The mystery of Andrew MacDonald

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
As a casual Flyers watcher (I enjoy watching Giroux & Provorov) I am mystified by MacDonald's role on the team. He is a decent bottom pairing D. And probably a super-great guy. Overall, he pretty much stinks. The way the Flyers coaching staff seems to be in love with him is just weird. Provy & Ghost are like a shiny new Ferrari; and the guy right behind them is a busted 1996 Honda. Why not use him properly (aka in a limited role)?

Reactions: Lurch

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
He's the vet who brought in Ghost, then Provorov and now is paired with Sanheim; that's his greatest asset (mentoring the young blueliners).

lol.. First of all he is playing with Hagg.. Second, he does not monitor anything...

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I meant Hagg; but my point remains...Macdonald is paired with a rookie blueliner each year to help bring them along.
He does not freaking help... He freaking ruins.. how is the guy who cannot even monitor himself monitors others.. come on man..

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Evidence shows that the rookies he pairs up with does help their NHL development; his skill might not all be there but he is the veteran and I am certain I have read articles indicating that he is one of the teams leaders inside the dressing room and off the ice.

He does not freaking help... He freaking ruins.. how is the guy who cannot even monitor himself monitors others.. come on man..

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
I'm guessing the dude just has a great personality and the coaches love him. Same deal happened when he was on the Islanders, frustrated us too. You hit the nail on the head more or less, he's a fine bottom pairing player but is just trash when played more than that.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Evidence shows that the rookies he pairs up with does help their NHL development; his skill might not all be there but he is the veteran and I am certain I have read articles indicating that he is one of the teams leaders inside the dressing room and off the ice.
He did not freaking help Provorov and Gost.. Hagg needs therapy after playing with him for a year...
Dude.. just stop..
Another thing he is not fine bottom pairing.. he should not be on our team and if not for his big ass contract he would not be...

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Many past articles online showing Macdonald is a mentor...

-----------------
It’s that kind of unnoticed work that has made MacDonald invaluable to his teammates.

“Mac is doing a great job of leading and he leads by example,” Flyers’ defenseman Radko Gudas said. “He does the kind of things young guys should follow, because he does all of the right things and all of the small things that win hockey games. It’s a real treat to have him on our team and he’s been a true leader for us.”
--------------------------------------

He did not freaking help Provorov and Gost.. Hagg needs therapy after playing with him for a year...
Dude.. just stop..
Another thing he is not fine bottom pairing.. he should not be on our team and if not for his big ass contract he would not be...

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
As a casual Flyers watcher (I enjoy watching Giroux & Provorov) I am mystified by MacDonald's role on the team. He is a decent bottom pairing D. And probably a super-great guy. Overall, he pretty much stinks. The way the Flyers coaching staff seems to be in love with him is just weird. Provy & Ghost are like a shiny new Ferrari; and the guy right behind them is a busted 1996 Honda. Why not use him properly (aka in a limited role)?
He's actually pretty dependable when healthy, he's also from Cape Breton and Capers are universally loved :cool:

Reactions: stingo

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

What do you mean “evidence shows”? There’s no way to prove that playing with him made these young defensemen better

Reactions: Helistin

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

MacDonald is like their training wheels.

Training wheels that self-remove mid-ride and explode releasing shrapnel everywhere.

Why do you think those young d-men are so good now? ;)

Reactions: mja

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
It's not that hard to figure out. Hakstol is an awful coach who has no business being in the league and the Flyers are one of the worst organizations in the league when it comes to hiring coaches or earning coaching roles based on merit. To the point where we have retained the head PK coach responsible for a PK that is predictably bottom 3 in the entire league every season for years now with no end in sight.

Reactions: Lurch and Vikke

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
If you're in the US you probably have the Center Ice free preview right now, so tune in. MacDonald is doing his thing tonight...I counted 3 turnovers that led to Avalanche shots in the first period alone, but I might've missed another couple.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
MacDonald is garbage but the organization has a giant blind spot for him. The organization props him up by being some “rookie whisperer” when in reality the young guys make him look better than he is & they do better when finally away from him there’s actual tangible evidence of this in advanced stats & not some fairy tale variety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->