The most underrated players in the NHL

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
Not really. People don't understand when he's at his best, no one is better. He's nearly as productive as Karlsson, and just as dominant defensively as Keith or Doughty.

People don't recognize that and is therefore, underrated.

Proof?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not really. People don't understand when he's at his best, no one is better. He's nearly as productive as Karlsson, and just as dominant defensively as Keith or Doughty.

Letang has three problems:

1- Injuries. Not his fault, but he has a hard time staying healthy. I'm not talking about his stroke, but it seems that just like Malkin, he misses a lot of games due to minor injuries.

2- He's inconsistent. Some days he looks like the best D in the league, other days he has brain cramps and makes terrible decisions all over the ice.

3- Prone to taking bad, ill-timed penalties.

He's still a top 5 or top 10 D at worst.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Letang has three problems:

1- Injuries. Not his fault, but he has a hard time staying healthy. I'm not talking about his stroke, but it seems that just like Malkin, he misses a lot of games due to minor injuries.

2- He's inconsistent. Some days he looks like the best D in the league, other days he has brain cramps and makes terrible decisions all over the ice.

3- Prone to taking bad, ill-timed penalties.

He's still a top 5 or top 10 D at worst.

Everyone has bouts of inconsistency. There's this false narrative that Doughty doesn't look like **** from time to time. He most certainly does.

Another example is in the Tampa series. Letang struggled in games 4 and 5 while the team as a whole was. Hedman struggled the following two games we won and took the series.

His penalties haven't been a problem for awhile now. That was a big issue moreso in '12 and '13.

Injuries are the only legit excuse, IMO. And that has nothing to do with his ability. Nor does it disprove my statement that when he's at his best, no one's better.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I've always found Backstrom to be pretty underrated. The fact that he has only been to one All-Star game (not saying this is the only factor) in his career is pretty shocking.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

No, he's not.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Semyon Varlamov
Tanner Pearson
Josh Manson
Viktor Arvidsson
Jared Spurgeon
Tomas Tatar

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Everyone has bouts of inconsistency. There's this false narrative that Doughty doesn't look like **** from time to time. He most certainly does.

Another example is in the Tampa series. Letang struggled in games 4 and 5 while the team as a whole was. Hedman struggled the following two games we won and took the series.

His penalties haven't been a problem for awhile now. That was a big issue moreso in '12 and '13.

Injuries are the only legit excuse, IMO. And that has nothing to do with his ability. Nor does it disprove my statement that when he's at his best, no one's better.

Every player has bouts of inconsistency, but Letang's play can swing very quickly from amazing to terrible. Karlsson is like that too, but not Doughty and Keith. They always play roughly at the same level.

Penalties can still be an issue, like when he gave a chance for the Caps to get back in the series by being suspended in game 4.

I agree that Letang at his best is the best or second best D in the league, but it's the same thing as Malkin when he goes beast mode.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Based on what?

GA and possession are in Letang's favor last season.

Also the fact Letang barely ever gets beat one on one no matter who he's up against. Karlsson could fill a youtube video of him getting walked.

You can say your team's worse and he has no supporting cast.

I can come back and say Letang anchored a D unit full of developing talent and players dumped from their former teams to a Stanley Cup.

Keith had Hjalmarsson and Seabrook past years. Doughty had Muzzin and Voynov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad