OT: The Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Nothing awesome for sure but entertaining enough for me to watch it till the end.

Yeah, I really liked the raw primal aspect of it - showing humanity as it probably really looked like back then.

But the story just wasn't going anywhere, and I honestly didn't care about a single character, so I was like, "why am I watching?"

I'll give it another shot because I really do like most of the cast and Viking lore in general.

Reactions: Embiid

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was the end of my one-guess streak. Those movies all completely melt together for me, even once I knew what I was dealing with it took some tries

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If you guys like the Dune books, you should check out the SciFi miniseries.

It has hats.

1653505373007.png

1653505394081.png

1653505423058.png

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Another 1st try for me on todays Framed.

Liotta was more than Goodfellas, but I always felt like he was underutilized as the 90's transitioned into the 2000's. Just a great actor that brought his scenes to life.

One of his more recent supporting performances I thought was terrific was in The Place Beyond the Pines.

He's got a new series coming out this year plus 5 other films were either completed, in post, or filming

Truthfully though, if he stopped acting after Goodfellas he would still be a legend.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Another 1st try for me on todays Framed.

Liotta was more than Goodfellas, but I always felt like he was underutilized as the 90's transitioned into the 2000's. Just a great actor that brought his scenes to life.

One of his more recent supporting performances I thought was terrific was in The Place Beyond the Pines.

He's a new series coming out this year plus 5 other films were either completed, in post, or filming

Truthfully though, if he stopped acting after Goodfellas he would still be a legend.

I always felt that he did something to blacklist himself somehow. I could never figure out why he wasn’t the lead in more stuff.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Watched Top Gun: Maverick today and it was very significantly better than I expected it to be.

Going into this I wasn't sure about the huge time gap and the attempt to recapture nostalgia... but honestly was going mainly to see the REAL PRACTICAL AIR COMBAT/FLYING on a big screen.

The movie starts off like identical to Top Gun and I mean literally identical with the same type of shots of an aircraft carrier and planes landing, aircraft being taken care of, etc... The title graphics, music, and everything is identical to what was used in Top Gun and almost made you wonder if they were using the wrong movie reel.

Then you get to see where "Maverick" is and realize here's the new movie. One of the aspects that always seemed odd is how the hell like 35 years later is a guy in his mid 50s to approaching 60 (depending on how old Maverick was in Top Gun) actually still an active duty fighter pilot? Turns out that he actually isn't. He's a test pilot. (Although we do find out he flew combat missions at least through Iraq War 2)

The movie plot plays very much goes for what most will view as a Star Wars trench run type scenario. Which to be fair Star Wars ripped off from a REAL LIFE situation in WWII with the "Dambusters" bombing mission which was turned into multiple movies actually.

In terms of execution the air stuff is top notch and probably even better than the original. The character of Maverick is actually less of a dick than the original movie as well.

Plausibility of the movie kinda takes a real nosedive in the last 15-20 minutes of the film with humor injected, but some really unlikely scenarios.

The Val Kilmer appearance was cool and given his battle (continued battle? with cancer) the decision to work that into the plotline given his speaking ability I assume was thought to make sense... but seems bad mojo to die in a movie from cancer when you're battling it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
This info shocked me today.

TG Maverick is expected to make approx 125 million in the 3 day opening. That will be Tom's biggest opening of his career.

His previous biggest was 65 million for War of the Worlds.

I would have thought one....even some...of his other movies would have opened to 100+ million.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad