The most surprising team at the quarter mark...who is it?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is just empty garbage until you provide some numbers. Of course they will regress. They're 15-0-1 in their last 16 games lol.

The key is... when and to what.

By January they will start to slow down.

They will finish between 98-102 points.

Happy?

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'll say Calgary. Even though I consider them pretenders, regular season is where they should be thriving. They've played a lot of road games though, and have characteristically never been road warriors. But even beyond what we see on the ice there seems to be problems.

I don't think there are any surprises. It's 1/4 of the season. It happens every year but the standings will start to level out to where teams should be.

Panthers are one of the worst teams defensively in the league and are fighting back being down a lot of games. Not sustainable hockey and expect them to slowly fall down the standings.

Islanders have good horses but you won't play that style for 82 games straight and playoffs. The wheels will come off, they are not a team like Tampa who was historically good.

Leafs have been terrible but made a coaching change, expect to see them be considerably better.

Tampa is not a non playoff team and will be back in.

Oilers had a real hot start but have more or less been .500 since. They are riding the ever loving god out of their top line of Drai and McD and they will run out of gas down the stretch like they normally do.

We'll see how all of these things go. For reference if you look at the top 10 teams in PDO, nearly all of them have over achieved thus far. Meanwhile the bottom 10 has several key teams down there that are under achieving. Canes, Leafs, Flames, Knights, Sharks should all be playoff teams.
Islanders almost won the division last year my dude. And then swept their first round. I'm not saying they're gonna continue their points streak until the end of the season, but they aren't going away. At this point, if they go .500 they still might win the division lol. Trotz is the real deal

And as for the Oilers, I don't think it's very accurate to say that their guns will fall off "like they normally do" (they don't). That's not why they missed last year. And it certainly was not the case when they made the playoffs two years ago. Their problems have always lied in goal prevention and their roughshod defense corps. Two years ago Talbot put together a mammoth season to mask that problem. Now they have Tippett, so make of that what you will.

I expected worse growing pains from the Panthers. I think it's a great indicator for their future that they can be so porous with a new coach and new goaltending, yet still come out with so many wins. As for this season, I also don't find it sustainable. If they clean up their act a little bit they'll make the cut, but continuing at this rate is untenable.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
By January they will start to slow down.

They will finish between 98-102 points.

Happy?

Yes, I'm elated. I now at least understand your post. The Isles will regress from being a 135 point team to still being a top-of-the league 100 point team.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Good:
Oilers
Yotes
Ott.

Bad
Leafs
Devils (expected a fringe wild card)
Rangers

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto and Islanders

didn’t see any of them being where they are prior to the season starting

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yes, I'm elated. I now at least understand your post. The Isles will regress from being a 135 point team to still being a top-of-the league 100 point team.

I think they'll finish 2nd in the Metro and lose in the 1st round. :naughty:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Positive Surprise:

Islanders: I continue to doubt and they continue to make me look dumb. Hats off to them. Will stop doubting.

Oilers: I didn't think they were as bad as some thought (I had them as a playoff bubble team), but I didn't anticipate this.

Canucks: I figured that they would be improved, but not this improved.

Negative:

Vegas: I had them as the WC champions. I still think they'll be fine.

San Jose: They're starting to kick it into gear, but that team is better than its record.

Calgary: I had them as a bubble team but making it, and they're anything but right now.

Chicago: I had them as a bubble team and making it, and they've gotten better recently, but I thought they would be much improved.

Nashville: Lots of talent everywhere. Might need a coaching shakeup.

I won't put Toronto or Tampa in this list because I think they'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad