The most stunning pick of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Epsilon said:
It's just more of the same: people from Newfoundland automatically overrating hockey players from there. He probably still thinks Harold Druken is going to be an NHL star.

:dunno: He's not?!? :confused:

Seriously, though, Mior is a decent prospect and has better potential than his ranking would indicate. The way I see him, he's a very good technical and reflex goalie, with two very big problems (decision making and his five hole). So the base skills are there to make a good pro goalie, but there are some enormous impediments to that.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, he (Niskanen) might be a guy who sneaks into the first round. He's got tremendous skill.

I can only wonder how many of the people talking about Niskanen on this thread have seen him play at all or beyond a game or two.

It may look like he is highly skilled when compared to his opponents on the Iron Range in Class A high school hockey (which is not difficult to do considering the Iron Range isn't nearly what it used to be) but until he has guys out there against him that are at his ability level or greater on a consistent basis, I feel the jury is out and it will be very risky for any team to take him too high. I think the late 2nd round to somewhere in the 3rd round is the highest he should go.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
hockeyman28 said:
I wouldnt be surprised to see Colton Yellow Horn somewhere in the 2nd or late 1st. With these new rule changes, having a waterbug like Yellowhorn may be what a team is looking for. He had a great year in the W, and I think he may surprise some people.

He'll be lucky to be a first-day selection.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
hockeyman28 said:
I wouldnt be surprised to see Colton Yellow Horn somewhere in the 2nd or late 1st. With these new rule changes, having a waterbug like Yellowhorn may be what a team is looking for. He had a great year in the W, and I think he may surprise some people.

The only team that would even think of that is the Flames: "Sutter Hockey"

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Minnesota Norse Star said:
The only team that would even think of that is the Flames: "Sutter Hockey"

What are you talking about? Colton doesn't really fit the mold at all.

A Good Flying Bird*

Balej's Dance said:
USNTDP: Justin Mercier.

Justin Mercier is a good young player.
I saw about 20 USA NTDP games last year, and while everyone talks about Johnson, Skille, Stoa and Frazee, Mercier quickly became my favorite player.
He's quick. He's gritty. He's got a great shot. And he scores clutch goals.

Three other kids I saw that don't seem to get much play on the boards are Niklas Hjalmarsson, Frederik Pettersson and an Mikael Kurki.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
pavel datsyuk said:
i'm gunna say Hanzel, top 10.

I'm not sure. Personally I feel he's far more likely to fall. With him ducking and scrambling away from the Canadian hits, the guy plays scared. He was, in that game at least, terrified to get hit. I'm not sure this is going to inspire much confidence in GMs to pick him.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I'm not sure. Personally I feel he's far more likely to fall. With him ducking and scrambling away from the Canadian hits, the guy plays scared. He was, in that game at least, terrified to get hit. I'm not sure this is going to inspire much confidence in GMs to pick him.

Maybe, but its never scared away Gm's before on players that are pure offensive players. Mind you, the guy is 6'4" 200 lbs and still growing. If he adds 20 more pounds, the guy will be a beast, plus he has all the offensive skills in the world.

I think he will be a big surprise on draft day hitting possibly the top 10.

Thats not to say that I would pick him top 10. When desire is questioned....that kind of player scares the hell outta me.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
zetterberg40 said:
being a UofM fan, this kid has comrie skill written all over him :yo: :teach:

Interesting as I saw him on CSB's rankings last year and pegged him as a sleeper pick, if I did last year, then why not this year too!!!

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MePutPuckInNet said:
Bob ranked Cogliano at #18, ISS ranked him at #24. Why would anyone be stunned if he went in the first round? Honestly, if you've seen this kid play, I can't imagine why you'd be shocked if he was a first round pick.

I'll be shocked if he's NOT. [not to mention pissed off]

Bob's biased. Cogliano plays on his sons junior A squad.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I see Hensick and Brian Lee going higher then most people think, especially Hensick.

I see Latendresse slipping lower then most people think.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
monster_bertuzzi said:

You say that like that's a bad thing. He's a great hockey analyst, and getting to see him extensively only makes me think he's even more correct.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:

I don't necessarily agree with Cogliano's ranking, but every scout has their own bias. Everyone has certain prospects they really like (how they play) that may not be the best player overall but subsequently still get ranked higher.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't necessarily agree with Cogliano's ranking, but every scout has their own bias. Everyone has certain prospects they really like (how they play) that may not be the best player overall but subsequently still get ranked higher.

I look at it this way: He played in a lower league, and put up almost 2 points per game. If he played in the CHL, and put up a PPG, would he still be considered a 1st rounder?

I think the answer is yes. In fact, i'd go as far as to say that he would be ranked higher.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Slangston_Hughes said:
Everyone's favorite hockey club the Toronto Maple Leafs will hold the first pick of the draft. They intend on selecting Sidney Crosby, but Crosby lets it be known publicly that he has no intention of EVER playing for the Maple Leafs. In a shocker the Leafs select him anyways, and Crosby being the great sport that he is, walks up to the podium and has his photograph taken with Leafs brass. He refuses to put on the Leaf sweater/hat. Because so, he is greeted to a chorus of boos from Leaf fans attending the draft held in the Corel centre.

Crosby is later dealt to the New York Rangers in exchange for Eric Lindros and two second round picks.

So the surprise pick of the draft is Crosby to Toronto...Even though he hates the city the fans and the hockey club. :)

;-) nice.

habbyfan60

Mar 23, 2005
Epsilon said:
It's just more of the same: people from Newfoundland automatically overrating hockey players from there. He probably still thinks Harold Druken is going to be an NHL star.

Typical western perception of the east coast. Our numbers are far greater than yours in the west and i would bet per capita, we're much better than yours. Stop being so narrow minded.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
habbyfan60 said:
Typical western perception of the east coast. Our numbers are far greater than yours in the west and i would bet per capita, we're much better than yours. Stop being so narrow minded.
Numbers of what?

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
habbyfan60 said:

Where the heck did that come from? Fact: two posters, both from Newfoundland, massively inflated the draft position of Mior when there is no evidence at all to suggest any team or scout feels that way about him. I've seen the same thing in the past with Harold Druken, Nathan Dempsey, and others. And what exactly do you mean by "east coast"? Do you seriously think the maritimes produce more hockey players than western Canada? And if you are counting Ontario and Quebec as east coast, please point out where I said anything about players from that region.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Hedberg16 said:
Kris Russell could go in the second round.
Honestly, that would not surprise me in the least. If a team likes him enough (and I'm sure some do), he could go early. He deserves to, in my opinion.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
A few predictions

Jakub Kindl (-) He has alot of talent. My impression is scouts have given him the thuimbs down on grit/aggression. I would say early 2nd. i could easily see an ottawa take a chance on him.

Scott Jackson (+) I see him picking up a few spots because he is rated as aggressive and defensive.

Andrew Cogliano (-) Though highly touted here at HF, he barely seems to get notice. i say Chris Bourque kind of range 35-40.

J.P. Levasseur (-) Second round. Some have as high as Top 10.

Luc Bordon (+) Luc is the 2nd best dman in this draft 10-15.

Stastny Round 2. Someone will take a chance on bloodlines.

Alex Bourret Top 10.

Jack Johnson will be chosen 2nd.

Brule 3rd.

Pouliot 4th

Ryan 5th

Kopitar 6th

Staal 7th

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
Well I think this year "Blake Wheeler pick" will be Brian Lee. He will maybe not be picked 5th but I think he will go higher than most people think.

Another guy who will be picked earlier than expected is Nathan Gerbe. I'd say he will go on first day or early in the second day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad