The most stunning pick of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Oilers Chick said:
In last year's draft the Coyotes used their 5th overall pick to take Blake Wheeler, much to the surprise/shock of many draft followers.

So who is it going to be this year and where will he go?

I believe we'll find out when we hear the HS'ers name

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Everyone's favorite hockey club the Toronto Maple Leafs will hold the first pick of the draft. They intend on selecting Sidney Crosby, but Crosby lets it be known publicly that he has no intention of EVER playing for the Maple Leafs. In a shocker the Leafs select him anyways, and Crosby being the great sport that he is, walks up to the podium and has his photograph taken with Leafs brass. He refuses to put on the Leaf sweater/hat. Because so, he is greeted to a chorus of boos from Leaf fans attending the draft held in the Corel centre.

Crosby is later dealt to the New York Rangers in exchange for Eric Lindros and two second round picks.

So the surprise pick of the draft is Crosby to Toronto...Even though he hates the city the fans and the hockey club. :)

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
As an Oiler fan I understand the question perfectly. Identify the guy who no one thinks will go in the first round and name him. I call this skill a Niinimaki. :D

I don't know that he'll go in the first round, but a player who is going to surprise imo is Mason Raymond. I don't see him on several of the mocks at HF (hats off, btw, read them all) but there is a bit of a buzz about this player.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Lowetide said:
As an Oiler fan I understand the question perfectly. Identify the guy who no one thinks will go in the first round and name him. I call this skill a Niinimaki. :D

I don't know that he'll go in the first round, but a player who is going to surprise imo is Mason Raymond. I don't see him on several of the mocks at HF (hats off, btw, read them all) but there is a bit of a buzz about this player.

He's an '85 right? It seems as though a guy who has been passed over in a draft previously doesn't have that shine or luster.

Whats the buzz on this guy?

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
He's an '85 right? It seems as though a guy who has been passed over in a draft previously doesn't have that shine or luster.

Whats the buzz on this guy?

Very fast, lots of skill.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oilers Chick said:
In last year's draft the Coyotes used their 5th overall pick to take Blake Wheeler, much to the surprise/shock of many draft followers.

So who is it going to be this year and where will he go?

Good question. I don't think there will be a player selection so off the wall like Wheeler's last year, but a guy like Lavallee could be picked higher than expected (2nd round perhaps). For the first round, I'm having trouble coming up with a true shocker, although guys like Marc Staal and Brian Lee might surprise. On the flipside, I wouldn't be surprised if Brule slipped a bit.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
If we're going HS shocker, I'm going to say Matt Niskanen.

For that matter,

OHL shocker: Radek Smolenak.
WHL shocker: Brodie Dupont.
Q shocker: Slava Trukhno.
USNTDP: Justin Mercier.
Euro: Petr Kalus.
(The cat was let out of the bag with him going third overall in the import draft.)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Balej's Dance said:
If we're going HS shocker, I'm going to say Matt Niskanen.

For that matter,

OHL shocker: Radek Smolenak.
WHL shocker: Brodie Dupont.
Q shocker: Slava Trukhno.
USNTDP: Justin Mercier.
Euro: Petr Kalus.
(The cat was let out of the bag with him going third overall in the import draft.)

Good call on Niskanen. I was thinking of him as well. He could go in the 2nd round for sure. He's got a great shot of being on the U.S. WJC team as well.

CH Wizard

Martin Hanzal.

Some ranked him in their top 10 and others project him to go late first/start of the second round.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I'm glad SOME of you understood the question.

To those that did....who do you all see as falling say, out of the first or second round into a latter round? (a la Wes O'Neill in last summer's draft)

Niskanen is an interesting pick. I've heard/read many good things about him. Anyone seen him play, is he as good as some of the scouting reports say he is?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Oilers Chick said:
I'm glad SOME of you understood the question.

To those that did....who do you all see as falling say, out of the first or second round into a latter round? (a la Wes O'Neill in last summer's draft)

I could see Latendresse take a dive. A guy who I would personally stay far away from is Mikko Lehtonen. Chris Durand is another name to throw out there for dropping stock.

This draft is going to be one of the most entertaining in awhile. You have a Superstar Crosby, great top 5 after that, then some 7-20 picks who could be interchangeable, there's mystery guys like Kindl, Anikeenko, Vojta who I have no idea how high GM's think of them. I see them in mocks anywhere from 20-60. Heart and soul, passionate players that may be taken earlier than talent level would suggest in McQuaid, Dupont, Abdelkader, Beaulieu, Fraser, Downie, Gragnani, Roy.

Ahh, make it happen NHL.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I'm going to tap Mikko Lehtonen. Some team is going to go wayyyyyy off the board (15-17) for this guy.

Divine Wind

Rabid Ranger said:
Good call on Niskanen. I was thinking of him as well. He could go in the 2nd round for sure. He's got a great shot of being on the U.S. WJC team as well.

Agreed. I picked him for my 2nd round selection in a mock draft on the Oiler's board. He also Captained his foot ball team, sounds like an all around great athelete.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Agree with the Niskanen pick as well. I think he could end up a mid first rounder. He is a year older than most draftees, but that may be exactly what is attractive about him. He may not have the "hockey maturity" but it is a factor in other areas.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Legionnaire said:
Agree with the Niskanen pick as well. I think he could end up a mid first rounder. He is a year older than most draftees, but that may be exactly what is attractive about him. He may not have the "hockey maturity" but it is a factor in other areas.

Yeah, he might be a guy who sneaks into the first round. He's got tremendous skill.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Balej's Dance said:
I could see Latendresse take a dive. A guy who I would personally stay far away from is Mikko Lehtonen. Chris Durand is another name to throw out there for dropping stock.

Guillame Latendresse is my "x factor" for the draft. He's the one guy that I think people are going to be shocked where he goes. I think he could break into the top five if the right team has a pick in the area, or plummet to the end of the first round. I've said all along, it depends on when people saw him, and if they believe the good gamesof Latendresse are representative of his NHL potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad