embrace the complimentary Shooter role and i think he could have a good career.

Reactions: Fixxer

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the Oilers have any interest in Lehkonen or Byron + pick, sign me up

I like Lekhonen and would consider it, even though he can’t score to save his life. He’d be good in a Tippett system. Money is hard for us though so maybe we send Manning and a late pick back and you send... I dunno, Hudon? McCarron?

Not overly interested in Byron. He’s been a good player but he’s too expensive for us and having a hard time this year.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Oilers have lots of interest in Habs 1st round pick

And Habs have a lot of interest in keeping their first since the draft is in Montreal

I like Lekhonen and would consider it, even though he can’t score to save his life. He’d be good in a Tippett system. Money is hard for us though so maybe we send Manning and a late pick back and you send... I dunno, Hudon? McCarron?

Not overly interested in Byron. He’s been a good player but he’s too expensive for us and having a hard time this year.

I don’t know about Lehkonen, aside from the fact that he can’t score, he does everything else very well. Excellent forechecker, good stick, great defensive awareness. It’s a hard pill to swallow for a guy we don’t know whether or not he can be a regular in the NHL.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
JP doesn’t fetch anything close to a 1st round pick. They’d do well to be a mid/late 2nd for him.
Don't think the guy was serious.
There was a rumor re a 2022 1st from DET but 2nd+prospect is all we can expect as a return.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And Habs have a lot of interest in keeping their first since the draft is in Montreal

I don’t know about Lehkonen, aside from the fact that he can’t score, he does everything else very well. Excellent forechecker, good stick, great defensive awareness. It’s a hard pill to swallow for a guy we don’t know whether or not he can be a regular in the NHL.

the fact that no Habs fan is jumping up and down to do a Lekhonen/Puljujarvi swap is exactly why I’d consider it. Too many Habs fans would do Byron+ for Puljujarvi right freakin now that I’m not comfortable with it. Usually when a fanbase is that willing to move on from a player with Byron’a scoring history something is seriously wrong, and he’s expensive besides.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
the fact that no Habs fan is jumping up and down to do a Lekhonen/Puljujarvi swap is exactly why I’d consider it. Too many Habs fans would do Byron+ for Puljujarvi right freakin now that I’m not comfortable with it. Usually when a fanbase is that willing to move on from a player with Byron’a scoring history something is seriously wrong, and he’s expensive besides.

I think it has to do with Byron not having a role anymore with the Habs. We have a logjam at LW with Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen, Byron and Cousins. That’s a lot of capable NHL LW and obviously Byron being the oldest is the sole reason why people are more inclined to let him go.

Tatar would be another player available once Drouin is back from his surgery. He would cost a lot more than Byron, though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think it has to do with Byron not having a role anymore with the Habs. We have a logjam at LW with Tatar, Drouin, Domi, Lehkonen, Byron and Cousins. That’s a lot of capable NHL LW and obviously Byron being the oldest is the sole reason why people are more inclined to let him go.

Tatar would be another player available once Drouin is back from his surgery. He would cost a lot more than Byron, though.

Tatar is a good player but he makes too much for us to look at him seriously as an option. We really need good third liners at decent cap hits more than anything.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

No way MTL trades Lekhonen : they want to be able to fill the roster with Finnish guys : Armia, Lekhnonen, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Juulsen, Leskinen... in order to get Aho and Laine at some point ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad