OT: The Movie & TV Thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It is still $4/month, but you need a subscription to Bell or Telus to get it.
that's either changed or is changing, the CRTC made it so they couldn't make it exclusive to their customers since they have exclusive rights to certain programming.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
that's either changed or is changing, the CRTC made it so they couldn't make it exclusive to their customers since they have exclusive rights to certain programming.

Yeah, according to the FAQ it's still only available through a TV provider (for the moment, at least):

You will need to subscribe to CraveTV via your television service provider. Currently, CraveTV is provided by ...

http://help.cravetv.ca/

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Crave > Shomi I don't know about what shows they have, but if the price of Crave has not changed it is the much better deal and they have HBO shows.

Looking at their catalogue now, Louie, The Americans, Vikings and the Blacklist are shows I would recommend.

Thanks, I will make note!

And I still have Shaw, but I got Shomi free for 2 years on a Rogers promotion. I will be getting Crave when it becomes available in Jan for HBO.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Jan. 1st for Crave is what I managed to find! I can't wait, ooooooh gonna binge watch Sopranos!

I watched Bad Boys (1983) starring a very young Sean Penn, not sure how I've never seen it. Awesome movie, although it hasn't aged that great. Always really enjoyed crime/prison movies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks, I will make note!

And I still have Shaw, but I got Shomi free for 2 years on a Rogers promotion. I will be getting Crave when it becomes available in Jan for HBO.
IIRC they also have at least some of the Showtime Collection too, I know they had Nurse Jackie for sure.

My recommendation to binge watch first (after your daughter is in bed, haha) is Oz. Then the Wire. Then Sopranos. Oh how I love HBO shows :laugh:

May 27, 2012
Earth
Interstellar is a great movie. Just finished it just then. It's very interesting not knowing what is out there. Makes you think what kind of stuff happened in the universe. There is a lot of stuff we don't know. In the end we are insignificant and small. Gives you perspective, really.

10/10 movie.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Spotlight was fantastic. Cool that it focused more on the inner workings of investigative journalism over resorting to being preachy about the subject material, which was my fear going in. It has a great all star ensemble cast, of which Mark Ruffalo is the biggest standout. I hope to see this one get some love in the academy awards nominations.

10/10

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Horror (but more psychological/supernatural)

Followed closely by comedy.

Also, mystery/thriller would be another genre (though those usually include drama, action and adventure).

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I'm kinda weird when it comes to movies. I haven't seen a lot of movies that people would call "classics" and I also don't know what genre I prefer most. I guess sci-fi, but it has to be done well for me to really enjoy it.

The same goes for comedy, actually. Growing up I loved comedy movies of all sorts but now that I'm older I find that I only like a very specific kind of comedy... like almost smart humor, if that makes sense. I pretty much loathe dumb comedy, it's just a waste of time IMO.

I also have no time for horror movies.

I guess I'm a movie prude.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Some movies I would suggest that some/most may not have seen before:

Old Boy - Pretty classic foreign film. Great story & good fight scenes. The Korean one is a must, not the American one (though seeing Elizabeth Olsen naked has its perks)

Chopper - Australian flick with Eric Bana. Biopic about one of Australia's most notorious criminals. Watch the movie then look him up, very interesting cat.

The Castle - Another Australian comedy, though the comedy is a little dry. One of my favorites. Something about the Australian accent that makes anything they say just hilarious.

I'm also going to throw this out there: Daredevil, the Director's cut! Don't laugh, the theatrical version was a joke, and the Director's Cut is no classic, but I enjoy it for how much better it is than the original.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
I enjoy:

Sci-Fi
Action/Adventure
A Scary Horror Movie
Nothing too gory
Anything with:
- Val Kilmer
- Michael Keaton
- Sam Worthington
- Sigourney Weaver
- Bruce Willis

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IIRC they also have at least some of the Showtime Collection too, I know they had Nurse Jackie for sure.

My recommendation to binge watch first (after your daughter is in bed, haha) is Oz. Then the Wire. Then Sopranos. Oh how I love HBO shows :laugh:

I've always wanted to check out Oz. I've pretty much seen all the Sopranos but will likely watch again as its been a while.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Like music, I'm a total hipster when it comes to shows/movies. I take it all in. Love docs, comedy (of all kind), dramas; huge horror fan... I don't really like the cheese ball stuff, I like smart b-horror/sci-fi but not stuff like Sharknado or its million spinoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad