The mystery of Andrew MacDonald

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Here’s my take on Farmer.

The weirdest thing, is that throughout their winning streaks, he plays, and through the 5 game or 10 game losing streak 2 years ago or whatever, he didn’t play. I don’t understand it, but the flyers seem to play better, with his bad play, when he plays.

Farmer is the whipping boy of Flyers hockey. He can’t really do anything right in our eyes, albeit unfair, but he’s kind of earned that distinction with his play. The flyers have realized this unhappy relationship with the fan base. That is why he is the Assistant Captain.

Despite what everyone says, Farmer is part of the reason why Provorov is so good. One thing said about Farmer is that he has the ability to calm down rookies when they get overbearing (TK), nervous (Sanheim), or lost (Hagg). The Provorov - Farmer pairing as the 1/2 punch was not a good pair, although Amacs mishandles in the OZ and NZ, which led to 2-1 rushes (Provy being the 1), taught Provorov how to defend 2-1, 1-1, and gap control. Misreading play in the DZ also taught Provorov how to shut down opposing cycle play or slot feeds quickly. It wasn’t that Farmer helped him, it was merely Provorov being forced to handle the mishaps of Farmer.

He’s an overpaid and over used #6/7 Dman. Sadly, Morin won’t replace him when healthy because of “experience”. Hakstol loves him solely for his veteran presence. Hakstol may be the coach, but only a moron would think he’s a capable 3/4 Dman.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
MacDonald, Russell, Girardi, Orpik, Alzner etc etc.....coaches always have a soft spot for these types.

Reactions: Voight

Evergreen

As a casual Flyers watcher (I enjoy watching Giroux & Provorov) I am mystified by MacDonald's role on the team. He is a decent bottom pairing D. And probably a super-great guy. Overall, he pretty much stinks. The way the Flyers coaching staff seems to be in love with him is just weird. Provy & Ghost are like a shiny new Ferrari; and the guy right behind them is a busted 1996 Honda. Why not use him properly (aka in a limited role)?
We don’t really have anyone better to play in front of him yet. Beyond Ghost and Provorov, we have Sanheim (bit of a disappointing start to the season, although he did miss part of camp), Gudas (who is also more of a #5-6 level guy, Folin (who is a #7 at best and looked awful last night on Colorado), and Hagg, who is another guys suited to bottom pairing duties (although he’s looked good in the first two games).

We were hoping Myers would make the team this year, but he was disappointing in camp and got sent down.

MacDonald gets more minutes than he should because we have a great #1 pair and two bottom pairs. So he gets forced into top-4 minutes, which he isn’t quite good enough to handle.

Sanheim should improve and become the clear #3 guy by the end of the season, but that still requires one of our other bottom pair-level guys to play top 4 minutes.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
obligatory

Watching him in last night's game I was reminded of this video. He has a strange fondness for going prone on the ice. It's almost like what I would do if I was in the NHL, giving up on trying to keep up with players or touch the puck with my stick. Put my body on the ice and hope the puck hits it.

Reactions: StayPuft39

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
No, because we are good at drafting.
So what is the point of that response? I was talking about my favorite Flyers, you are bringing up players on other teams and the Flyers' drafting record. I have no idea what you're getting at.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
i dont see anything completely outrageously bad in this video, you could make one of these for literally any nhl dman and make them look bad

Its a shame really that the video doesn't show any of the incredibly bad starfish manoeuvres he does on the ice.

Let it be known, Andrew Farmer Macdonald is one of the worst defenseman in the NHL

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't know about that. It seemed like by game 15 of his rookie season Provorov was mentoring MacDonald (or dragging him around like a dead weight, whichever you prefer), not the other way around.

No man, don't you know? Mentoring is the most important part of the game. The reason that the Edmonton Oilers have struggled in the McDavid era is because they haven't had a good mentor for McDavid! :sarcasm:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
i dont see anything completely outrageously bad in this video, you could make one of these for literally any nhl dman and make them look bad

You really need to watch him play a whole game to get a full appreciation of his talents. The big problem is that the Flyers use him as a shutdown #3 defenseman. If he was used properly as a bottom pairing guy and paid accordingly he'd be fine.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
You really need to watch him play a whole game to get a full appreciation of his talents. The big problem is that the Flyers use him as a shutdown #3 defenseman. If he was used properly as a bottom pairing guy and paid accordingly he'd be fine.

ive seen a lot of him and thats what ive said multiple times so i completely agree

he takes a lot of shit but its not his fault hes playing too far up the lineup

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
ive seen a lot of him and thats what ive said multiple times so i completely agree

he takes a lot of **** but its not his fault hes playing too far up the lineup

That isn't going to shield him from taking abuse though. He's the guy out there making mistakes, giving up the blue line on every rush, flailing around to no effect, screening his own goalie, playing 2-1's by taking away neither the shooter or the pass, and generally not thinking quickly enough to be able to get the puck out of his own end of the ice. Don't worry about poor A-Mac though; he handles it cool as a cucumber, and he's well compensated for it.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

he takes a lot of **** but its not his fault hes playing too far up the lineup

He would struggle in the AHL, let alone on the bottom line of an NHL team. There is no excuse for this guy to be the NHL on a playoff team. None.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad