Online Series: The NETFLIX Thread (Part 2)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I started to watch Inventing Anna because Julia Garner and I thought it would be a true-crimey type thing along the lines of The Tinder Swindler but as a dramatisation rather than a documentary

But it turned out to just be pretentious rich people being really annoying

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Servent of the People, 1st episode of Ukrainian series starring President Zelensky when he was an actor in 2015

He plays a teacher selected to be.......President of Ukraine.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
of late been watching season 5 of The Last Kingdom and I watched the Adam Project which was fun, the kid did a great job playing a young Reynolds with the sass and big mouth lol

Also started season 2 of Space Force and the limited series Taboo

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I thought Big Mouth was pretty crazy at times but the spin-off Human Resources has it beat easily !

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Watched Metal Lords yesterday. It was a fun movie to watch some kids live out their metal fantasies. nothing amazing by any means but an enjoyable watch.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Netflix hits a speed bump.

Talk now of eliminating password sharing and including ads. The latter idea might not be as bad as it seems, they might just do it for a certain new budget segment that prefers to pay less.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I remember reading about Netflix clamping down on password sharing last year, so it's something that they seemingly already began doing. Maybe that even had a little bit to do with the drop in subscribers, since people couldn't justify paying for subscriptions if family members couldn't benefit, as well. Clamping down on it even more seems like a kneejerk reaction.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I remember reading about Netflix clamping down on password sharing last year, so it's something that they seemingly already began doing. Maybe that even had a little bit to do with the drop in subscribers, since people couldn't justify paying for subscriptions if family members couldn't benefit, as well. Clamping down on it even more seems like a kneejerk reaction.
Need to figure out what makes financial sense moving forward. There’s a price point that makes sense if they limit access to 1 household IP address at a time.
Plus the increase in competition that people have to decide which service they really need or want.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The sharing your Netflix password for a small fee each month is something they added in the last month or two I believe.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The sharing your Netflix password for a small fee each month is something they added in the last month or two I believe.

I hadn't heard about that. They might've gotten backlash from clamping down on the free sharing and implemented that to try to assuage people. Perhaps it didn't work.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The crash in share price has been remarkable. My belief had been that Netflix would have eventually purchased one of the major studios to up their catalogue, like Paramount or Sony. That seems unlikely now.

In fact, it's not out of the question if their valuation doesn't recover, that they become an eventual target for acquisition by one of the tech giants.

I find it pretty funny that in a pandemic that saw theatres shut down for large portions of the last 2 years and studios pull back on releases as customers preferred to sit at home and stream, that Netflix has managed to lose market value in that time, while AMC theatres has quadrupled in value.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm glad their stock crashed. Maybe now they will just focus on making good quality stuff instead of releasing 200 shows/movies a month where only 5% are worth watching.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'm glad their stock crashed. Maybe now they will just focus on making good quality stuff instead of releasing 200 shows/movies a month where only 5% are worth watching.
They’re in an interesting spot. I think cracking down on password sharing would reduce their subscriber numbers unless they cut the price. I live in a house of two and there’s zero chance we’d pay $20/month on our own to be able to watch Netflix in 4K. There are way too many other streaming options in the $5-10 range.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The crash in share price has been remarkable. My belief had been that Netflix would have eventually purchased one of the major studios to up their catalogue, like Paramount or Sony. That seems unlikely now.

In fact, it's not out of the question if their valuation doesn't recover, that they become an eventual target for acquisition by one of the tech giants.

I find it pretty funny that in a pandemic that saw theatres shut down for large portions of the last 2 years and studios pull back on releases as customers preferred to sit at home and stream, that Netflix has managed to lose market value in that time, while AMC theatres has quadrupled in value.
I don’t think either Paramount or Sony can afford to buy Netflix. It’s the other way around: Netflix buys studios. There are probably less than five companies with stakes in entertainment that are bigger than Netflix, and that doesn’t necessarily mean that any of them can afford to acquire Netflix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad