Speculation: the myth of trading for dmen

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
the guys mentioned in the OP weren't as good at the time of their acquisition as they became after, there's always gambles to take at discounts but they don't always pan out

OP, if you want to look at acquiring defensemen for value look at how many top pairing guys get drafted after the 1st round. Spend lots of picks on dmen, throw it against the wall and see what sticks

Srperate but another good point... ive looked at draft results and finding number 1 dmen in the top 15 picks is rather risky compared to finding top forwards.

If i ran a team... the dman in question would need to be a monster of a prospects before i gamble a high first on him

Too often these dmen drafted high turn out to be joni pikkanen, or mike komaserek, or ryan whitney, or even jay bouwmeister. I mean... quite decent players... but not your ideal franchise guy... and honestly not tons better than many on my origional list

Finding that elite number 1 dman is very very hard... but thats mostly because there arent many of them around.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Burns was absolutely in no way, shape, or form a winger when the Sharks traded for him. He was a 26 year old top pairing RHD who was ONLY traded because he was a year away from UFA and the Wild didn’t think he’d re-sign. Some severely revisionist history in here.

I've always found it amusing that people will mock Chia for the Hall trade, then turn around and demand a star forward for their top-4 defenseman.

You do realize that people demand star forwards for their top-4 D BECAUSE of Chiarelli, right?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Srperate but another good point... ive looked at draft results and finding number 1 dmen in the top 15 picks is rather risky compared to finding top forwards.

If i ran a team... the dman in question would need to be a monster of a prospects before i gamble a high first on him

Too often these dmen drafted high turn out to be joni pikkanen, or mike komaserek, or ryan whitney, or even jay bouwmeister. I mean... quite decent players... but not your ideal franchise guy... and honestly not tons better than many on my origional list

Finding that elite number 1 dman is very very hard... but thats mostly because there arent many of them around.
the success rate for top 15 drafted dmen has actually been pretty high for the last 10 years or so, the drafting criteria seems to have changed from "big" to "is good at hockey". There's definitely examples like Komisarek and Luke Schenn who wouldn't be in the top half of drafts now, but guys like Bouwmeester and Pitkanen had some really good time in the NHL, Pitkanen was going to be a star but just got hurt too much. There's lots to like from top 15 defensemen in more recent years: Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman, Jones, Werenski, Provorov, Lindholm, Trouba, Rielly, Hamilton, Pietrangelo, OEL, Provorov, Ekblad, Ristolainen, etc. I think the league in general has starting missing less since talent started to matter more than size and guys with skating issues stopped being taken high

but, it's amazing how many top pairing dmen come out of the later rounds, and some of them take a while to turn out so the window before you have to pay them is smaller than with forwards but finding a Parayko/Slavin/Josi/etc level player with a lower pick is an amazing boost to the franchise. If I were a team looking for a high caliber defenseman that didn't need one immediately, I would be throwing lots of picks that way and taking flyers on UDFA's whenever I could

hoping that the Leafs have found one of those in Dermott

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Now here’s a controversial opinion and I want you to just hear me out on this one..... we see all these cheap deals since no one wants to pay the huge price for a top 4 d and when one becomes available at as low cost as possible, that’s the deal that’s going to get made

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

You can't find legitimate franchise centerman outside the top 10 of the draft with any sort of frequency. The only four guys who have achieved that and are still high-level players are Bergeron, Giroux, Kopitar and Getzlaf. Two of those guys were drafted almost 15 years ago, in arguably the deepest draft in hockey history and the other 2 over a decade ago (with Kopitar missing the top 10 by 1 pick). Barzal might be the exception for this generation, possibly William Karlsson also (although that 23% shooting percentage repeatability is questionable). Wingers are similar to D, where elite ones can often be found outside the top 10 (Benn, Gaudreau, Kucherov, etc). Looking at an arbitrary list of the NHL's top 20 centers from NHL.com entering the 2017-18 season, it broke down like this. In brackets is where they were drafted.

1: McDavid (1st 2015)
2: Crosby (1st 2005)
3: Malkin (2nd 2004)
4: Matthews (1st 2016)
5: Backstrom (4th 2006)
6: Tavares (1st 2009)
7: Stamkos (1st 2008)
8: Seguin (2nd 2010)
9: Getzlaf (19th 2003)
10: Scheifele (7th 2011)
11: Bergeron (45th 2003)
12: Toews (3rd 2006)
13: Kopitar (11th 2005)
14: Eichel (2nd 2015)
15: Draisaitl (3rd 2014)
16: Johansen (4th 2010)
17: Barkov (2nd 2013)
18: Carter (11th 2003)
19: Kuznetsov (26th 2010)
20: Monahan (6th 2013)

Now, that list is far from perfect, and there are more guys drafted outside the top 10 than I thought (mostly at the tail end though) and only one guy drafted over 30th overall. Obviously, this list isn't perfect, Nathan MacKinnon a number 1 overall pick would now clearly be in the top 20. But, it gives us a somewhat unbiased look at who the top 20 centers were entering the year. In comparrison, here is NHL.com's top 20 defenders.

1: Karlsson (15th 2008)
2: Burns (20th 2003)
3: Doughty (2nd 2008)
4: Hedman (2nd 2009)
5: Keith (54th 2002)
6: Subban (43rd 2007)
7: Josi (38th 2008)
8: Letang (62nd 2005)
9: Weber (49th 2003)
10: Suter (7th 2003)
11: Ekman-Larsson (6th 2009)
12: Byfuglien (245th 2003, would be undrafted now)
13: Werenski (8th 2015)
14: Pietrangelo (4th 2008)
15: Shattenkirk (14th 2007)
16: Hamilton (9th 2011)
17: McDonagh (12th 2007)
18: Giordano (Undrafted when the draft had 291 picks)
19: Ellis (11th 2009)
20: Cam Fowler (12th 2010)

Again, far from a perfect list, but a decent enough one that you can use it as a proxy for franchise defenders (for example, you can argue Lindholm should be there, but then I could say Slavin should be, etc).

When you compare the 2 lists you get some interesting things. One, the franchise centers list has a total 5 guys who were drafted outside the top 10. 2 of those players were drafted right at 11, and Kuznetsov was viewed as a top 10 prospect who slipt at the height of fears around Russian players staying. We have all of one player over a period that covers 13 drafts (2003-2016) drafted after pick number 20. 11 of the top 20 centers were drafted in the top 3, with a quarter of the list being 1st overall picks. Now, centers get drafted higher on average at the very top, but in general, a bunch of these guys were the first center off the boards in their respective classes (Seguin and Malkin were the first centers off the board in their class). Now, compare the two groups. 5 D on the list were drafted after 45 (where the lowest drafted franchise center was found), 1 guy was undrafted and another was drafted in a round that no longer exists. 7 were found later than the first round, and only 7 were drafted inside the top 10 of the draft.

This reminds me of what I've heard about right-handed prep-pitching prospects, but not quite as extreme, but they have similarities. The first is that teams are much better at identifying who the top centers in the draft are and how they project, whereas D still tends to be hit or miss. In baseball, this has led to the approach you should draft Bats or college arms very early in the draft while taking a shotgun approach outside the first on high-school pitching. Now, I'm not saying teams should ignore someone like Dahlin at the very top, but if you need both positions, gambling on the center is probably the best bet. One, because they seem like a better bet to hit their potential and secondly, your odds of finding a defender, later on, is much higher. I mean, when the only 3 example that were drafted outside the top 15 consist of a guy who slipped due to nationality, and two guys drafted 15 years ago, it is quite telling (although, I fully expect Barzal to be on any updated list, but I'd also expect MacKinnon to push out someone like Carter, which skews it to the very top of the draft even more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Also, lets not act like the only defensive busts or disappointments are the Luke Schenn's and Gudbranson's of the world. There's also guys like Jack Johnson and Bogosian who never came close to living up to their junior reputations. Even someone like EJ has been a slight disappointment. I won't include Hickey because he was such a reach and off-the-board pick. But, there are also guys like Ryan Murray. I'd add, Ekblad hasn't lived up to expectations either. Jones is really the only extremely highly hyped defender at the top of the draft to live up to expectations since Hedman. Guys like Larsson and Murray haven't. Hanifin also hasn't really taken the league by storm. Provorov and Werenski have been pretty good, but they weren't seriously hyped as a high pick to the extent of the others listed. Larsson was hyped as potentially better than Hedman at one point.

Reactions: ps241

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
It’s not about good D-men being expensive it’s about franchises/management overrating they’re players(unless your Chairelli). No GM wants to give up a good player, the more desperate of the team will always give up more to get the need.

I guess the point of discussion is GM’s can be arseholes

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I like the threads that challenge conventional thought process on these boards. There is some resistance even in this thread but the facts far out weigh the opinions here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad